1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H3DG Bundle Options (opinions please)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by meep, Dec 20, 2002.

1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi All,

anyone any comments on the following;

http://www.jvb.nl/jvb.asp?cur=1&section=dvdplayers&page=title&title=116
    (Pioneer DV-656S-SDI + Holo3DGraph card - €1,799 ex VAT)

http://www.jvb.nl/jvb.asp?cur=1&section=dvdplayers&page=title&title=115
    (Pioneer DV-757Ai-SDI + Holo3DGraph card - €2,299 ex VAT)

Is this outrageously expensive for what you get (region free DVD player with SDI mod + Holo3Dgraph card)?. Anyone bought from these people before? Any alternates anyone would suggest? Anyone want to buy a Delta 410 to help pay for this?

Thanks

Peter

(BTW - that's not a serious sale offer re. 410... yet!)

2. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my player from JVB and they were very quick. Don't go for a Pioneer if you want a chroma bug free player. Go for the Panasonic DVD-RA82 SDI + Holo3DGraph card combo in region 2 modded to multi-region. I think the Region 2 players ship from the EU and have no extra customs duty on them.

Dan

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hmm,

I'm not too up on this chroma bug thing. It seems from limited searches here that many people are saying it's not a big deal.

I was thinking pioneer simply because I've acquired a new Pioneer VSX D2011 and could easily control each device from the receiver remote without much set-up hassel.

Now, I've also seen a few posts saying that with a component/holo3d combo, I'm not going to see much difference between that and a good TT set-up and the SDI is just about even is slightly better than TT.

Well, for almost €3,000 I would expect a significant improvement. Right now I'm getting VERY upset with full HTPC implementation. It's a load of hassle to set up right, is stuttering and freezing intermittently and generally does not have the useability I would have expected (and this from someone who is a programmer and can make the machine do pretty much anything).

Part of the idea with the move to out-board DVD deck is to eliminate the need for user interaction with the PC for general DVD playback. I'll leave the PC always on, and people just need to hit the power and device buttons on the remote to select a source, hit play and off we go.

That's the current thinking - but €3,000 is an awful lot of money for some enhanced usability!

Thoughts please........

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and thats not to mention that the usability is not yet full proof......

If you shop around a bit...... im almost certain you can build yourself the same combos for somewhat less. Talk to Jenz, he has a very tasty set up which i think he will be marketing pretty soon.

ad

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I bought a H3D on the EAP and shortly after I got it my DVD player gave up the ghost, I then sourced an SDI player from JVB, very helpful and quick delivery. I went for the Panny RA82 because it allegedly has the best MPEG decoder around, seemed silly investing in the H3D without giving it the best possible source.
    I'm delighted with the results, I had my BG808s installed about 1 month ago and the picture is stunning, absolutely no stuttering on R1 or 2 at all and as long as you go for the stable releases H3D is excellent too, you could argue that if you want to tweak you can get even better results thro' Dscaler.

I consider it to be a very good investment, how much would the alternative have cost?

Steve

6. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Steve,

The thing is, the alternative costs nothing. i already have the HTPC, DVD ROM and TT with an ATI 8500 video card, WinTV card and dScaler.

My conundurum is, on out board deck will give me much better ease of use and WAF but the cost is a lot if I'm not going to see marked image improvement as well. I know I'll certainly get better from my sky box via rgb/component into the H3D but will I see the same improvement in DVD quality - probably not.

I'd hate to splash out that amount and find I have nothing really to show for it at the end of the day.

Maybe I'll go for the card first and test it with a component out DVD to see if I like the general set-up and then spring for an SDI player...

7. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Meep,

I once fell by the wayside but now I'm a born-again HCPC-er.

My original HCPC was based around PowerDVD which had a picture quality that was obviously better than my DVD player (Toshiba SD9000) in terms of clarity and detail but suffered from occasional frame drops. It happened maybe two or three times during a movie but was sufficiently annoying that I eventually gave it up and went back to the inferior picture quality of the DVD player but got a flawlessly smooth running in return.

A few weeks ago I tried the HCPC again out of curiosity and was bowled over by the clarity and improved detail. I knew I'd have to perservere with it.

I decided to trial TheaterTek. I'm knocked out again. TheaterTek shows as much improvement over PowerDVD as PowerDVD has over my DVD player. And NO frame drops, stutters, freezes, anything. Totally rock solid. If you go to the TT support forum you'll find that frame-drops, stutters, etc are a problem still for some people and its not known exactly what is causing it or why some people get it and some people don't. Evidence appears to be focusing on refresh frequency as playing a part.

For me, I couldn't be happier. I have an advantage in that I have a projector with DVI input therefore I can utilise a purely digital path from disk to projector panel - something that no DVD player can offer. I'm convinced I have a picture as good (if not better) then I could get with any DVD player at any price.

Would an SDI output DVD player via Holo3D look any better. Possibly, slightly, but looking at the PQ here I can't imagine how. The advantage a DVD player would have would be the quality of the SPDIF output. I plan to address that with an M-Audio card shortly.

Useability - I've just placed an order for an "irman". This, in conjunction with Girder, will allow me to use a conventional remote to control TheaterTek. I'll probably use the remote from the Toshiba 9000. As this is a dedicated HCPC, it just boots straight into TT. Functionaly there will be little difference between this and a regular DVD player.

For reference, this is my setup:

1.3GHz Celeron, i815EP m/board, 256MB
    WinME, DirectX 8.1b, Intel Application Accelerator
    Radeon 7500 with Catalyst 2.5 drivers
    SBLive 4.1 with current web-update drivers
    TheaterTek 1.5.0.18

Epson TW100 Proj, 1280x720@60Hz via DVI

Allan

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Software player quality has gone up an extra notch with the Radeon 9500/9700 and DX9, the mpeg artifacts I could see on the R1 version of monsters Inc are now gone and the PQ is every bit as good as my SDI setup. The one thing SDI/DScaler gives you that a software player can't is perfect zero stutter playback at 71.928Hz (or 47.592). Its getting better but still not perfect. Since this only applies to CRT displays anyway many people will have little to gain from an SDI setup from a PQ point of view.

Allan,

M-Audio owners have had more audio/stutter problems than most, if you have a working setup you might want to rethink.

Jeff

9. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Jeff,

The only time I notice any mpeg blocking with TT 1.5/7500 is when I shrink or enlarge the picture using TT's Aspect Ratio Editor. Any adjustment away from the default (1280x720 in my case) and the PQ goes softer, noisier and blocky. Cancel the adjustment and everything snaps back into clarity.

Purely horizontal or vertical adjustment is fine, the only problem is shrinking or enlarging, so I don't bother.

I wonder if this is what you were seeing. Maybe the increased precision (10bit vs 8bit ?) of the R300 core on the 9500 has eliminated this problem.

Where did you buy the 9500 from ?

I'll probably purchase an M-Audio Revolution when they become available. If it brings on the advent of stutters to my HCPC setup that don't look like being resolved I'll take the financial loss in selling it on.

Allan

10. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Before my DVD player packed in I had component into my H3D and it negligeable between it and TT for PQ maybe TT a touch better but the audio side and as Jeff has said zero stutter sold me on it. When my DVD player blew it was a no-brainer to go SDI for me.

Useability was critical, the only other alternative was probably a S/A Scaler (as I've got a TAG setup it would have been costly :p )

I've not seen 1.5 TT yet but believe it's raised the bar for SW players.

Each to his own :D

Steve

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm very careful not to introduce scaling artifacts, I run at 1440x960 and I don't use TT since its not easy to switch its AR and scaling functions off. I run Zoom player with AR disabled. So any improvements I see aren't related to scaling or AR control.

12. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Go for the card, easy to use and great quality inputs. JVB offer excellent service. SDI Vs. S-video on panny player (RP82) not much in it via barco 808s, had four friends round and none could see the difference, I can - But I look for it, they watch the film.

I think far to many people spend more time looking for the slight improvements they forget about what it was bought for in the 1st place. Done em all, HTPC, SDI, H3D, Scaler (which I prefer for ease of use) but I like the aspect control in the H3D software.

SDI is good but until the mods come down I'd say leave it.

13. JVB

JVB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

14. JVB

JVB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0