1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H3D card, is it worth the big bucks?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dvdbrowser.com, Nov 27, 2002.

1. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If not what other options do you recommend for getting the best out of digital TV signals and onto a plasma screen.

I have not heard owners of the H3D praise how good the card is.
    There was a big interest when this card was announced and now all is quiet.

How about Dscaler?

All reply's welcome, don't be shy!

Steve.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I love my H3D, it my favorite piece of kit and id recommend it to anyone who has the money to try it out! It just makes for such a fantastically simple hcpc solution, no messing with sound, software player.... just plug and go.

Having listened to Jeff a bit, I use dscaler now with the card, i like the additional control it gives as much as anything, and i think the colors are more accurate with it than the H3d application.

The only reservation I have for you is your use. I get the impression your primary aim is for digital tv..... it seems like a lot of money for digital tv! If you were going to be using it for dvd as well id recommend it whole heartedly.... but you are arent even going to be using the components or sdi..... just seems a bit of a waste of cash.

ad

3. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns,

I'm using TT 1.5 at the mom for DVD and pretty well pleased with the picture.
    Will the H3D increase on the DVD pic quality front?
    I suspect that i will have to go the separate DVD player c/w SDI, is this the case?

Steve.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im not in a position really to comment on a comparison with software dvd's, i havent done anything mroe than a very quick play with them. I think im right in saying that the view is that hardware mpeg decoding is better than that of software, so you should be able to get better results using an external player (not necessarily having to go as far as sdi). But that said, if you are happy with the picture you have, you maybe dont need to go looking for improvements.

Going the H3d route will turn out costly.... you will feel obliged to go sdi! :D is there anyone near you who has a card which you could take a look at?

ad

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I have an Xcard the output is better any DVD player under 200 quid I have seen except the Tosh's

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Re SDI HTPC vs Theatertek 1.5

On the face of it software players like Theatertek look very good, vibrant, sharp etc, but now that I have a SDI player to compare it with, I can see some of it flaws. Last night I looked at Monsters Inc, TheaterTek showed some quite horrendous mpeg blocking artifacts, yet everything looks perfect on my Denon 1600 SDI.
    The other main problem area is deinterlacing, no matter what settings you go for you will see some pretty bad stuff going on, even if its just the video based inro/menus at the beginning. SDI players give a level of consistency that is very reassuring, with software players one minute you are thinking WOW what a Picture then :eek: WHAT'S THAT!