1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h30a bargains

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by p5yco, Oct 28, 2005.

1. p5yco

p5yco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    now that the h30a has been discontinued, i would be grateful if you could post the best bargains available for this projector as the shops with units in stock should surely bring their prices down. cheers

2. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Given the H30a is in short supply, and that a replacement won't be avaiable for a long time, prices will not dive through the floor. Having said that, we've knocked #100 off to clear ours through.

Dealers will probably be willing to negotiate, althoug I wouldn't bank on them knowing of it's demise, it came as rather a shock to us and Themescene.

3. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    We tried to order the very last, but had all gone, we had completely sold out and had customers waiting, all came as a bit of a shock really...ho humm and coming so close to xmas

H57 has come down in price, so that's more of a bargain! :thumbsup:

4. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its £780 in Germany - dont know if they have started discounting further yet but its up to a couple hundred cheaper than average uk price although some now selling for £900 in the UK. Its fairly hassle free importing but not as easy as buying in the UK obviously but you may well get a better price/deal.

pricecheck: http://www.geizhals.at/deutschland/a162119.html
    cheapest retailer: http://www.screenmaxx.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=h30a&x=0&y=0
    Oh and you have great rights as an EU consumer: www.euroconsumer.org.uk

HTH :thumbsup:
    sainthalo

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's nowhere near a couple of hundred below UK price, plus the UK gets a 3 year warranty. See thread about hassle importing, delivery charges, service, unwillingness to accept returns.

P5yco, ring around dealers, ask if you can see one running and what the best price is, you may snag a bargain. I am impressed every time I fire the H30a and find it can compete admirably with some of the better specced LCD models - we had people choosing H30a over AE700 when we sold them for exactly the same price!

6. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why has the h30a been discontinued, is it because they couldnt drop the price any lower to compete with the infocus 4505 perhaps?

7. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No, it's because they will bring out a 720p projector - that's really what people are increasingly wanting. It's just a shame they had to kill a very popular projector coming in to the busy season.

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup, its hard to imagine why anyone would buy a projector that couldn't do 720p nowadays, unless they were new to the whole scene so on that count i guess the h30a is a good deal considering a decent plasma would cost nearly twice as much but the low native resolution is a killer for me. Only reason i love my H30 is because it is 4:3 and its native resolution is 800*600 which is perfect for PC output :smashin:

Benji any reason why you guys don't stock BenQ PJ's? Looking to get myself the 7700 model to prepare myself for HD. On paper it looks a very good PJ.

9. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why is 720p so important anyway? Dvds won't be able to do this until the blue ray/ dvd format war has ended, how long is that likely to take? I don't subscribe to sky and for those people that do, HD is going to cost them another box plus bigger subscription anyway. When I checked out a hd rear projection unit displaying a hd picture it was hardly any clearer than my current pj anyway unless you sat a lot closer to the screen. I watch a 6foot screen 12feet away. I think too much emphasis is placed on hd at the moment and cant really believe that Optoma pulled the H30A for that reason alone.

10. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ttree sound: 2006 will be a big year for HD as Xbox360 will be out and so will the PS3. Also DVD Blue ray and Sky HD will be in full swing and subscription will drop so when you consider you can buy a 720p that will support all this and allow you to play your standard dvds as well what is the point in buying a H30a? It basically means your machine is out of date before you even open the box. The fact that you think HD is not better than a standard dvd means either you are not very observant or the HD source you thought you were watching was not HD. I have viewed 720p HD material on my PC and it was absolutely stunning and that was me watching 720p material on my Optoma which would scale it down as it doen't support 720p but the source was soo good that it still look amazing.

11. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Flyingbig, when you view material on your pc you are usually viewing from a distance of half a metre at most which is not what you normally watch a film at.

When I open a 5 mp image taken by my Sony camera the difference when viewing at 800 by 600 and 1600 by 1200 is barely noticeable at a two to one viewing distance.

My monitor supports a resolution of 2048 by 1536 so where can I obtain the highest definition movie clip to make a direct comparison on my monitor.

12. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, if you look closer i mentioned i viewed HD on my projector so i am viewing from about 3 metres. Just got my hands on Matrix HD, all i can say is WOW! I now feel like i have met Carrie-anne Moss in person :eek:

13. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Flyingbig, I did look closer, you stated that you viewed 720p on your pc in hd, whilst your Optoma? scaled down the 720p source!

If I think there really is the need to upgrade then I will as money/cost is not an issue for me but I do resent being ripped off by sales talk.

14. chestnut

chestnut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is been reported the PS3 wont be released in England until 2007.