1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H30 V H56a

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BHOY, Jul 15, 2004.

1. BHOY

BHOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can I please have some advice, I plan to have an 8ft wide 16:9 screen.

I was all set to order the H30, but I am still concerned about the picture quality on that size of screen with the 800x600 resolution.

Would my image be significantly better if I got the H56A. Would any difference in quality be worth the extra money.

I can get a demo of the H30 but can't get to see the H56A, anyway I doubt I could find anywhere that could demo the image on a 8ft wide screen with a 17 to 20ft throw.

I know that a lot of you would think me crazy to buy a pj blind but I would value your experience with these machines much higher than a demo set up by an expert to try and get you to buy. (I would demo the H30 first anyway)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Bhoy

2. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Bhoy,

I'm having exactly the same dilema... we had a H56 on demo from Admiral (I'll give you John's details if you'd like) on a home demo a few weeks back, and the picture quality was FANTASTIC, but the image was rather smaller than we'd hoped for. The H30 is a short throw projector, and therefore has a larger image, but, as you are, we're not sure about the picture quality from the 800x600 or the lower brightness. John is trying to arrange a demo of the H30 in situ for us so we can check it out at at home, but it's proving rather difficult.

There's a chap on here called Neil who has an AV shop in Cambridge who offered to do a 56/30 comparison in his demo room, but they are too far away from us to get to easily. If you are anywhere near cambridge you could try him. The details are at the end of the hugley massive thread called H30.... brilliant brilliant brilliant....

let me know what you find out!

cheers,

Mat

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would absolutely recommend you get the highest resolution projector you can afford.

I had a budget of £2000 when choosing a new projector and in the end decided that the DLP's that fall into this catagory simply don't have enough pixels to eliminate my desire for resolution and screen door effects. All those priced under £2000 are either 1024x768 or 1024x520 which is too low for me - just consider that you probably use a resolution of 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor so whats 1024x768 going to look like on a 100"!?!

In the end I made a compromise and went for the Sony HS20 which has a resolution of 1388x788. Doing this I sacrificed some contrast but gained big in resolution and brightness.

Some people don't mind 800x600 but I think it looks rougher than a bears arse.

4. BHOY

BHOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys!

I think I'll need to find someone who will offer me a home demo!

The simple fact is I can't afford to make a mistake!

Tonmeistermat i would appreciate Admirals details and i can get in touch with them.
    How come the image was too small, Are you limited with your throw?

Shinobiwan I think you may be right and I should go for the bigger res.

thanks again.

5. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Resolution is very important, but more important is what you are going to be using the PJ for... if all you're doing is watching DVDs and TV, don't forget that they have a resolution of less than 800 lines anyway, so the increased resolution won't improve the picture quality. If you are using computer applications or gaming, resolution will be more important. The issue of screen door etc is less of a problem with these new projectors, particularly the H30 which is apparently very good in that regard. I've had a demo at a shop, and didn't see anything horrid!

I'll pm you with John at Admiral's details, he's been really helpful for me, and once I've demoed the H30 I'll know either way which one I'm going to get from them. the price is very competitive too.

6. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes if you are interested I can arrange a demo day with the H30 and H56A

7. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You should really try to see the H56.
    I would say it is significantly better than the H30 in almost every way.
    Remember that the H30 has disabled some of the pixels to become a 16:9 display so you will actually see 800 X 480 not 800 X 600. The H56 when switched to 16:9 mode will dsplay 1024 X 576. Resolution isn't everything though. (Tha Sanyo PLVZ2 is 128 X 720 and has them both beaten on that score)
    An 8 foot screen is pushing the H30 to it's limit. You will see jaggies and possibly screen door at this size. Th H56 will also give much better blacks and detail in the blacks. Use a film with lots of night shots to make the comparison. (Most projectors look good on bright colourful material)
    The H30 is outstanding at its price but make no mistake, the H56 is in another league.

You should have a look at http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm
    this will allow you to work out throw distances etc.

8. BHOY

BHOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

It looks like the H56A is the pj for me, but I will have to get a home demo first!!
    As I've read repeatedly in this forum "don't buy until you've seen".

Mat thanks very much for the pm, I'll let you know how I get on.

Ntslik Thanks for the offer but I stay in Scotland, I would have taken you up on it if I could.

Warpaint thanks for the link. I now know I need a 20ft throw.

Now all I need Is some kind shop owner to give me a loan of a demo machine for a week.

Thanks again

Bhoy