• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

h264.mkv on a DVD

jomuir

Standard Member
Is it possible to burn a h264.mkv program on to a standard DVD to play on a Blu-ray player?

I mean without reformating it or getting rid of the High Def?

If not what would you do to the file to make it dvd or better quality to play on the Blu-ray?

senu

Distinguished Member
Is it possible to burn a h264.mkv program on to a standard DVD to play on a Blu-ray player?
Most unlikely
If not what would you do to the file to make it dvd or better quality to play on the Blu-ray?

AFAIK, The only way you can play hi def files off a DVD disc as Hi def is to arthor an "AVCHD disc" or use a PS3
What s not as clear is whether or not you can make an AVCHD disc from *.mvk files

Last edited:

ian_m42

Established Member
Search for a program call txMuxer. I use that to convert h264.mkv files to Blu-Ray format files which can then be blown to RW DVD disk and watched.

Can also be copied to SD cards (not tried this) as well.

m99

Standard Member

I mean without reformating it or getting rid of the High Def?

Any Blu-ray player should easily be able to play MPEG4-AVC files, DivX7 also supports H264.MKV-files, hopefully that will speed up better support for more than the oldest DivX-files as it is today.
Until then have a look at MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs - Doom9's Forum for Guides and GUIs.

senu

Distinguished Member
BluRay players do not ordinarily play DVD discs with MPEG4-AVC as data files..unless this is expressly stated

Some of the earlier models did not even play AVCHD discs which are DVD discs specially authored in BD structure
Just as DVD players do not play DVD discs with mpeg2 files

The PS3 does but then it is a media player as well

Last edited:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Any Blu-ray player should easily be able to play MPEG4-AVC files, DivX7 also supports H264.MKV-files, hopefully that will speed up better support for more than the oldest DivX-files as it is today.
Until then have a look at MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs - Doom9's Forum for Guides and GUIs.

What you link to is the same as what TsMuxer does. In fact some of those program uses TsMuxer in the background to create the blu ray structure. The player still needs to have the AVCHD logo somewhere.

MKV files can certainly be made into AVCHD if the video is H264 and the audio is AC3.

ian_m42

Established Member
What you link to is the same as what TsMuxer does. In fact some of those program uses TsMuxer in the background to create the blu ray structure. The player still needs to have the AVCHD logo somewhere.

MKV files can certainly be made into AVCHD if the video is H264 and the audio is AC3.
Correct, I use TsMuxer to create Blu-ray structure (AVCHD ?) from .mkv files (usually 720p) and use Nero to write to DVD+RW disk in UDF2.5 format.

Plays fine on my Panasonic BD50, though rewind sometimes just jumps back to beginning, fast forward and chapter jump is fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom