H264 from PC to AV Amp with 5.1 sound?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by SportiveUK, Mar 14, 2006.

1. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ok, I am really struggling with the best place to post this but I decided this was probably it! I'll try and keep things simple...

All I am trying to determine is whether anyone has encoded H264/AVC MPEG4 video (for example Nero Digital) with 5.1 sound and managed to play this out so that their AV amp picks up and decodes the audio stream as proper 5.1 without downmixing it.

I guess this can either be via a PC/ HTPC or device such as the Kiss DP 600 but if I can't get my amp to playback proper 5.1, my whole plan of creating a video library is not going to work!

So.. there is the challenge, if anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

2. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got here some films in x264 wit DD5.1 and/or DTS5.1. Didn't create them myself but they work on my PC. They all are in Matroska container. Got some files with mp4 extension but can't figure out if they are 5.1 aac or DD. GSpot doesn't show audio info on them. Got a HD film in x264 with three 5.1 soundtracks wich are selectable (2 dd5.1 and 1 DTS). That one is also in a Matroshka container.

So it seems to be possible. Just don't know (yet) how to create the myself.

3. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well with Nero Digital you can create 5.1 AAC which is nice and easy but what I don't know yet (because I can't connect it up) is whether an amp would decode this and treat it as AC-3 5.1 in the same way as the new Aud-X codec works.

http://www.aud-x.com/