H my 2nd hard drive NTFS or FAT 32???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by music, Jan 22, 2008.

1. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Anyone know?

I put it in my (now ) 2nd PC last year and want to move it to my new PC and use it for dedicated video editing. It is a SATA samsung 400GB.

How do I know how it was formatted to see if it is already NTFS? Should I reformat it anyway. I heard NTFS is best for video editing. I don't know why.

2. kaidiez

kaidiez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    go to My Computer --> Right Click the drive --> properties --> Under Type: (I think) it will say NTFS or FAT32.

edit: Also you dont need to reformat it, just convert. theres a syntax but cant remember, i wanna write convert <drive letter>/fs NTFS but that could be wrong! google will help though if no one has replied with it

3. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    To format the second drive right click my computer click on manage a new box should appear up and you should see disk management you can see what type it is FAT32 or NTFS most likely to be NTFS. You might have problem formatting it this method if it has a OS installed on that hard drive.

Format at as NTFS. FAT32 days are dead.

4. Rob12345

Rob12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FAT 32 is very old and is really only used for linux, if you formatted it under windows it will bost likely be NTFS but you can just reformat it to NTFS under right click --> Format, i would recomend NTFS.

5. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Very close! :D

It's:
    convert <drive letter> /fs:NTFS /v

I've added the /v switch so it'd run in verbose mode and tell you more about what's going on.

You may also need to use /x which will dismount the drive first.

Cheers
    Moosh