1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h/k dvd25 vs old sony

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mw3cdj, May 14, 2003.

1. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi all,
    Dont know iff anyone can help. I got a h/k dvd25 las week (on loan from my local dealer ) and after 5 days of playing with different settings on both plasma and dvd i still get a better pic from my old sony dvd725. What i noticed is that the h/k has a lot more screen noise and th p/q is sharper and more defined on my sony .Am i doing something wrong??
    Hitachi pma400e.
    Thanks.

2. sombra

sombra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a different set up than you. I'm playing my HK 25 through my Vitros and all I can say is "WOW". I think it looks great. I came from an HTPC that I thought was the ultimate.. if you can stand watching a movie on a 19" screen. But anyways..I'm very happy with my HK DVD25. I haven't noticed any strange things as far as PQ yet and I have a watched a bunch of DVDs since getting it. I'm connected via RGB scart by the way. How are you connecting to your plasma? I assume you're going component and using good cables.

3. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi sombra,
    I am connecting it up via supra av3 component cable . I take it you are not using the progressive out then ??

4. sombra

sombra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

No the Vitros (Loewe CRT) won't do prog pal through RGB. I'd have to go VGA for that. Regardless, I really like the image it's putting out even in interlaced. It looks great.

What type discs are you using? Unless you patch the HK 25 you can only get Prog out on NTSC. Since it's a loaned unit I don't know if you could risk moding it, if isn't modded already.

Are you connecting directly to the screen? I'm not very familiar with the Hitachis. If you're going through a tuner or other box it may be introducing the garbage.

I use only R2 discs so I can't help much. I've only seen this one play on a Fuji, Panny and Sony plasma at the place I bought it at and it looked great on all of them, but best on the Panny. I don't know, but maybe the noise is coming from somewhere other than the dvd. I say that because mine puts out a cyrstal clear image and I'm picky about what I look at.

Hope this gives you some ideas.