1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H/K 5500 and 5550

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by crobo, Apr 27, 2005.

1. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I am looking for something with high current capacity in case my Denon 3802 is not quite up to particularly demanding speakers (I was thinking of M&Ks in the future). Knowledgeable people have told me that H&K receivers have lots of power where it counts and I was considering an ex-demo 5550. However, I have the chance to buy a second hand 5500 for much less. I know this only does 5.1 but that's all I need; can anyone tell me whether there are other significant differences between the two models? They look pretty similar on the H/K website but it is not that detailed.

I'd be grateful for opinions on the H/K 5500/5550 in general, esp vs the Denon. TBH the Denon has done a great job and sounds very nice indeed with my current Mordaunt Short setup. I just want to have the availability of lots of quality amps without going down the separates route yet.

Any comments appreciated

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No significant differences (other than identified).

Hard to give concise answer to a general query. But I have an AVR5500 as a backbone to my system in the family room. It is a very good AV amp, the power amp section has the ability to drive all but the most difficult speakers, and the pre-amp section is one of the more musical.

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crobo - The only differences is that the 5550 is a 7.1 amp compared to it's older version which is only 5.1 but both are excellent sounding AV amps lots of current to drive almost any load and would definitly be able to handle M&K speakers, if it were my choice i would go for the newer version though.

Cheers
    John

4. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks a lot that feedback; it's encouraging. Recruit, given that I only need 5.1, what makes you prefer the 5550? I should say that I can get the 5500 ex-demo for £399 delivered with a full 2-year warranty. It seems a good deal but I don't want to be stingy if the 5550 offers something better for an extra £200 or so.
    Thanks again

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would only be purely that you have the option for 7.1 if needed but if you're happy with 5.1 then they are pretty much the same amp and very good ones too.

Cheers
    John

6. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks again chaps. I've ordered the 5500 so will see how it works out. The guy in the shop actually had an ex-demo 3802 as well and did not consider the H/K to be so superior in audio, but did think it could drive very demanding speakers more easily. It's good to play with new toys anyway.
    Cheers