• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

H.264 handbrake ripping artifacts. Grey / Gray flashes

balinx

Standard Member
I've been ripping some of my DVD collection to .mp4, using handbrake. I'm using the H.264 encoder, - at anywhere between 1000kps up to 1500kps depending on how 'actiony' I think the movie is. (EG, Apocalypto, 1500, Rear Window, 1000).

I've noticed some of my files have patches of 'grey' through them. Half the screen might lose all colour for a few seconds. (This is using quicktime to play back). If I use VLC to play back, - sometimes it's not grey, - just extremely low resolution washed out nothingness.

My rip of Commando is pretty much unwatchable due to the amount of gray smearing.

So, - does anyone know what might be causing this? Is there something wrong with my encoder settings, - with macs, with handbrake? Or is it possible that I just have crappy scratched DVDs?

Any help and or advice would be much appreciated.

Also, - not sure which sub-forum is the best to be posting this problem too!

Regards,

- Jim Head

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom