1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H.264 boxes

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Howard Pitfield, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    With news that German Sat1 and Pro7 will be using H.264 for start of their FTA HD service from October this year - anyone have any idea which manufacturers besides Pace will have a MPEG4 (and presumably DVB-S2) box out soon? Humax perhaps?

H

2. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Digging around via an Italian newsgroup (!) I found this link to Philips HDTV satellite receiver...

Philips press release

Want one.

H

3. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There has been a lot of criticism of the new SKY STB's looks but damn those are two ugly boxes:)

That aside it can only bode well for the german market to have at least two "official" STB sources for the Premiere product as well as at least one third party product.

5. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A lot of research last night on t'internet and I came up with a supplier in Switzerland who has taken my pre-order for the Philips DSR 9005 expected in October at around Euro 400 (currently £273).

The box is backwards compatible with MPEG2 HDTV but also has DVB-S2 and H.264 (MPEG4) for new HDTV broadcasts and of course SD channels. Has built in IRDETO scrambling but (thank gawd) extra CI slots for other stuff (such as my Penta card). I have a motorized 1m dish - so will be hoping to watch Pro7 HD and Sat1 HD within a few months. If I can wangle a Premiere HD subscription then I'll go for that too (yes I can speak German - and so does me other half).

H :dts: :dd: :beer: