H.264 and Corel Visual Studio X2 rendering problems

pajr777

Standard Member
I have no hair left, not that I had much to start with...

I have a Samsung VP-HMX20C, and have a number of MP4 files captured at 1920 x 1080 50i in H.264 format.

When I play the files in Windows Media Player they look great. The picture is crisp and the pans are very smooth.

I load the files in VS X2, and it reports them as H.264 Main Profile Video, Upper Frame First, 24 bits, 1920 x 1080 16:9, 25.000 frames per second. I assume it knows they are 50fps interlaced and shows this as 25fps?

I put together the video clips and go to share to create the output file.

The output video looks much much worse - blocky, jerky and especially bad on pans - they have lost all smoothness and look terrible.

I have tried both AVCHD and MPEG-2 formats, with data rates up to 60,000 kbps, and no matter what options I try I get the same result. I can't see any other output formats that keep 1920 x 1080 which is my preferred format for streaming over the LAN to my Xbox360.

Is this a limitation of X2, my hardware or is it (hopefully) user error?

I'm running a Dual core 2.8Ghz with 2Gb ram, Vista 32bit SP1.

Many thanks.

senu

Distinguished Member
The only way to know is to try other software ( Nero Vision, Sony Vegas ect)

Another is to try footage from other AVCHD camcorder with X2 to see how it turns out

60,000 kbps is way too high , should you need that much?

pajr777

Standard Member
The only way to know is to try other software ( Nero Vision, Sony Vegas ect)

Another is to try footage from other AVCHD camcorder with X2 to see how it turns out

60,000 kbps is way too high , should you need that much?

Thanks for the tip, I'll d/l the Vegas trail and experiment.

I tried 60k in desparation really, the raw video from the camera comes in about 14k.

I am right in thinking that because the raw files are "Upper Field First" I should keep that setting for the output format?

A n d r e w

I have a Samsung VP-HMX20C, and have a number of MP4 files captured at 1920 x 1080 50i in H.264 format. . . . I load the files in VS X2, and it reports them as H.264 Main Profile Video, Upper Frame First, 24 bits, 1920 x 1080 16:9, 25.000 frames per second. I assume it knows they are 50fps interlaced and shows this as 25fps?
Just a clarification: 50i is 25 frames per second, two fields per frame, interlaced - not 50 frames per second. You should probably keep the field order in the same configuration as whatever is native - though you could try reversing the order to see if it makes any difference or - assuming your final destination is viewing on a computer - render / export your clip as deinterlaced video, in which case there will be no half-frame fields.

pajr777

Standard Member
Just a clarification: 50i is 25 frames per second, two fields per frame, interlaced - not 50 frames per second. You should probably keep the field order in the same configuration as whatever is native - though you could try reversing the order to see if it makes any difference or - assuming your final destination is viewing on a computer - render / export your clip as deinterlaced video, in which case there will be no half-frame fields.

Thanks for that.

I intend for the final destinations to be Xbox 360 -> 1080p projector, and computer via Windows Media Player.

The camera has the option to shoot 50i or 25p, any advice on which would be best?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom