GZ2000 audio output to feed external amplifier

marczed

Standard Member
Hello.
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I can't see it.
I have been using Panasonic plasmas for years and I always connect the phono audio outputs to my stereo system. At first they helpfully provided audio outputs on phono. My current model (TX-50vt) has no phono's but at least it has a scart output that I can intercept. I wanted to upgrade to the latest GZ2000, but it only has digital audio out (either spdif or hdmi arc). Its bad enough I think, that I have to now use an extra decoder just to feed an analogue audio system. However, as I understand it, in order to use the digital audio out, the TV sound is then disabled. For reasons of personal choice, I wish to have the TV sound AND external amplifier sound available simultaneously and I don't take kindly to Panasonic removing that facility - its very important to me. Just to clarify, I don't use the TV sound AND external amplifer at exactly the same time. For ordinary daytime TV viewing, the internal TV speakers will suffice. But when I watch a music video or film in the evening, I require a better sound experience that my external system delivers. When I require to do this, I don't wish to have to enter Menus and sub menus to switch the sound over to an external system. Am I correct in this? I would normally download the user manual to answer my own technical questions - but Panasonic seem to have decided to not offer his either!!!!

marczed

Standard Member
Sorry JayCee, the only manuals available on that link are 'mini' manuals that hardly contain any useful information. Panasonic now direct you to 'e-help' which is only available from the TV itself!!

mikej

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept that manufacturers can't keep including legacy ports (like RCA outputs or scart sockets) year after year. It's not ideal, but it's just the way it is.

I used to connect TVs to my previous hi-fi systems via RCA in the past but ultimately had to upgrade to an HDMI-equipped AV amp, once TVs started to drop their RCA and scart outputs and HDMI started to become the standard for transmitting both audio and video to and from a TV.

I would imagine the only work-around for you with a GZ2000 if you're set on keeping your current hi-fi set-up and don't want to have to dig through the menus each time would be to buy some kind of digital decoder and use your external audio system at all times. From personal experience, you'll soon get used to this - I had a Panasonic plasma for nearly 8 years and never used the internal speakers, because they were obviously very poor by comparison to a good external speaker system.

I would imagine that the majority of users will either stick to the TV's own speakers, or use an external system for sound at all times because switching between the two on a regular basis will be a pain.

If turning on multiple devices is an issue and your external system has a remote control, you could even buy a programmable remote which would turn on both the TV and hi-fi system (etc) with one button press (if you invest in an HDMI-equipped AV amp, the TV will often turn this on for you)

Incidentally - older Panasonic TVs had a 'Viera Link' option, which allowed you to change between the TV's own speakers and home cinema speakers with a dedicated button on the remote. I'm not sure whether the latest 2019 OLEDs still have this facility, but the remotes certainly don't seem to have the Viera Link button any more. The irony is that you'd probably have to invest in an HDMI-equipped AV amp in order to use this facility !

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Sorry JayCee, the only manuals available on that link are 'mini' manuals that hardly contain any useful information. Panasonic now direct you to 'e-help' which is only available from the TV itself!!

I beg to differ.
The e-manual (operating instructions 2.1MB) is available from that link I provided.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
You'll need a 3.5mm jack to RCA/ phono lead so you can connect the display's Headphone out to your amp. To switch it across, from the TV's menus, you'll need to access the sound menu (2 clicks), then navigate to the TV Speaker Setting, and switch it to Headphones. Another 3 clicks or so.

Paul

marczed

Standard Member
You'll need a 3.5mm jack to RCA/ phono lead so you can connect the display's Headphone out to your amp. To switch it across, from the TV's menus, you'll need to access the sound menu (2 clicks), then navigate to the TV Speaker Setting, and switch it to Headphones. Another 3 clicks or so.

Paul
Sorry to be a pain Paul, but that won't work either. The headphone output is AFTER the tv's internal EQ system. Thus, when I have adjusted the equalizer for best sound from the tv's own speakers, it will be very wrong for an external system which has a much broader spectrum.

Nice try though!

Marc

marczed

Standard Member
I beg to differ.
The e-manual (operating instructions 2.1MB) is available from that link I provided.
Apologies JayCee. I have found it now - thanks. I had entered TX55GZ2000B as the model, the complete manuals are under TX55GZ2000E

Marc

JayCee

Distinguished Member
However, it still doesn't contain anything useful and directs me to ehelp!!!

The e-help manual sections are clickable and give you all the info you need.
e.g. from it and contrary to earlier and other Panasonic models the internal speakers are muted when the headphone out is selected.
Look like you're going to have to get that D/A audio convertor and use the optical out if you want to use the speakers and the external audio system as I believe that doesn't mute the speakers.

asdafers

Novice Member
Hi,
I have a similar idea - I was hoping to use the amp 5.1 speakers and top firing speakers of the TV. Based on my trials there's no way to achieve that, is there?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom