1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gyrolock mount fitting help please.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JSW, Jun 12, 2002.

1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Gyrolock mount just arrived :)

Now whats the best way to position this correctly and mount to ceiling?

Any tips please.

Cheers
    Bry

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I used 2x2inch coach bolts into the ceiling joist. Make sure you find the centre point of the joist before drilling.

I drilled a small pilot hole from above to find the edge of the joist then measured (half the width of the joist) to find the centre point.

It holds my Sony VW11 quite securely even though the mount can take 4 bolts.

Hope that helps.

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Thanks but what I also need to know is what is the best way to get the positioning of the mount right, so the projector lens is dead centre of the screen.

Thanks
    Bry

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Oh and btw this mount is not worth £200 !!!

I was at least expecting quality craftmanship but what you get is far from it. Sharp edges crap welds and crap paintjob and imo only worth £25 !

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like someone got a Monday morning model. I love my gyrolock. Only system that allows for flush fitting to the ceiling with great templates for a large range of projectors.

I have opened up the floorboard from above, put in a piece of chipboard fixed to my joists so I can allow for the right distance to the screen without using to much of the zoom.

I have painted the Gyrlock white and it now blands in with out plasterboard ceiling.

By 'drawing' a rectangular box (middle of the screen to the wall, throw distance for the length and voila you know the position), you can get it as close as possible.

My electric 210cm screen is mounted on brackets which allow it to slide, this helped so I could move the screen 0.5cm to the right to get the picture exactly in the middle.

As such my suggestion is to take a closer look on how you mount the screen in order to get the picture in the middle.

Good luck.

Jean-Paul de jong

6. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm happy with my Gyrolock... much better than the really lightweight Sony one which costs even more!

As for positioning, I put up the screen first, found the mid-point and measured the throw distance back and marked the ceiling. I don't think you have to be too scientific about it, I'm only 3-4 mm out.

7. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Thanks guys.