Gyrodec sound problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gazza73, Apr 29, 2007.

1. gazza73

gazza73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    At the moment my system via CD sounds fantastic but the vinyl end sounds a little bass light, lacking definition while the treble has gone beyond detailed and is sounding very bright. I have tweaked the TT's tracking force and VTA etc and feel I've gone as far as I can go. I am not a big believer in cables making massive changes to the sound so I can only think either the cartridge is a little worn or just not the right one for my system.

My system is as follows:

Gyrodec SE
    Tecnoarm
    Ortofon 540 mkII MM cartridge
    HR Power Supply
    Trichord Dino/Dino +
    Exposure 23 pre/28 power
    Linn Karik II
    PMC OB1
    Black Rohidium Symphony interconnects
    QED XT-400 speaker cable

Do you guys have any reccommendations for the above problems.

2. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The TecnoArm tends to have a bright sound as a result of its silver wiring, and the 540 is a bit of a dog-eared thing, so this could well be giving your problem.

Personally I'd change the cartridge for an MC - Don't know how rich you are ;) , but £300 or so on something like an Audio Technica AT-OC9II or Ortofon Rondo Red should help.

3. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Hi,

I have had great results from a Sumiko Blue Point Special - although I do not have the Technoarm for my Gyro SE, and have very different amplification, cabling and speakers to you. I am thinking of upgrading to the Sumiko Blackbird, which is quite a bit more money, but promises an even better soundstage.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers,

Dobly