Gyration MCE Remote & Keyboard! Looking for Opinions

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by JonRushton, Jan 25, 2008.

1. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  2. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone? Someone must have used it! :)

3. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ahh, someone replied!! :) was beginning to think it was a taboo product! :)

Cheers for the feedback, i've pretty much already talked myself into getting one, but you just confirmed my decision!

Let me know how you go on with programming buttons, as it sounds like its something ill want to do also.

Thanks,

Jon

4. heathen666

heathen666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,539
    I used to have a Gyration Ultra Cordless, but it was hopeless, forever needed re-syncing and it ate batteries like no tomorrow. The only good thing about it was the range of the mouse.

I've given up on wireless keyboards and mice, too much like hard work!!

5. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    We have 3 sets of Gyration keybaord/mice at work for use in conference rooms, and they are great. As long as the mice are put back on the charge cradle at the end of the day, no problems. But to be honest, im not going to be using it that extensivly as a mouse, just for navigating media center in the usual way. But i dont want to have a seperate mouse for when i need to make changes outside of mce.

Plus the novelty value :)

Can get a bit of discount at dabs, so ill order them on payday :)

6. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So they are! :) Cheers for that, saved me a few bob.

7. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    I have a feeling Elootos has one of these in his superb home setup.

Check his profile and the last couple of threads he's started about his project-be warned it's awesome and will make you feel inferior in every way!! :devil:

8. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    haha, yeap, already seen his setup! It is very sexy, but i dont envy the effort it must of taken... It took me 20mins get a half inch hole in my brick wall to run a network cable... now i have to drill one big enough for DVI cables, Power cables, and then mounting holes to fit the bolts that hold the Tv..... *cries* :)

9. mingleberry

mingleberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've recently invested in the Gyration remote and have had a very mixed experience:

The Vista Media Center support is splendid and the motion-sensing pointer control is very usable and useful.

HOWEVER, the IR support for other components seems very limited at least in the UK market. None of the pre-set codes for controlling components work with Sky HD, my Panasonic TH42PH10 plasma nor my Yamaha DSP-AX759SE amp. This leaves the remote's "learning mode" as the only option for programming commands. I programmed the Sky commands into it no problem however as soon as I started programming commands for my other components, the remote started flashing its lights reporting any error.

Having contacted Gyration, it turns out the remote's learning memory extends to between 15-20 commands (depending on how a manufacturer codes its remote commandS).

I've found this woefully inadequate as I have to keep my Yamaha amp remote to control the amp and TV.

I've noticed my remote ships with a US user guide which presumably includes codes for US components - does anyone know if there is a UK guide in existence including codes for components in the UK market?

10. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for the info. Im sure the 15-20 command limit will be fine for my needs.

I dont mind 2.1 speakers, and i only have a mediacenter pc and a wii.

So, as long as i can turn my telly on (samsung R88 40") and suspend/resume my pc ill be a happy chappy :)

Will be able to program in a source button too, which is then one up from my current media center remote!

Cheers,
    Jon

11. mingleberry

mingleberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Update: I badgered Gyration UK support for a European guide and much to my delight the Euro version includes codes for Sky and my TV. This means there's ample space to program commands for my amp although for some reason the volume control won't work.
    I'm pretty much a happy customer now!

12. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Is this guide paper or pdf? Any chance you could post the code for a samsung LE40R88BD ? Getting the remote / keyboard at the weekend :clap:

13. mingleberry

mingleberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    JonRushton - Did you get your remote? Which guide did you get? Let me know if you still want the Samsung codes from the Euro guide... I've a PDF version.

14. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was a bit short on cash, so was going to wait until pay day...

Oh well. just ordered it! :thumbsup: Suppose thats what credit cards are for! :rolleyes:

Will let you know what guide i get, should hopefully get it Friday or Monday next week!

Jon

15. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Came next day via royal mail!! No theres a surprise :p

Got the US version, but i just used the auto code search, took bout 5mins, but everything works fine. Well pleased with it!

Feel slightly cheated though, as pictures in the manual show buttons for Pics, Vids, music etc for MCE use, but these are actualy Connect, Setup, DVD and Input on mine! Never mind though. 4.5 / 5 for that :)

Thoroughly (sp) recommnd it to anyone thinking of getting one!

Jon

16. fr4y

fr4y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Likewise, any chance of posting the code for sky HD or a hitachi PD9700?

Thanks in advance!

17. mediapc

mediapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone know if this remote will work on a V+ box????

I desperately need an answer qucikly as i'm going crazy with so many remotes.

thanks

18. mingleberry

mingleberry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

I've attached the Euro version of the Gyration guide in case any of you need it in the future. I've split it into two archives to get round the forum file upload restrictions.

Dom

19. iancalderbank

iancalderbank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    has anyone got volume control of an amp or av recever (arcam in my case) working with this remote? I've tried it on both the aux and cable / sat buttons. I've programmed it using the arcam DVD code (3124) which seems to work more-or-less for my arcam dvd player.

the volume keys appear to always "punch through" to my tv's volume control - which isn't what I want. I've tried a "learn" on the volume keys in aux and cable/sat modes, but it doesn't appear to work (the usual flash sequence doesn't occur, implying maybe it doesn't like to learn on the volume buttons).

if it won't do this its going back to scan - main reason why I bought it!

also - I have a pioneer tv and power on/off doesn't seem to work. it will either turn it on or off but not both. anyone else had that problem?
    Ian

20. Shooty*

Shooty*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big thanks for the euro version. Have now got my LG DVDF player working with this.
    Can't get Amstrad model 80gb Sky+ box to work though with any of the amstrad or Sky or Bskyb codes, nor with "auto learning". Anyone got Sky+ to work?

21. motu50

motu50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    hi guys
    im also looking to get this for the pc media centre use which is about 10/15 meters away from my telly.
    the room is straight with no wall in between just patio glass door ..it would be good to hear it streches this far without inteferece and works fine.:lease:
    This will allow me the use of pc from my couch patato position.:D

thanks in advance for ur replies

regards
    motu50

22. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    I've started looking into one of these but can any existing users of it confirm if the iR database has been updated to support newer hardware. I have:

Sky+ HD
    Onkyo 606
    Panasonic 42PH9

My £20 Philips MCE remote controls all that out of the box, so i'd demand something 5x the price do the same!

Although saying that i'm struggling to find stock anywhere except Amazon, but it's £140!! Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  23. pompom

pompom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I need something that will get me past the annoying "IR hardware missing" stage in Media Center's TV setup. Will the Gyration remote do this?

It might sound like a daft question to ask, but I already have an old RF remote from ATI. Despite the fact that the ATI remote works everywhere else within Windows 7, MCE will only accept IR hardware remotes. Since the Gyration remote is described as an RF/IR remote, I don't want to end up with a pig in a poke.

Can I use the Gyration remote with other AV devices when the computer switched off?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  24. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Gyration remote has a USB dongle, so to the computer its just like a wireless keyboard/mouse... The remote does however have infrared features for controlling other devices. I for example only have TV, Media Center and XBox. but i use the infrared to control my TV, so i can power it on/off and change the input to component for xbox.

The remote comes with loads of codes (which i think someone has attached to this thread) and if your device isnt in the list, there is a trial and error feature that narrows down the frequency of your device. Thats what i used, as at the time i had the US manual. Really simple! Great remote too, im lost when i goto my mates who has just a normal remote!

Hope this helps,

Jon

25. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    OK, took the plunge and not really impressed so far with the inbuilt ir codes.

While it has the code for Sky+ HD, the back button does not work so once in the tv guide, the only way to exit is to power off or find the channel you're currently watching and press OK.

Volume punchthrough is pointless, as it defaults to the TV mode. My screen has no speakers so i'm up the preverbial in this regard! Is there anyway to change what the volume punchthrough controls?

Considering the price of this controller i'm somewhat shocked about the above problems and if they cannot be rectified it has to go back. :thumbsdow

26. JonRushton

JonRushton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can't comment on Sky HD, as i've only ever had Sky SD, and i used to control that via my media center.

As for the volume, it controls the volume for whichever device you have selected. So if you want the volume for the Sat receiver, then you have to be in Sat mode with the button at the top. I only use PC or TV, and the volume buttons work for both.

Unless its different for sat receivers, as i say, i control everything via the computer, and only use the TV functions to power on/off the tv, and change the volume for the xbox (which currently goes via the tv)

27. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    But the instructions say it has a volume punchthrough feature. I want this to control the volume of my receiver no matter what mode I am in, something which my £20 Philips MCE remote does, but for some reason it's controlling the volume on my tv and can't see a way to change it.

28. Gazwud

Gazwud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For the benefit of those who like me probably haven't had their SKY HD CODE query quite answered by this thread, and for the benefit of future desperate 'googlers' who get forwarded to this thread, the SKY HD code after a lot of trial and error faffing about that worked on my 2009 Samsung HD box is '5109', only thing I can see missing is the 'back' button which I'll learn I got a bit of a response for my Harman Surround amp AVR155 on '4082' the four or five functions I need I'll 'learn', my Hitachi LCD TV found ok on search with everything working except PIP button, but once I've sussed out the learning mode I'll programme it in as a learner to the 'DVD' button.

Good remote for my small but perfectly formed A/V setup with GYRO mouse for my home built Media centre which was the killer requirement.

If only I could suss out basic text input from the alphanumeric buttons would be great, and backlit buttons would be nice.

I'm maybe looking at upgrading to the air music version GYR4101US, unfortunately I cannot see a EU version with the 4 colour buttons for SKY but can be worked around for the benefit of LCD music screen and backlit individual buttons it looks like it has.

Nice but simplistic bit of kit that just about slots in with my four components, will have two of these for sale UK and US versions if I upgrade, PM me if of interest or I'll probably just eBay them.

Hope the codes help someone particularly SKY HD.

:smashin: