Gym/Office setup

Lotusj oey

Hi,

I have just had my garage converted into a gym/office and I'm now at the fun stage of deciding on how my setup will look. I am after a bit of advice on what folks think would give the best results.

In either scenario I have around £350-400 to spend. This will be for background music when I'm working and cranked up when I'm in the gym but won't be used for any critical listening.

I gave my dad my MA MR6 a while back which probably would have been ideal but he uses them a lot so I would feel guilty taking them back. He does have a set of Sony 176EB brooklands limited edition floor standers which I could take. I also have a Cambridge audio SX120 spare which I could hook up. I would then spend the full amount of money on an amp. The only downside I can think of in this scenario is floor space being taken up.

The other option would be to buy some active bookshelf speakers (which I know nothing about so could do with some guidance) and hook the sub up to the speakers. The downside with this scenario, as I don't have any experience with active speakers I am unsure if my budget would buy anything decent.

I am happy to look at the used market in either scenario but new would be better. Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
What will you be using as a source, phone, tablet, cd, tuner, streamer etc?

I would go for active monitors, the M-audio BX8 can be had for less than £300 per pair and would probably not need a subwoofee with their 8” drivers.

Or used at £200 (note these are advertised cheaper on Facebookmarketplace)

This would leave a little for a volume control like the Little Bear passive preamp. Or better a Mackie big knob (several on FBMarketplace) or SMprob M-Patch for around £50 second hand. Just plug in a source and off you go.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
As Ugg suggests above. You won’t get better, or bigger, sound for your cash.

I’d add these to the list of actives.

(Priced as a single speaker)

Lotusj oey

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping you might give me some options like these which I never would have found on my own.

Source will either be my phone via BT/Aux or an Alexa via auxiliary. I might add a streamer at a later date but tbh I just want it to be hassle free so I can come in press play and away I go.

This is probably going to be a stupid question but what benefit does the mackie big knob bring to the table over just using the built in volume knob or controlling it from my phone?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The volume on your phone/Alexa can have an effect on the music quality depending on the way it is implemented. Keeping the app and phone/Alexa volume at max and using the big knob will get the best quality possible. However, you could try the second hand M-Audio BX8 plus the Elexa using a 3.5mm steero to 1/4” TRS mono pair cables, setting the volume of the phone/Alexa to say 75% and then balancing to a listenable volume on the controls on the speakers, this would ensure as good a music quality as you can.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom