• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

GX120 DVD+ Disc Speed Matter?

zpos

Just bought the Sony GX120 from John Lewis as part of a Sony bundle. Unfortunately I don't have any DVD+R/DVD+RW discs so I need to get some asap.

Is the write speed of the discs important and will it make a difference if I buy 16x rather than 8x? Can't find any info about the write speed of the GX120.

Thanks,

z

lurcher

Not familiar with the model but the write speed is only really relevant if you are high speed dubbing from a Hard drive to the disc so if no hard drive any speed rated disc is fine.

Gavtech

Administrator
I am afraid it DOES have relevance. The disk speeds must be supported by the burner or they will not work.

Surely it will be in the specification in the manual? I have just tried to downlaod it from the Sony site... but it is not yet available.

zpos

Gavtech said:
I am afraid it DOES have relevance. The disk speeds must be supported by the burner or they will not work.

Surely it will be in the specification in the manual? I have just tried to downlaod it from the Sony site... but it is not yet available.

I don't actually have the dvd recorder yet (will arrive on Friday). Like I said, I couldn't find any info on it about write speed. Perhaps someone who has this particular model could shed some light for me?

I'd hate to have the recorder and no discs! Real shame it doesnt do -R's as I've got some of those.

z

lurcher

Gavtech said:

Yes Gavtech is right didn"t read the question fully and assumed incorrectly that the Machine would happily burn at those speeds, sorry.

Sony media is usually rated at 1-8 or 1-16 etc so in theory it should work at any speed. You may get trouble though and maybe best to stick to slower media. Philips 4x DVD+R is good media (better than the faster stuff) and cheap now if you can find it.

zpos

For completeness, I've just downloaded the manual and this is what it says:

Usable disc versions (as of March 2006)
* 8x - speed or slower DVD+RWs
* 16x - speed or slower DVD+Rs
* 8x - speed or slower DVD+R DL (double layer) discs

z

I would go for +R media myself. Sony do 16x media now which is really good. SVP don't seem to do Sony media any more unless they are out of stock. Topdiscs have some though and I think APR do them as well but their site seems to be down at the mo.

http://www.topdiscs.co.uk/acatalog/DVD-R__Prin.html#aDVP_2d232

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom