GX/G1 & Bias Lighting

aliman5000

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening All,

I will be moving into a new house this year and it comes with an ’HDMI plate’ on the wall where the TV will go in the living room. In short this means I can put all AV equipment away in the corner of the room rather than underneath the TV - meaning I can have literally just the TV on the wall, no wires etc.

For this reason I am considering a 77” G1, I‘m not looking at the C1 because the evo screen is what interests me. However...I love the current Hue strips behind my current TV, but with the G series apparently designed to be flush with the wall (rather than a couple of inches off the wall) I was wondering if anyone with a G series uses bias lighting at all? And if so how you make it work?

My other option is a Philips because of the ambiilght obviously, however I would be looking at this years flagship because of the addition of HDMI 2.1, and of course I have no idea how it will measure up performance wise against the LG or even how Philips stacks up now in comparison??

Ultimately I want to keep my bias lighting but just don’t know if this is practical with the LG G series, hence the mention of GX in the thread title because I think the same point applies across the board.

Any real world advice is much appreciated!

Last edited:
yes the G series sits completely flush against the wall with no gaps, so you wouldn't be able to install lighting behind it.

also, you might want to check the HDMI plate (i assume you mean socket), as it might not support HDMI 2.1 depending on the cabling that has been used. it's also generally advisable not to use such socket, a "straight thru" cable is always preferrable especially when it comes to 4K@120Hz.

i would be picking the best TV for the money and not be basing it on what one helps with bias lighting.

yes the G series sits completely flush against the wall with no gaps, so you wouldn't be able to install lighting behind it.

also, you might want to check the HDMI plate (i assume you mean socket), as it might not support HDMI 2.1 depending on the cabling that has been used. it's also generally advisable not to use such socket, a "straight thru" cable is always preferrable especially when it comes to 4K@120Hz.

i would be picking the best TV for the money and not be basing it on what one helps with bias lighting.

Thanks for the feedback, that certainly answers the question with regards to the G series and bias lighting. To be honest I first added bias lighting to my current set (Panasonic DX902) as it was a popular addition amongst owners to counter any elevated blacks when viewing widescreen content. And I realise that these won't be 'needed' with an OLED, but since having bias lights I just really like them now for the illumination around the set, hence me being keen to keep it.

The HDMI plate is a plate and not a socket. It's a wall plate with a plug socket and then a recess for an HDMI cable that runs via trunking behind the wall and to the corner of the room. So not only will I be able to choose the cable that is used, it will absolutely be a straight through connection.

I am absolutely looking for the best TV, image quality being most important to me. But I am just very keen to retain the bias lighting for the above reasons. Would love to stick with Panny but want to go 77" so I guess it is a C series, Philips or Sony. I would be interested to see if the new Philips flagship uses a brighter panel this year, if so it might be the deciding factor.

Thank you again for your input, I was always under the impression the G series mount had the ability to go flush, but didn't 'have' to sit flush.

you could go with the CX as opposed to the GX as it's identical apart from being flush to the wall.
there is a difference between the C1 and G1 though, with the G1 having the new panels whereas the C1 has the same panel as the CX/GX.

the GX/G1 wall mount it designed to sit flush, and there is a physical click when it is sitting in the correct position. to create a gap for lighting you would need add a spacer so the wall mount sat out from the wall.

you could go with the CX as opposed to the GX as it's identical apart from being flush to the wall.
there is a difference between the C1 and G1 though, with the G1 having the new panels whereas the C1 has the same panel as the CX/GX.

the GX/G1 wall mount it designed to sit flush, and there is a physical click when it is sitting in the correct position. to create a gap for lighting you would need add a spacer so the wall mount sat out from the wall.

Yes indeed, I am just very interested in the new evo panel on the G1. Moving from a FALD set to OLED I'm looking for the closest nits performance for HDR.

Currys actually had a ridiculous offer over the weekend (time limited) where I could have had a 77" GX delivered for less than £3,500 - the evo screen was just about the only thing that stopped me!

I believe Philips don't release their flagship OLEDS until Q3 so may just be a case of waiting.

also remember that every OLED TV has an LG panel in it.
personally i wouldn't be considering a Philips TV, they are not in the same class.

also remember that every OLED TV has an LG panel in it.
personally i wouldn't be considering a Philips TV, they are not in the same class.

This is where I am struggling, having been a Panny owner for a long time moving to a new brand is an absolute minefield for me. And all I have to go on are reviews of the Philips here and elsewhere - but they don't really do in depth comparisons with the rest of the field.

I realise the only way I am going to get bias lighting with the least faff is via Philips...but if the TV quality doesn't stack up then it isn't worth it just for the lights.

I've always read very good reviews for LG OLEDs but I also note the theme of them not being able to hit the nit heights of others - and the CX/GX series actually reduced brightness over the previous models.

What is it about the bias lighting that you like? If you like the effect of the colours matching the TV’s content, then as you said Philips is really the easiest way. I will admit it does look pretty cool but I’ve never found a flexible enough method for me.

If you mostly like it for the reduced eye strain, then have you considered using some other lighting in the area? We have 2 spot lights in the ceiling very close to the wall that the TV is on shining towards the wall. They’re close enough that you can never see them in the TV’s reflection. We usually have them on a dim, warm setting, and it really makes the viewing a lot more comfortable on the eyes.

The G1 does look very nice, and it’s priced cheaper than the GX from the outset. I actually found this thread whilst Googling to see if the G1 uses the exact same bracket as the GX - unfortunately our GX has developed a fault after a few weeks, but I’m thinking of replacing it with the G1.

What is it about the bias lighting that you like? If you like the effect of the colours matching the TV’s content, then as you said Philips is really the easiest way. I will admit it does look pretty cool but I’ve never found a flexible enough method for me.

If you mostly like it for the reduced eye strain, then have you considered using some other lighting in the area? We have 2 spot lights in the ceiling very close to the wall that the TV is on shining towards the wall. They’re close enough that you can never see them in the TV’s reflection. We usually have them on a dim, warm setting, and it really makes the viewing a lot more comfortable on the eyes.

The G1 does look very nice, and it’s priced cheaper than the GX from the outset. I actually found this thread whilst Googling to see if the G1 uses the exact same bracket as the GX - unfortunately our GX has developed a fault after a few weeks, but I’m thinking of replacing it with the G1.

Thank you for your helpful reply, I’ve never had the ‘Philips effect’ but simply think it looks really nice, and an extension of my current static lights.

I certainly hadn’t considered the setup you describe, definitely food for thought!

After further online research and a lot of YouTube videos I am leaning towards the G1 and using a VESA scissor bracket so I can bring it slightly forward from the wall to accommodate some bias lighting, or even the Ambilight Play setup that I hadn’t seen before.

I realise it won’t be flush to the wall and therefore I could go the C1 route. But as described I really want the evo panel for the brightness boost coming from the DX902.

Thank you for your helpful reply, I’ve never had the ‘Philips effect’ but simply think it looks really nice, and an extension of my current static lights.

I certainly hadn’t considered the setup you describe, definitely food for thought!

After further online research and a lot of YouTube videos I am leaning towards the G1 and using a VESA scissor bracket so I can bring it slightly forward from the wall to accommodate some bias lighting, or even the Ambilight Play setup that I hadn’t seen before.

I realise it won’t be flush to the wall and therefore I could go the C1 route. But as described I really want the evo panel for the brightness boost coming from the DX902.
Yes just use any standard vesa wall mount with the gx or G1, then there will be enough room for your led strip.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom