Guys need help and advise please reguarding confusing HD questions.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tonyturbo1978, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Tonyturbo1978

Tonyturbo1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

As you can see from my comparitively low post count im fairly new here. Came on here about 4 months ago to ask your guys thoughts on buying a HDTV. Was advised to buy a Sony 32" Bravia ( think it is a KDLV2000 or similiar) and been very very impressed with it.

Now you will have to excuse me if this is in the wrong forum, if it is could a mod move it to the right place if thats possible.

Now basically what i`ve got is an XBOX 360 running to the TV via the component cables. When gaming the picture is superb and im blown away by it but now i would like to move on and buy something that displays HD video. When i play normal DVD`s through my 360 it seems to play them at 576p and the tv isnt upscaling to 720 like i have read here many times. So basically i'm looking for a Setup which is going to give me cracking 720p visuals and im looking for your sound advice please. Basically i know about the 2 formats on the horizon, Blue Ray and HD DVD. With prices so damn high on these players, i guess for the time being i should just get a really good DVD player that can upscale all my old DVD`s and maybe the 360 HD Drive. So basically what path do i go now??? I`m looking at my TV only being able to support 720p and not 1080p and also seeing the PS3 coming soon with Blue Ray built in, HDMI sockets and ability to display 1080p im getting a little annoyed with myself that i just didnt buy a bigger Tv and wait for the PS3 instead of getting the 360.

Whats my options from here guys, im fed up trying to figure out what to do. I have no HD visuals running through my TV yet as i havnt even got SKY HD.

Sorry for the noob post but im really struggling to figure this out myself.

2. cutmymilk

cutmymilk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Why not save a load of cash and get an Xbox 360 HD DVD drive?

3. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Sorry, but reading between the lines am I correct in thinking that you are not happy with the DVD performance? I have no experience with the 360, but I doubt it makes a very good DVD player, anyone more experience with this?

The TV you have has a 1366 * 768 pixel panel, as it is getting on a bit new scalers in modern DVD players are likely to be better than the one in the TV or 360. If you can I would upgrade to a 720p output DVD player, this means the TV only has to sort out a small amount of rescaling.

I am a little confused about the statement about the TV not up scaling to 720, if this was the case you would have a picture which would have black bars round it, or something like that.

Hope the above helps, please feel free to post again with more info.

Dupe…

4. Tonyturbo1978

Tonyturbo1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i was thinking this but i wasnt sure it will upscale my old dvd`s . basically im even confusing myself which is why im in total need of help. I realise reading back my post im even babling on cause i have no idea what path to take from here lol.

sorry.

5. Tonyturbo1978

Tonyturbo1978
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV getting on a bit, i only bought it around August :-(

im not suprised you are confused bud, so am i lol. Basically i have my HD TV and 360. Just want to get some advice on what direction to go in based on my current setup. Do i get a 360 add on HD DVD drive, do i get a upscaling DVD Drive or do i splash out a sh*t load of money and by a stand alone HD DVD player/ Blue Ray player. I`m just fed up i bought this TV and so far i havnt a top quality HD picture apart from gaming which is sweet i must add

thanks guys, sorry for being such a damn noob.

6. aniki

aniki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi,
    Dont worry, your TV is just fine. I dont believe you would able to detect any difference between 720p & 1080p on a tv of that size, or for that matter even on a 42" screen. Additionally pixel count does not equate specifically to picture quality anyway, there are many other factors involved.
    I think far too much fuss is made about this when in the real world it really isnt such an issue.
    -
    In my experience, an LCD will benefit from a modern dvd player. I believe the benefit of a HDMI connection is significant if you are used to an older player with a scart or s-video connection.
    Also I found upscaling worthwhile on LCD but not so much on plasma, but this ultimately depends on the quality of scalers used in each device.
    -
    The xbox360 outputs games in 720p via component but does not upscale dvd's.
    If you want improvement in quality from SD dvd's I dont think you could go wrong with a cheap upscaling player. Or if you want to take the plunge go for a standalone HD player that upscales also.
    -
    If I were in your position I would go for a sub £100 upscaling player for regular dvd's and then the xbox add on for HD discs at a later date.
    HTH

7. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I'm in agreement with aniki, now your dilemma is a bit clearer. Go for a new upscaling DVD player in the short term, see if you happy then. It should make things better...

Dupe...

8. Andy ARB

Andy ARB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try the XBOX 360 connected to your screen using a VGA cable as then the XBOX will upscale your dvds.

I use mine that way, and whilst I'm no expert, I think it does a good job on my 42 inch plasma.