1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

guys i have made a mistake whilst building my HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cowtipper, Jul 13, 2004.

1. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a pratt is all i can say i bought a pc from ebay cheap but and i did not realise until it arrived it has only got 2 pci and an AGP slot as it is a micro atx which is good as the foot print attracted me to the pc in the 1st place (WAF kicked in on that decision) :)

so here comes the problem
    I have a 256mb 9600 vga agp card
    a sweetspot pci card
    a realmagic pci xcard
    a i was going to add a M-audio pci card but i have run out of slots and the MOBO does nto havea n spdiff out

so the dilemma is do i scrap the xcard in favour of a pci M-audio card or do i buy an extigy USB sound card or do i just sell the pc and get another box with 3 pci slots which will have a bigger footprint (taking into account the WAF please)

again what a prat how could i of over looked such a simple thing :oops:

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    remember that your xcard has digital audio output on it, so do you really need an additional sound card?

3. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did notice that but thought it would only be for the dvd itself not the whole system

i am obviously new to this HTPC world and i am still feeling my feet
    so will it service the whole of the pc for audio and if so what is the sound quality like

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will just allow SPDIF for DVDs AFAIK, not general Windows sound - WMP etc.

:smoke:

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You could drop the Xcard and buy a software DVD player to make room for the PCI sound card?

6. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i didi thik of that but i really wanted to pipe the DVD through the xcard then the sweetspot card so i could use descaler

david pluggedin any comments about the Spdif

7. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if your mobo has an internal SPDIF (maybe not if it doesn't have external) then you can loop it back into Xcard and only have one output for everything.

Another option would be to try Joveplayer this *might* send other media through xcard's SPDIF. Of course this would only work when used as a media-player - games, office apps, etc probably wouldn't output this way.

Other than that, something will have to give.
    A software DVD player is one way to go.
    Or, if you are intent on using DScaler, you could use an external DVD player connected via component.
    Penultimate option is to replace both Xcard and SweetSpot with an external SDI dvd player and SweetSpot SDI capture card.
    Last option is to replace your mobo for a similar one with SPDIF out - probably the cheapest option.

8. csayers

csayers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damn so we have now established that xcard spdif on the xcard only outputs from the dvd player

the reason for the xcard was so i could scrap my standalone sony 735 dvd player and just use the pc as everyone i have spoken to said that a pc based dvd solution will blow the socks of any standalone dvd

so my next quesiton then has anyone tryed to use the creative audigy NX usb they are only £80 and i have read a few reviews and they look good

or does anyone have a any other ideas ?

10. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    What kind of display are you planning on using?

Assuming it's a radeon graphics card, you may be able to connect the display directly to the vga output on the card, and then there is no real need for the xcard at all (you can just play DVD's directly via a software player, and the results will be comparable to the XCard/DScaler approach). But it depends on the display type - PAL/NTSC/HDTV/VGA?

(and then use the spare slot for an m-audio card)

11. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so iam losing my sense a bit now i was told that an xcard will give far greater PQ then a software based solution as i can run it through descaler and output a progrressive signal which a software player would not give me

I am using a ati radeon card with an YUV dongle to a plasma and i cant use VGA as its a viera and the VGA port is on the front i have thought about modifying a vga cable to get a vga feed to the rear of the screen so you cant see the cable and cut out the onboard scaler hmm may have a think about that more today see what i can knock up

12. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would have thought a Radeon supplying 1:1 pixel mapped VGA to your plasma will 'blow the socks off' any other approach. The only reason I moved to a PC was get get 1:1 mapping on my projector. A good software DVD player will provide you with an excellent picture if you take this approach.

Cheers

Simon

13. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With film-based material, Xcard and the best software players (TheaterTek for example) will be broadly similar in quality.
    However, with video content (tv series, some manga, dvd extras, etc) Xcard/DScaler can offer a much more consistent picture.
    Either way, you are still scaling using the Radeon. It's the deinterlacing that's done differently.
    Xcard could also drive another discplay using it's other analogue outputs.

Hope that helps
    Alex

14. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys i do really appreciate all the help
    i have decided the xcard stays for now i have got a small cheapo usb to optical converter i am going to use for audio for now then i will compare software dased dvd playback compared to the xcard and see which gives the best PQ and if the xcard wins then i am going to purchase either audigy 2 nx or the m audio usb soundcard odviously if the software based version wins then there will be an xcard going cheap

15. denniswaugh

denniswaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  16. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tnx for that i could not see what format the board is as i need a micro atx
    and i have the AMD barton care 3000xp
    I am still kicking myself for this one i am officially a pratt

17. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so my head is spinning once again i have found another post that reccomends a software based dvd solution over the xcard damn HCPC i wish i had never found www.avforums.com it costs me too much money and too much stress

18. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys sorted it out the pc is going back i am not happy doing it half hearted so i am goign to purchase a system with at least 3 pci slots

and purchase the m audio audiphile

then i will run optical to my amp for mp3 and use the xcards coax to my amp for dvds that way when i hit the dvd button on the remote it will have it own audio line in