Guys have i spent my money well? NOOB!!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by lerkio123, Jul 13, 2015.

1. lerkio123

lerkio123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Guys and girls im new to PC gaming and even newer to this forum!. My name is paul and i have just bought a secondhand gaming laptop which i hope is going to fit my needs. I have also been abit of a gamer but on the consoles. Anyway i need a new laptop for general stuff familly pic etc.. but i also want to play elder scrolls online as i have been a fan of elder scrolls for ages and i didnt want to get in to subscriptions with sony or xbox live so i have bought a laptop sumwhat blind and im hoping iv have bought well.. i suppose what i want to know is if i have had a good deal and will it run elder scrolls online as well as maybe far cry etc.

Anyway the spec is as follows:

Cleveo P170em vortex 3 i believe.. 17.3"
    i7-3610qm
    gtx680m
    8GB ram
    250gb SSD
    700GB HDD

I gave £550 for this machine and i believe it to be 2 years old ish?
    Am i going to find that i will only get 12 months gaming with this before the graphics card is obsolete?

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M.72679.0.html

It will run most games well at 1366x768, for 1080P gaming it is a little underpowered, unless you are happy with 30FPS.

For the money, it is a decent machine. At lower settings you will get a good couple of years out of it, even more for less demanding indie games and the like.

Normally though it is better to ask for advice before buying something :p

3. lerkio123

lerkio123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was a bit of an impulse buy a friend of mine was in need of cash quick and i had been watching ebay for a few weeks and it was better than anything else i had seen within my £500 budget. I left skyrim and elder scrolls online downloading this morning so we shall soon see if its up to the job.. tbf that really all i will play maybe a little call of duty here and there.. Thank you tho for the input.

Does anybody know if this model is SLI compatible? i cant seem to find any mention of this particular machine on the net.. i think cause if your google search has gtx680m sli in it you just get masses of hits for other machines that will sli this card

4. andiuk007

andiuk007
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,868
    It's only a 2 minute job to take the GPU cover off to see if it has a pci-e slot next to the installed 680m.

5. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I cannot remember. Where am I? This kebab is cold.
    Ratings:
    +846
    You should also check how much power your PSU is giving you and see if it already has the power connectors for an additional GPU before going down the SLI road.

Although you may be ok, I don't think the 680 is a power hungry card.