1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gutted

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dapex, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all, I am just starting to read about home cinema PC's and I am really thinking about trying to build one. I have sky+ which I would keep but my standalone dvd recorder is bit pants.

MY HCPC would be aimed at being a top quality dvd player (to feed my TV, projectopr and my future plasma at the best possible res) , mp3 jukebox, and then some sort of dvd recorder.

I saw the MYHCPC and Girder software mentioned and as they were free i though coool i'll have a look...... Only to find that the money grabbing gits now want me to buy it.....

So my questions are as follows

1. are they worth buying or is there better free stuff about
    2. Are there any free EPG's thast work in the UK??? ( i know it wont replace my sky+ but if its an option then I will look on it as a second PVR)

Any other tips for a newbie would be great.

Cheers
    Dave

2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Are you talking about myHTPC which is now Medio ?? If so, you can still download the old free myHTPC (the link is in the forum somewhere).

As reagards Meedio, there is currently little point in getting it if you want TV. It is still in testing and basic things like S-Video input don't work and I presume this was how you are connecting sky box to PC ??

There is plenty of other software out there (a lot free) but it really depends on what you want. Some are better at TV whilst others are better for pictures and music.

Check out some of these most have a free trial type thing if they do cost but try them and see what fits

3. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Media Portal is a good free alternative to Meedio

You won't find anything better than Girder for handling remote control signals though.

DScaler5 is a good free MPEG2 codec.

ZoomPlayer is a good media player but you need to buy the shareware pro version for DVD playback.

XMLTV can download TV listings from the Radio Times site and is free ( but it doesn't do radio listings from Radio Times site )