Gutted, lightning just took out my Panny 55ST50

Rednose01

Standard Member
As title,
Was watching the ST50 tonight, heard the thunder then a flash of lightning made the TV flash for a split second.
It then tried to reboot itself, showed the logo but then went off.
Now when I try to switch on, I get 3 quickly blinking red lights, that just repeat.

No other electronics were affected, so it might be a coincidence with thunderstorm.

Had the TV about a year and a half.
Always been really carefull with it, I turn down all the settings when I go to work in case the Mrs watches any thing with static logos, and I've yet to play any games on it,as I'm paranoid about image retention.

I will try and get it fixed through warranty, but am gutted as the picture from it is just sublime

Any one have experience of such things?

Carl..

jonsmith

Standard Member
Check your household contents insurance. I had an Arcam CD player taken out during a thunderstorm a number of years ago and was able to replace with a (then) current model through insurance.

Rednose01

Standard Member
Cheers Jon,
Anway heres an update,
So went out and bought a 32 inch Samsung to tide me over until the Panny gets fixed, it only turns out that the HDMI on my Virgin TiVo has been knocked out also. I managed to fish out an old scart lead, so I could at least watch something.
I'm guessing it was this that blew the Panny.

Would Virgin take any liability for this? Not sure what to do next.

Carl..

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
Cheers Jon,
Anway heres an update,
So went out and bought a 32 inch Samsung to tide me over until the Panny gets fixed, it only turns out that the HDMI on my Virgin TiVo has been knocked out also. I managed to fish out an old scart lead, so I could at least watch something.
I'm guessing it was this that blew the Panny.

Would Virgin take any liability for this? Not sure what to do next.

Carl..

I've lost three TVs to electrical spikes from storms. First time it happened we just got a new TV. But the second time it happened it took two TVs with it so that's when we took out the home insurance on it (the excess is still a pain to pay but it was cheaper than replacing the displays) and managed to get them replaced. Now every electrical item in the house has a surge protector. You can always get in touch with a TV repair shop to see what the fault is, could just be a blown fuse inside the set. But in these situations its always a nice excuse to upgrade personally ;)

Rednose01

Standard Member
You must get some pretty serious storms down your way!, this one the other night was the worst I've seen.
Just had the Cable guy arround he told me it took out a telegraph pole round the corner so all the wires were in peoples gardens, he did 2 boxes yesterday because of the storm.
Just need to sort the TV out now, hoping it's a simple fix as the picture it shows is just incredible.

Carl..

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom