• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Gutted I did not wait for new Imac launch?

Sab

I have bought a new Imac 27 inch 5K a few days ago but did not realise that a new replacement Imac would be announced on Monday 5th June. I like my new Imac a lot and this is my first Mac. However, at the back of my mind I think I should have waited for the announcement from Apple and bought the new Imac replacement.

I have already opened my Imac and so cannot be returned to the shop. If I sell it I will lose money. However, an Apple sales guy said for my usage I will not see a difference if I went for the new Imac. I use it mainly for videos, photos, browsing, Microsoft Office and some other software that is not demanding. No photo or video editing.

I keep on thinking that the new Imac model would be amazing compared to the previous model. Do you think this is true?

Any suggestions or advice?

MacrosTheBlack

Keep an eye on upcoming Apple events before buying stuff a few days before. Not like it wasn't well publised and predictions suggested iMac and MacBook upgrades. Helps avoid disappointment.

But hey, I'm sure you'll still love your new iMac as is.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I keep on thinking that the new Imac model would be amazing compared to the previous model. Do you think this is true?

I haven't looked into it in any detail but the news I caught suggested it was mostly a specs updates rather than anything significant. The biggest change seem to be that they'd finally scrapped the HDD-only option so assuming you opted for an SSD or Fusion drive it's unlikely to have made a noticable difference.

Last edited:

P Adams

Don't worry Sab

You'll love your new 5k iMac. I'm a graphic designer of 30 years and have pretty much had every mac that's been released. I've got a maxed out one at work and a 27 inch 5k at home as well. With the work and apps you'll be using the 'old' one will be more than enough for your enjoyment.

I use my home one for video and Photoshop editing and large image/magazine work and it's more than capable. There will always be some update around the corner so just enjoy it!

PA

Sab

I haven't looked into it in any detail but the news I caught suggested it was mostly a specs updates rather than anything significant. The biggest chance seem to be that they'd finally scrapped the HDD-only option so assuming you opted for an SSD or Fusion drive it's unlikely to have made a noticable difference.

Yes I have chosen 1TB Fusion Drive.

MacrosTheBlack

Plus you've now got till the end of the year to save the £20k you'll need to secure the real upgrade you should consider...... The new iMac Pro maxed out with an 18 core (36 thread) Xeon processor, 128GB ram and a 4TB SSD!!! :D

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
It depends on what your using the iMac for. If it's "just a computer" then you'll be fine until the next upgrade.

I have the late 2013 27" version with SSD. It's still absolutely fine. For day to dat messing around, it's the SSD that'll keep this thing going. I see no reason to change mine.

The Fusion drive isn't for me IMO, however the brand new version's SSD part could well be quicker than my pure SSD drive The only thing that's "slow" on mine is the disc drive storage attached to it.

Your not missing out too much, unless you had the money for a iMac Pro and that aint out till December anyway.

Last edited:

Sab

I do love my 27 inch 5k IMac, who wouldn't? It is getting a lot of attention from me now. I want to eventually upgrade the RAM to 32GB.

MacrosTheBlack

I do love my 27 inch 5k IMac, who wouldn't? It is getting a lot of attention from me now. I want to eventually upgrade the RAM to 32GB.
Well you probably know... but just in case make sure you buy the Kingston or Crucisl memory upgrade kits. Save a fortune over Apples own memory.

MJC UK

I'm surprised Apple didn't say you could return, even if it's been opened. They're usually very good about this sort of thing.

Perhaps try going on chat or ringing them up, try a different store.

If you do have to keep it, for what you've said you'll use it for, I really wouldn't worry about missing out on the spec bump. It will still be going strong in five years - my basic 2013 MacBook Air is

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Did you buy from an Apple Store? If so you have a 14 day return window.

I'm surprised Apple didn't say you could return, even if it's been opened. They're usually very good about this sort of thing.

Perhaps try going on chat or ringing them up, try a different store.

If you do have to keep it, for what you've said you'll use it for, I really wouldn't worry about missing out on the spec bump. It will still be going strong in five years - my basic 2013 MacBook Air is

I thought this too. But the op said the Apple guy said he would notice a huge difference to the new iMacs. Assumed by that the Apple guy would not take the old iMac back.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I thought this too. But the op said the Apple guy said he would notice a huge difference to the new iMacs. Assumed by that the Apple guy would not take the old iMac back.
A salesperson's job is to up-sell. Last year's model is more than fine for the OP's usage and if anything is overpowered

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
A salesperson's job is to up-sell. Last year's model is more than fine for the OP's usage and if anything is overpowered

Typo, forgot to type NOT much difference. Even the sales guy said he would be ok with the model he got.

But the point was Apple offer a 14 day return when a new model comes out and someone has bought the old one. Don't know if this covers it being opened though. If it doesn't then why bother offering it. Who buys an expensive computer and not open it for 14 days, even to check its working and not damaged.

PeterH988

Typo, forgot to type NOT much difference. Even the sales guy said he would be ok with the model he got.

But the point was Apple offer a 14 day return when a new model comes out and someone has bought the old one. Don't know if this covers it being opened though. If it doesn't then why bother offering it. Who buys an expensive computer and not open it for 14 days, even to check its working and not damaged.

It's supposed to be a 14 day no quibble return policy. If you don't like it, take it back within the period and get a refund. It's where many of the refurb units come from.

Sab

Did you buy from an Apple Store? If so you have a 14 day return window.

Unfortunately, I bought it from Stormfront who are an authorised reseller. They will not take it back as the box has been opened. My mistake for buying from there and not Apple. I did not research properly. Apple next time for sure for expensive purchases.

Mr X

Distinguished Member
That's a shame. Apple are great at no quibble exchange or refund even when a new product is launched or supersedes previous model. At least you know for future and enjoy your machine.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately, I bought it from Stormfront who are an authorised reseller. They will not take it back as the box has been opened. My mistake for buying from there and not Apple. I did not research properly. Apple next time for sure for expensive purchases.
Yeah, I assume their reseller has the same prices? I'd choose and Apple Store any day. They might be rammed with keyboard bashers and the clueless, but it's usually the best bet when issues arise

Sab

This is my first Mac and I am enjoying it. Even though I could have got a better spec one. I have upgraded to 32GB RAM using Crucial Memory. Just waiting for my order from Amazon for the Pioneer USB Bluray writer. You live and learn...

MJC UK

This is my first Mac and I am enjoying it. Even though I could have got a better spec one. I have upgraded to 32GB RAM using Crucial Memory. Just waiting for my order from Amazon for the Pioneer USB Bluray writer. You live and learn...

Try not to feel to despondent, as I said earlier, it's still a great product that will now only last you nine years, instead of ten ;)

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Try not to feel to despondent, as I said earlier, it's still a great product that will now only last you nine years, instead of ten ;)

Oh god yeah don't feel disappointed! It's not like you missed out on a whole new design. That's when you could be a whole lot of gutted

It's only speed bump and I'd guess less power consumption.

Like I said earlier, mines a 2013 model without the 5k screen, but I still don't feel like I'm missing out on anything major. So yours is perfectly fine and will be fine with High Sierra MacOS. Just enjoy.

ascender

I really wouldn't worry about it. The new iMacs have slightly better screens (although if you read first impressions, the jury is definitely out as to how much better they are). They've added some thunderbolt 3 ports and they're faster, but your machine will last for years and is very fast with a stunning screen. Its pretty much just a speed bump release.

P Adams

As we've all said just enjoy it! 32gb of RAM is way over the top for what you'll be using it for anyway. One of 4 iMacs at work has 'only' 16gb in it and it's great for video and heavy Photoshop and Lightroom work

Guy of Gisbourne

Oh god yeah don't feel disappointed! It's not like you missed out on a whole new design. That's when you could be a whole lot of gutted

It's only speed bump and I'd guess less power consumption.

Like I said earlier, mines a 2013 model without the 5k screen, but I still don't feel like I'm missing out on anything major. So yours is perfectly fine and will be fine with High Sierra MacOS. Just enjoy.

I agree with this, had it been a new design it would have been a real downer. In fact I am really surprised the design has not been refreshed, last year I purchased a Dell 27" monitor to go with my Imac. Seeing the two side by side the Imac does look a bit dated with the thick black border around the screen compared to the 'edge to edge' display on the Dell.

Like 'Invisiblekid' I was going to upgrade my late 2012 model but as it still flies and does not struggle with anything I do I will wait for next major refresh.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I agree with this, had it been a new design it would have been a real downer. In fact I am really surprised the design has not been refreshed, last year I purchased a Dell 27" monitor to go with my Imac. Seeing the two side by side the Imac does look a bit dated with the thick black border around the screen compared to the 'edge to edge' display on the Dell.

Like 'Invisiblekid' I was going to upgrade my late 2012 model but as it still flies and does not struggle with anything I do I will wait for next major refresh.

With the prices they are now, no way am I upgrading until

a) it's too slow, unlikely for a while
b) design change. Likely to be sooner than "a"

Not seen the screen borders on the iMac Pro, but that puts paid to a complete redesign until 2019. I cannot see Apple going for all new iMac next year with the extremely expensive Pro version out at the end of this year.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom