Question Gut check, please: Good solution for large library?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Brian J, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Brian J

Brian J
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoping to find a network player for a large music library (potentially 300,000 tracks). Found out the hard way the NAD M50 sputters at 80,000 tracks, give or take. The Bryston BDP-2 has apparently been tested to 250,000+ tracks without problems. Not crazy about spending more than what the Bryston runs (or even spending that much!), but I'm curious if there's a player out there that I'm not thinking about. Many thanks. This board has been so helpful and such a great learning tool.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    Both the Nad and the Bryston are players that attempt to combine a player and server together....no such solution is problem free with large libraries, regardless of brand name, price, or hype.
    They all compromise on the required processor power making browsing of the library painful at some point.

The best performance for large music libraries is a microserver running something like Jriver.
    Set up the server, then concentrate on finding a network player with good dacs and audio reproduction.
    Leave the library handling and data delivery to the dedicated server, thats what they are exceptionally good at.

3. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Sonos tops out at 64K IIRC as it has a 16 bit counter in the index.

I have around 125,000 tracks in Logitech Media Server, of course the Sqeezebox players are now only available 2nd hand.

4. Brian J

Brian J
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks much for the advice. I've had a Synology DS412+ for a while; the FLACs now reside there. IIRC, Jriver is a bear to get working on a NAS. Think I have a big knowledge gap where the idea of "network player" is concerned...what's an example of one? I'd be feeding an NAD M51 DAC. Thanks again.

5. Brian J

Brian J
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have LMS running on a Synology DS12+, feeding a Touch and SB3 in bedroom and living room. Love it/them, but am wanting something else for my primary system. You guys have been really illuminating already; much appreciated.

6. arftech

arftech
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you thought about going the Mac or PC route? I'm currently using a MacBook Pro as server and streamer with Audivana + running on top of iTunes. This provides exceptional flexibility and quality. Just a thought.