1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gurantee / Warranty for DLP vs. Home Insurance

Discussion in 'TVs' started by hoppaz, Oct 26, 2005.

1. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Hi,

I would like some advise as I am going to be getting a Sammy 46" DLP in the new year.

I have a home insurance policy with a well known company that a lot of people buy their food shopping from. The policy covers "accidental damage" to house hold equipment (valued at a cost that would easily replace my av stuff) and was wondering if it is worth taking out an extended warranty on the set because some of these policies aren't worth the paper they are written on?

What does everyone think the policy as just says accidental damage so surely anything that happens to the set is not going to deliberate?

Has anyone has any experience on this as I don't want to pay for something I don't need.

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why can't you just say Tescos.

3. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    why is an extended warranty going to be worth any more on paper than a house insurance policy..they are both insurance policies

i personally have never taken an extended one out, ive yet to own anything electrical in value more than 2 years :) however, ive tended to find electrical stuff, like tv's in particular go wrong very early in life, or very late in lilfe (other peoples tv's)

regarding accidental damage, it normally means things like someone fell into the set, or a pot of paint fell on it etc

things like "i was trying to operate my tv buttons using a large stick" will not be seen as accidental damge :D

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    An extended warranty will cover some failure of the equipment due to, say, a component failure, blown internal fuse, etc. Home insurance will not.

Most extended warranties sold by shops INclude accidental damage. This is also what Home Insurance covers. So for this, you often end up paying twice (and being covered twice - but unable to CLAIM twice; insurers won't let you do that). This is where (for example) you drop it and crack it. Your child pours cocoa into it......etc. This is not warranty cover - this is accidental damage.

In other words, warranty covers the thing failing because IT wants to - all by itself. Damage covers it failing because someone does something to it.