Gunman opens fire at movie theatre in Colorado, 12 people killed

Very, very sad, but what do you mean "Only in America"?

Have you forgotten about Dunblane & Hungerford?

I'm listening to a live stream of Colorado's 1310kfka news talk radio station and they aren't even mentioning it? :eek:

When I posted only in America I wasn't being literal but I don't think you can compare the above 2 incidents to the regular thousands of gun related shootings that happen every year stateside.

Sounds to me like another disaffected youth who is responsible for this incident. A man in the audience wearing a gas mask sets off a gas cannister then starts shooting randomly and who has a possible explosive device in his car.

Last edited:
I'm listening to a live stream of Colorado's 1310kfka news talk radio station and they aren't even mentioning it? :eek:

When I posted only in America I wasn't being literal but I don't think you can compare the above 2 incidents to the regular thousands of gun related shootings that happen every year stateside.

I wasn't comparing those two incidents with "the thousands of gun related shootings that happen every year stateside", I never mentioned anything to that affect. :confused:

That aside, I don't see how you can't compare Dunblane and Hungerford to the situation in Denver, as it would appear to be someone who set out to kill &/or mame as many innocent people as he could (for whatever reasons he had in his head).

Sounds to me like another disaffected youth who is responsible for this incident. A man in the audience wearing a gas mask sets off a gas cannister then starts shooting randomly and who has a possible explosive device in his car.

Agreed, but lone lunatics don't just kill multiple innocent people in America.

Doug - I have to agree.
Azzin - from what I can see this incident is similar to Hungerford and Dunblaine. Bill has a point about it not being mentioned on talk radio - that is a place I would expect them to talk about it.

Only yesterday I was watching Bowling for Columbine on Netflix.
That film asks a fundamental question.
Why does this type of thing happen predominantly in the US?
Canada has weapons that are available to the public via gunshops with a comparable amount by percentage of their public owning guns but their gun crime stats are tiny compared to their neighbours.

Agreed, but lone lunatics don't just kill multiple innocent people in America.

It's looking more like a lone lunatic who has killed multiple innocent victims.

Last edited:
same place as yours soon, I imagine ;)

RIP to all the killed, and my thoughts are with their families at this tragic and terrible time :(

Terrible news and my thoughts go out to those that have lost loved ones. Rip

Last edited:
Why does this type of thing happen predominantly in the US?
Canada has weapons that are available to the public via gunshops with a comparable amount by percentage of their public owning guns but their gun crime stats are tiny compared to their neighbours.
I would say that it has some thing to do with America having a population of 300 million, and Canada having 30 million.
I bet you the percentages of such incidents are very similar all over the world, only in the eastern side they are kept under wraps.

I would say that it has some thing to do with America having a population of 300 million, and Canada having 30 million.
I bet you the percentages of such incidents are very similar all over the world, only in the eastern side they are kept under wraps.

Now now, don't be bringing actual logic and reason into this, only in the USA people get shot, it's not like it happens in the UK or all round the world. People used to get shot all the time here for reasons no one can even begin to even work out.

There's bad people everywhere.

Good point but I did say by percentage.
I think you'll find that Canada has nowhere near 10% of gun crimes that would be around the marker considering they have around 10% of the United States population.

Their main problem is that wacky 2nd amendment to which the NRA pride themselves on, but that kinda gets diminished when considering Canada or even Switzerland where a large percentage of their population own weapons.

Chris Rock joked that all bullets should cost $5000.

Many a true word spoken in jest.

Last edited:
What the hell is wrong with some people :(

I'm not posting this to cause offence or to be controversial and if anyone is offended I will remove it immediately but I think this short cartoon is pertinent to this thread, as well as amusing.

Last edited:
This is the plot of Peter Bogdanovich's 1968 film 'Targets', starring Boris Karloff.

It's looking more like a lone lunatic who has killed multiple innocent victims.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post, but the point I was making was that it doesn't only happen in America (in response to your "Only in America" comment), it happens in all countries and has happened here in the UK too.

I'm wondering if this is a terrorist attack or was politically motivated. Someone on reddit claimed the shooter was dark skinned wearing what looked like an Iranian flag around his neck. The thread has been deleted as people thought he was trolling.

But saying that, why would they send in a bio hazard team in?

I'm wondering if this is a terrorist attack or was politically motivated. Someone on reddit claimed the shooter was dark skinned wearing what looked like an Iranian flag around his neck. The thread has been deleted as people thought he was trolling.

Sky have Tweeted that it's not terrorism.

Sky News Breaking said:
FBI: No indication that Colorado shooting is connected to terrorism.

[Edit] - Oh dear...

Sky News said:
A three-month-old baby is reported to be among those shot after at least 14 people were killed in a crowded cinema in Denver.

http://news.sky.com/story/962775/live-updates-killings-at-denver-cinema

http://news.sky.com/story/962756/fourteen-shot-dead-at-batman-film-premiere

Last edited:
HI,

From the various TV news sources (ABC, the BBC News Channel, Sky, and CNN), it seems that:

A masked man entered the front of the cinema, clad all in black, wearing a bulletproof vest and gas mask, carrying at least one assualt rifle and a handgun. The cinema audience were about 30 minutes into the new Batman film, when a some kind of smoke-bomb or gas cannister was thrown into the audience. At that point, the gunman then started opening fire, randomly targetting patrons of all ages.

Ten died there-and-then. A further 4 died either en-route to, or in, hospital. One victim, as has been mentioned, is an infant.

Around 50 more were injured in one manner or another. One of which, was a nine-year-old boy.

(In case anyone is wondering why infants and nine-year-olds are in a film aimed at a teenage audience, it's a perversity of the US ratings system. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES has been given a PG-13 in the USA, which means that whilst the film is considered to be unsuitable for those under the age of 13, parents and guardians, 17 years and over, can accompany kids into the film. As such, US cinemagoers will often find that adults regularly take small kids and even babies into the cinemas with them. :eek: )

The gunman was caught, and is now in custody.

No matter why this happened, or that it happened in Colorado, or even in the USA, this is a shocking and horrific incident. It will be interesting to see why the gunman did what he did.

Presumably, and from news reports, it sounds like he will face the death penalty, or certainly face life in prison.

Pooch

Last edited:

FBI have confirmed that they don't believe it was terror related.

It has been reported that a gas canister was release in the auditorium so assume its standard practice for bio-hazard in those circumstances until they have identified what has been released.

Sky have Tweeted that it's not terrorism.

[Edit] - Oh dear...

Live Updates: Killings At Denver Cinema

Fourteen Shot Dead At Batman Film Premiere

I'm a bit confused as to how a 3 month old baby was alledgedly killed in this?

I guess it's early days and the facts will come out later, but I thought the killings all took place in the actual cinema where people where watching Batman?

If that's the case, how did a 3 month old baby get killed?

Maybe the killings took place in the actual cinema foyer/areas, rather than in the actual area where the film was being shown?

Either way, a very sad time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom