Gumtree

plaver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bannockburn, Australia & Benfleet England
Has any here used Gumtree to buy and sell, I only discovered the site a few days ago and have done any trade on there. The reason for asking is that I want to deal with guy and he says that Gumtree hold the money until I receive the goods and confirm everything is OK, is this true as I can't find any reference to this on the web site. www.gumtree.com or is this other scam site like eBid

Has any here used Gumtree to buy and sell, I only discovered the site a few days ago and have done any trade on there. The reason for asking is that I want to deal with guy and he says that Gumtree hold the money until I receive the goods and confirm everything is OK, is this true as I can't find any reference to this on the web site. www.gumtree.com or is this other scam site like eBid

Hi mate. Gumtree do not take any part in the money exchange as far as I am aware. I think he is having you on.

I have sold a couple of things on Gumtree and the site itself has had no involvement in the payment side of things.

I used to sell quite a lot of stuff on gumtree and never had any problems but I always used to arrange to meet the buyer to sell in person, I didnt know that gumtree kept your money either but I would make sure it says that on the site before sending any money. The only thing I tried to buy from the site was a laptop and it was a scam because it was in the Belfast gumtree part of the site and he told me that he was in London and needed the money to get home to Belfast, I found he had placed the same advert in loads of different areas in the U.K. on gumtree.

No worries.

btw, you weren't trying to buy any tickets for the UEFA Cup final were you? :D

Na, I've been all over Russia on Business, a number of years ago when the trade barriers started to come down.

I just hope both sets of supports behave themselves, you heard the old saying

'Taken away and never seen again' :eek:

I support The IRONS :D

Gumtree's basically an online version of Loot, and aren't an Escrow service! Sounds like the blokes on the con ;)

Na, I've been all over Russia on Business, a number of years ago when the trade barriers started to come down.

I just hope both sets of supports behave themselves, you heard the old saying

'Taken away and never seen again' :eek:

I support The IRONS :D

The UEFA Cup final is in Manchester, but the same comments would probably apply. :devil:

I only ask because there is a dodgy guy trying to sell tickets on Gumtree (keeps changing his name and email addy too). :thumbsdow :mad:

I post the following comments recieved from the seller on GUMTREE:

1) You have to send me your full name and shipping address in order to contact GumTree to start the deal;
2) GumTree will contact you and give you all the financial details about our deal;
3) You can send the money to my name and address but you will not provide me the details of the payment.You will provide the details to GumTree.They will verify the payment and if is ok,and the money are available under my name they will notify me to procede with the shipping.
After you receive and see that the package is the one you want,you just notify GumTree to forward me the payment details in order for me to pick up my money;As payment method i accept Western Union Money Transfer.
4) If you will not receive the package not as advertised,GumTree will refund you the whole amount which you paid me(100 %).In case that you will not receive the package,they will refund you the money back from my account.

Gumtree Conformation:

Thanks for checking ****. All of the above is absolutely NOT TRUE.

Gumtree works like an online notice board simply connecting you to local buyers/ sellers, local job recruiters, private landlords etc. We don't provide any role at all in transactions. We also recommend caution when dealing with any stranger suggesting you use Western Union because in our experience it is favoured by fraudsters.

Lets this be warning for anyone using GUMTREE who get the above or simular for any seller.

I won't be going ahead with the sale and I have sent the seller a polite email and reported the thread to GUMTREE admin

Always beware when someone wants payment with Western Union, especially on a site like gumtree.

eek!

BBC NEWS | England | London | Gumtree buyer stabbed in heart

Gumtree buyer stabbed in heart

Open heart surgery was needed to save a man stabbed in east London after going to buy a car from someone he contacted through the website Gumtree.

The victim, 42, went to Barking to buy a VW Golf advertised on the site.

But he was ambushed, then beaten, kicked and stabbed in the heart, lungs and abdomen, before the £5,000 he was to pay with was stolen.

The car's true owner was unaware it had been offered for sale. Two men have been arrested by police and given bail.

A Friend of mine went to go pick up a laptop he thought he was buying off Gumtree, he met the guy who told him to wait in the street while he goes inside to fetch the laptop.

Well the guy came running out at my buddy trying to attack him to steal his money, little did the vermon know that my buddy played provincial rugby in South Africa, so my friend body slammed the guy into the pavement then went to the tube station around the corner to call the cops, I think it might have been around bermondsey station or somewhere.

Ive bought and sold on gumtree in the past and never had an issue - although its always best to excersize caution when dealing with people.

For a start - if the person your dealing with isnt local - dont bother. Chat to the person in advance both via email and on the phone.... as a rule you can get a good feel for what type of person they are - and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS insist on cash payment and never turn up alone to meet the buyer / seller.

even then you cant guarantee anything - but when dealing with strangers online common sense is always king.

....although i would echo what other people have said about gumtree - its best to steer clear.... what started out as a great way to buy and sell goods has basically descended into a cheap and tacky place for 'personal' ads now as far as i can see.

Bogus Gumtree car salesmen jailed

BBC NEWS | England | Bogus Gumtree car salesmen jailed

Two men who placed fake car adverts on the Gumtree website and then robbed people who responded have been jailed.

Richard McCrorie, 25, and Alexander Gould, 22, arranged to meet potential buyers in quiet, residential locations in affluent areas of Surrey.

But once a buyer arrived the men used guns and metal bars to force their victim into handing over cash.

McCrorie, of West Molesey, was given seven years and Gould, from Manchester, was jailed for six years.

"The pair carried out a series of similar attacks until they were caught by undercover officers posing as buyers.

McCrorie and Gould turned up at the meeting armed with a knife and a gun, to launch their attack on what they believed to be the couple's white van.

Instead, the van was full of police officers who used Tasers to subdue and arrest the pair."

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Would have loved to have seen their faces :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom