• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

gumtree - will be using it a lot more

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
Put my laptop on gumtree and got a few messages of "Hi is this still available".

"Certainly is" was my response :)

A few often replied back with (word for word) all using Yahoo email addresses :rolleyes:

Hi Thanks for getting back to me i will want to know the recent
condition of this item and its total amount.I 'm sending it to someone
as a Birthday Gift in West Africa(Nigeria),via Royal Mail
International Signed For,but unfortunately I'm not opportune to come
get the item myself,so i will really appreciate if you can kindly post
the item for me which i will offer you the sum of £90 for postage and
packaging of the items Abroad.I will want us to sincerely deal with
each other through PayPal Online Auction or Via Bank Transfer,cause i
believe its safe for both of us..I will love you to get back to me
with all the answers and also PayPal money request or your bank
details and the overall cost of the total amount plus p&p and your
gumtree ad number,so payment can be made asap and i can get back to
you with the postage address.

I await your quick responds?

Any way we decided against the Nigerian offer (as appealing as it was) ,turns out a rather nice chap from Gosforth wanted it and just came to pick up , even asked how much I wanted for my TV as he'd never seen one so slim (Much to his wife's dismay) :D

I'd use Gumtree again and overall it was a good experience being the first time I have used it, although my missus did nearly fall for the amove message glad i was in though to show her the error of her ways ;)

Think i'll consider Gumtree a lot more now over ebay

Last edited:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I'm a massive fan of gumtree but since I've been using it (since '08) the number of replies like above really has ballooned, so if selling something the ratio of scammers:genuine is about 8 to 1. It's annoying but once you get through the scammers, you often get a local face to face sale without all the ebay fees :thumbsup: like with anything, just use common sense!

Last edited:

Marc

Distinguished Member
I just recently started using Gumtree, but i'm struggling a bit with it as i don't think my emails are getting through to people. I was trying to buy a PS3 and i replied to about 10 ads using their online form but didn't get a single reply. So i texted a couple of the people i'd emailed, who also had their mobile number listed, and got replies straight away.

Similarly, for the items i'm selling, i've had quite a few people email me asking if it's still available, can they come see it etc, so i reply to their email using hotmail, but never hear anything more from them. Again, i texted a couple of people to ask if they had received the email, and neither of them had.

It's frustrating to say the least! But i have managed to sell two items, a wardrobe for £60 and an xbox 360 steering wheel for £15, both of which were ones where i texted the person rather than email them.

Still desperately trying to sell a 50" tv, two desks, an av receiver, a table and a blu ray player before i move house in 2 weeks though, and i'm not feeling hopeful :(

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
the tevion multi region one, i put it up for £60 which is half what i paid for it

I think that would have to go to £40 or lower as you can buy Sony, Samsung and LG for that price, although rarely Multi-region people will not take that into account.

I had a Tevion DVD recorder that was so-so, the remote was :censored:.

loz_the_guru

Interestingly enough ebay owns gumtree, they bought it a few years back. I use it mainly for larger, not post-able stuff although i've picked up the odd bargain there too. Shame they removed the 'casual relationships' page a few years bag, 'twas always a hoot.

Marc

Distinguished Member
I think that would have to go to £40 or lower as you can buy Sony, Samsung and LG for that price, although rarely Multi-region people will not take that into account.

I had a Tevion DVD recorder that was so-so, the remote was :censored:.

yeah you might be right, but i'm not too bothered if that one doesn't sell cos it won't be difficult to fit that in my new flat.. the rest however, will not fit! Maybe i'm just pricing everything too high, or not advertising them well enough i don't know, it's hard to judge isn't it? Especially when you know you paid 5x more for the thing new in some cases. I'm selling a really nice desk for £50 which cost me either £199 or £249 new and little workstation desk for £25, and a glass coffee table for £15 (was £20 until today) and then there's my old Sony 50" LCD Rear Proj tv which i have no idea what a fair price is, got it up at £225 at the moment or to swap for a PS3.

Maybe i should put "quick sale needed due to house move" in the ads or something.. it'd probably cause me to get lots of lowball offers but that's better than no offers i suppose.

Last edited:

Member 513627

The only problem with gumtree is that it's hard to sift through the scam merchants.

It used to be really really good, but as you say now you got multiple replies from people trying to con you, I found that a lot as I was using gum tree to search a place to rent and it's full of people advertising apartments who reply in broken English.

You could try adding that you need a quick sale, thing is, is there is anything else you can do to show the potential customer that you're also genuine?

Pictures etc

Good luck!

Marc

Distinguished Member
well, great start to today's gumtree action.. someone arranged to come round and see my tv at 9am, but didn't show up :(

let's hope the ones i have for my desk and av receiver later go better..

edit: sold the AV receiver (denon avr 1906) for £40, but the woman who came round to see my desk thought it looked too chunky, but someone also bought my glass coffee table for £15 so i'm getting there slowly!

edit 2: also sold GH3 with guitar, only a tenner but i never use it so better than nothing

Last edited:

Marc

Distinguished Member
hooray, just sold my Denon 1920 dvd player which i put on there this morning, for £20 and i have people coming round to look at one of my desks and my tv later today (at least they've said they're coming)

sparkymark75

I've only used it once and that was to sell my iPhone 4. All I got were offers from Nigerians :rolleyes:

So I just gave up and advertised it on here. Much prefer buying selling/stuff on here than eBay.

Marc

Distinguished Member
of the two people i mentioned in my last post, one didn't turn up and the other turned up and said they wanted to pick it up this morning, but they didn't turn up to pick it up... luckily someone else texted me last night saying they were interested in the tv so i texted them back today, they came out and bought it for £170 :thumbsup:, so that's another thing down.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
What's wrong with using the classifieds here? Especially for the AV kit.

Classifieds here are my first port of call if I need to sell anything.

Marc

Distinguished Member
What's wrong with using the classifieds here? Especially for the AV kit.

Classifieds here are my first port of call if I need to sell anything.

three reasons - 1) the exposure here wouldn't be as high as gumtree, freeads etc, 2) this site doesn't group by location, 3) it's against the rules to advertise items elsewhere while they're listed here.

I just sold an old hi-fi a couple of hours after listing it for £10. I was going to put it on freecycle but i thought i'd try a nominal fee on gumtree first and it paid off. Also sold my PS2 for £15 (same guy who didn't show up to buy the PS2 the other day was the one who bought the hi-fi so he bought the ps2 as well)

Marc

Distinguished Member
well with a few days to spare, i just sold my two desks to a landlord looking to fit out some houses he's renting. Only got £30 for the both of them, but i'm just glad i won't have to try and fit them in my new flat! That means that everything i needed to get rid of is gone, hooray! :arty:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom