• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gumtree (and others) Scams...how do they work

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Having advertised a high value item on Gumtree last week it finally sold today for hard readies to a guy just over an hour's drive away who was knowledgable about the item, liked what he saw and bought it for slightly less than my asking price but more than my absolute bottom price.
Only having used Gumtree once before I was kinda shocked at the amount of obvious scammers who contacted me first by text...all wanting to pay by Paypal despite my ad clearly stating I would only accept cash on collection or bank transfer.
A couple of examples...

From an "angelawolfgang"...is the item still for sale and "how much you selling last"
"I will love to have come to check it but am currently out of town at the in Dublin currently am new to buying things online, would you please allow me to pay through pay pal even though I will be responsible for the fees for the shipping.
Am out of town to visit my sick mum and would like to purchase it from you on behalf of my friend who needs your item.
This is the only method that I can get to get you paid that is reliable and easy and guarantee transaction safety.
Once you send me your pay pal email account. I will send you the payment for your item as well as some money to cover the shipping via UPS. I would be glad if my request is favorably considered. £10 for shipping thanks."

Another one...

From "ripconsult" or "jason.clark1602"...after I confirmed it was still for sale and he wanted to know my "firm price"
"Okay sounds good...am seriously interested and ready to buy it for my brother in Malaysia as a B'day gift but am currently offshore due to the nature of my work so I'll be glad to know your firm price before proceeding further with the purchase...bla bla bla etc...he also went on...
I would complete your payment via PayPal as I'll be responsible for the transaction charges and include an extra £150 To your payment for the shipment fee via DHL"

All the above spelling/grammar as per the scammers.

I was just wondering how the scam works once they've "paid" by PayPal?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I suspected that but why do they frequently use the "I'm buying it for a friend and I'm out of town or I'm offshore" etc?...and doesn't PayPal check these people who make a habit of buying high value items them claim they didn't receive them etc?

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
They use that tack because people amazingly still fall for it. It's that simple

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom