• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gull in flight

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Nice composition and good sharp shot of the face but could do with a great DOF to get more detail in the wings (which in turn may mean upping the ISO to keep a fast enough shutter speed).

tontoshorse

Prominent Member
As John says, these type of shots need to be pin sharp throughout, I think the DoF is ok (beak and tail in focus) but probably needs a faster shutter.

Mind you its miles better than anything I could turn out with wildlife!

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
thanks both , just had a look at the EXIF , 1000th of a second and f9 @ iso 200 , focal length was 275 mm , would i seriously have needed more than any of that to get total sharpness ?? :)

shotokan101

Banned
Looks good to me :cool:

Jim

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
thanks , the more i look at it , the more i am liking it , sharp face , bit of movement in the wings :)

I was using F11 and 1/2000 sec for these http://www.avforums.com/forums/photo-sharing/1022490-big-birds.html#post9802072

Take some bread and get the Gulls to come to you ;)

Holo could probably give you a few tips for Gulls

never thought about bread to be honest !! , done it with ducks before but not gulls , funny thing was , i wasnt going for gulls , i was hoping for salmon and seals :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Last edited:

Holowlegs

Prominent Member
Hello there

I always try and shot at the biggest aperture I can.

What I feel this does is isolate the subject with the background. Then in PP I only sharpen the subject so it brings it out more.

Hope you don't mind here is an example.

| 1/3200 | f/5.6 | 420 mm | ISO 400 |

As you can see I was shooting at f5.6 which gave me a shutter speed of 1/3200, ISO 400. So on the day I would of kept the aperture at 5.6, and change the ISO to get my shutter speeds.

Your setting were f9, this IMHO is to small an aperture, and is you brought this down you would of got faster shutter speeds. and you could of frozen them wings.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

JSW

Prominent Member
The ones I met went mad for bread

That was at 70mm so you might want something a bit wider

Last edited:

JSW

Prominent Member
Yeah wish I had of used my 17-50mm but there's always next time :)

Have someone throw the bread in the air for you and tell them to be prepared to be mobbed lol

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom