Guitar - what songs have that awesome guitar solo you love so much?

Discussion in 'Xbox One Rocksmith' started by Tufty McTavish, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Tufty McTavish

Tufty McTavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Over the course of the w/e my band got together for some world tour action in RB2. Towards the end of the session our vocalist pulled up a challenge that started off with Jethro Tull's "Aqualung." I don't mind the odd bit of 'Tull, and have a few of their albums, but I don't really think I've heard this album before.

Now I'm a huge fan of this song, mostly because the guitar solo towards the end is just soooooooo satisfying to play (FYI, I'm on Expert guitar here) that I love it to bits. In fact, at the w/e our drummer was laughing at me as he noticed I move forward and closer to the centre of the room, assumed the rock star pose, legs spread, back arched, really giving it some large on guitar. Just awesome, more so because the volume was up l-o-u-d and I'm playing with 3 friends in the same room.

Another song I just adore the guitar solo for is Pearl Jam's "Alive." This is a band I'm only truely familiar with through their songs in GH/RB but I really enjoy them. Our last band session saw us fail to complete "Alive" because the vocalist decided to have a go on Hard drums and promptly failed. I was so gutted at not getting to do the guitar solo I had to request a repeat.

Awesome RB songs to play fake plastic guitar to - go...

2. PlexShaw

PlexShaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Alive and Aqualung are 100% pure awesome on vocals too. :thumbsup:

3. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    That song has some real dodgy lyrics though :eek:

4. PlexShaw

PlexShaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Yeah absolutely: I remember thinking, "What is all this?!" when I first played it. But it's grown on me and I now love it. :thumbsup:

Anyway, back to the guitar solos... :oops:

5. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    yeah, sorry :blush:

Alive is a favourite of mine, along with Limelight (Original Version) as I love the song so much. I can't remember many more off hand.

6. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,670
    yea alive is a fav of mine too, some others i love, but are too hard or fast to ebjoy!

7. stubbs99

stubbs99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I really enjoy playing the two solos in 'I Could Have Lied' by RHCP. They are fairly simple but very satisfying to play

One of the most exciting and most 'complete' solos must be the second one in GG&HT: - It has everything including fast strumming, trills, sweeps and zigzags. Upon reaching the ending it feels like an accomplishment.

I really enjoy the Highway Star solo. The hammer-on sections are really fun and I love the way the solo sounds.

Others I can think of include Ramblin Man, Hysteria, Bloodstone and Kool Thing.

8. Tufty McTavish

Tufty McTavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    You'd have to start up the "Vocals - those awesome songs you truly let rip on?" thread I reckon as I don't do vocals!

9. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,670
    I love playing the Gimme Shelter solos....yes I know they are mega easy to 100%, but I just love that song and it's nice playing a solo I can get 100% on tbh!!

Also love the lsower pace.

Really like some of the Grateful Dead (pack 1) solos, but some are horrible too...

10. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Franklins tower (grateful dead). Awesome, why? coz theres four solo's in the song! thats right four solos, all of which are fun and not too fast (yup my 30 something old fingers cant cope with Megadeth solo's). China cat Sunflower is great too as its basically ALL a solo, HOPO heaven that one.

I know its the opposite of this topic but the solo i hate is the Bodhisatva chord hopo bit (not sure if its actually part of the solo TBH) Classic case of HMX going a bit too OTT with their charting. Oh i also hate the Constant motion solo as its the only guitar song i cant pass on rock band, grrr.

11. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Late to the party but after just watching the GGAHT video I remember just how much fun that was trying to pass on Expert in the first game so it gets my vote. Off the RB2 setlist I'd probably say Any Way You Want It by Journey, not the most difficult but I love the song and its great fun.

12. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    GGAHT as it is pretty much one long crazy solo!

Being a huge ATR fan i love the solos in those tracks because ive heard them so much its great fun try to play them, Oil Herbert is a genius!

13. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    I love playing the "kind of" solo in More then a feeling cause I love the song but for a nice challenging ones I play Avenged 7 Fold - AfterLife and All That Remains - Two weeks.

14. Nik73

Nik73
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,060
    Another vote for "Alive" for me. Awesome stuff. Also love "Wanted Dead Or Alive". It was one of the main reasons for me learning to play guitar. The pinch harmonic fest isn't quite as satisying in RB but still great fun. :smashin:

15. UselessLuke

UselessLuke
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    When I used to play through Ten I'd do so on bass, as I learned to play most of it on bass in real life. This post got me to try out Alive on guitar and boy is it fun. That so just...flows. Brother is great fun too!

While not being the guitar solo that does it for me but the whole of Love Spreads by The Stone Roses. The constant ho/po's really flow and it's so satisfying to play on expert guitar.

I can also finally constantly do Dream Theater's Panic Attack on expert bass. That main fast ho/po riff is great fun and it really impresses people who are watching without actually being as hard as it looks

16. FutureShark

FutureShark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I really enjoy 'Carry On My wayward Son' from Kansas, was great on GH2 and even better on RB2 (now that I've also improved and try on expert).

Also 'More then a Feeling' by Boston is quite nice to play. :thumbsup:

17. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    I have been trying to master the funky little breakdown in the middle of this track since GH2, i was glad when it came on to RB2 and the note track was the same so i could continue my battle with this song. Its not that hard but i just never been able to master it, love trying though.

18. FutureShark

FutureShark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah, it's a challenging little number, but liek you say i find it a really rewarding song to play - even if I do muck it up!

19. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Another vote for Alive (although on Hard is better for me, i can do it on expert but i'm not good enough yet) and i also really like Live Forever, the 2nd of the 2 solo's especially when you have a mate shouting into the mic thinkin he's Liam

20. jegan111

jegan111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've just been trying some of the Iron Maiden tracks like The Trooper and Run To The Hills on hard. There are some nice solo's on them that just get better when it gets harder. Another vote from me for More Than a Feeling too. Great solo in there too!