• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Guitar into laptop help?

robhullfury

Hi,

Im really sorry if this has been covered before but I am a bit stuck.

I have just bought a Fender Strat and want to start learning, age 39 and need a sensible hobby.

I bought one of the package deals that squier do with the amp, ( off auction site) all is immaculate and im very happy with it. I have a young family so only really get time on an evening to practice and getting the amp out (or leaving it out) isnt practical. Im normally quite savvy with stuff like this but im stuck, I figured I could use my laptop and (learning through yousician) to simply plug into my mic socket and my laptop would pick it up and I could play away without making a racket.

However, the laptop doesnt seem to want to do as I thought it should/could? I have one of the headphone amps you can pickup off amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EHK8HA4?tag=duc08-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 which has a gain, tone and volume dial with a headphone 3.5mm jack and an aux 3.5mm. I cant seem to get it working through yousician to hear the guitar? In the settings the mic level is at full volume in the red so ive switched the levels down completely but cant get it in the green.

Am I missing some vital lead between?
does the guitar need the amp inline?
how do other people do it?

Bit frustrated as I cant sit blasting the amp out constantly and hoped I could sit at a reason level of noise and play happily..

thanks for any help in advance

Rob

duncfunk

How are you connecting this to the laptop?

The best way to hook up your guitar would be to buy a usb audio interface and run it through that into the laptop. That would also allow you to record as well which you might want to do at some stage (they nearly all come with free recording software). An example would be something like this:

robhullfury

Hi, I was just connecting through a 3.5mm jack into the mic socket on my laptop then into the 6.35mm plug into the guitar. that didnt work so they I connected into the aux on the headphone adaptor with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

Id been watching youtube today and the guy just plugged it in and it worked straight away??

Rob

duncfunk

Is the aim with yousician to have your guitar input into it for some reason or do you just want to hear both at the same time? The 3.5mm from the headphone out of the laptop in to the aux of the amp should work fine. One of the dials on the amp should control the volume of the aux input, presumably the level dial?

robhullfury

I was thinking yousician wouldn't be able to hear the guitar without some input? I have the app on my phone but I aren't keen on it and preferred it on the bigger screen.

Rob

duncfunk

Yeah sorry I'm not familiar with yousician so wondered if it needed to hear what you're playing in order to give feedback. The phones out from the amp won't really work into a mic input, a line input is what you need. Which laptop is it as many wouldn't even have a mic input? Maybe there's a setting to switch it to a line input which is a feature on a lot of audio interfaces. A usb interface would solve all of your problems though as you could monitor yourself through headphones via the laptop.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
A USB interface is really the way to go. The one Dunc posted would work fine, you can also look at other from iRig, Apogee, M-Audio. Once you're hooked up that way, you can start looking at amp software, plugins, etc from the likes of IK Multimedia and many others. Deffo spend a bit of time on Youtube having a look at what's available

robhullfury

Great thank you for your help. I've just been start strumming one string fiddling with settings on laptop for hours haha. At least I know it doesn't look like it could be done, I'll pick up a usb interface and take it from there.

Thanks for taking time to read and all the help

Rob

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom