Guitar Hero IV: First details released!

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Game Informer have a GH:IV cover story this month, details below have been posted online....

• Guitar Hero 4 (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)
  • Create a song. Although these exclude vocals due to storage and possible copyright issues.
  • You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it.
  • You'll be limited to 5 songs at first. But depending on the ratings you get you'll possibly be able to upload 10 or more.
  • The song sharing mode will be in the Wii and PS2 versions also, but GI says it's unlikely that it'll be as robust as the PS3 and 360 versions.
  • Drums, bass, vocals guitar
  • Create a rocker
  • Create a guitar and drums
  • All songs will be master tracks
  • They don't want to discuss specifics on track listing out of fear of being scooped by the competition. However they confirmed 4 bands: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime.
  • A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future".
  • GI saw see through notes while playing that Neversoft said was the new input mechanic and that they were trying to patent.

*Head Explodes*

That sounds amazing!!! When is is it out? And you better be able to use rock band drums, because otherwise it will be a lot of money :thumbsdow
Love the sound of create a song, always wanted to do this!

Also just read on GH.com that there will be six drums, including two symbals! And it isn't known if they and the rock band instruments are compatable or not.

A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future".

that is worrying.
does this mean existing guitars wont work on GH4? so well have to buy yet another guitar.

^^ Indeed. :(

And as it's now looking like direct competition with RB I would be extremely surprised if any of the peripherals were compatable.

And as it's now looking like direct competition with RB I would be extremely surprised if any of the peripherals were compatable.

I would be amazed if the peripherals werent compatible. It would be in both developers interests to make a behind the scenes deal due to expense involved.

12fe849dke2.jpg

robabadrafbdf3frf2.jpg

I dont work for Harmonix, Activision, Neversoft, Red Octane, EA or MTV Games, and I can OFFICALLY (of course unofficially) confirm that the 2 peripherals will NOT be compatible with one another! They are in direct competiton with each other, and the money lost on using the Rock Band drums (which couldnt be done anyway as there is one more input on the GH drum kit by the looks of things) as well as the guitar would be foolish. They'd make all this gear, and people would use their Rock band gear to play the new GH songs. Its never gonna happen. All we can hope is for Rock band 2 (those that are buying that series I mean) the drums are made with cymbals and another input method so there is a small chance they *could* be compatible, but as I say, I honestly doubt it!

Create a song sounds amazing, but with Rock band we are seeing what is effectivly the 'prototype' release for full band rythym gaming, but it will vastly improve over the series, and one will always outdo the other. Rock band 2 will most probably have create a song AND be able to upload it for people to download to listen to on their MP3 players. Guitar Hero 5 will have create a song, upload to buy, AND full song composition, including lyrics for bands to get a platform in the gaming market to release their material and so on (as I say, I dont work for either company, handy since my ideas are so crap! :rolleyes:)

I'll reserve judgement on the GH Drums, as they could very well be prototypes and an unfinished article (cos man are they ugly). How about having some actual round discs for cymbals? Why those terrible quarter discs? But, saying that, they are fully WIRELESS!!!

I need to win the lotto! Being a 'casual' gamer is getting pretty hardcore! :suicide:

I know for a fact that i will be buying this and all the persipherals, but it is going to end up expensive! I already have GH3 and guitar, i am buying GH2 and guitar in a while, i am getting RB with all the kit, i am buying GH Aerosmith when it comes out (just the game though) and i am now going to be getting this. I'll need a room just for the kit soon!!

I know for a fact that i will be buying this and all the persipherals, but it is going to end up expensive! I already have GH3 and guitar, i am buying GH2 and guitar in a while, i am getting RB with all the kit, i am buying GH Aerosmith when it comes out (just the game though) and i am now going to be getting this. I'll need a room just for the kit soon!!

Jeepers, and a vault for all your cash! Do you go swimming in it like Scrooge McDuck does? :D

They said 2008 was gonna be an expensive year, they werent kidding! :(

I already have GH3 and guitar, i am buying GH2 and guitar in a while, i am getting RB with all the kit, i am buying GH Aerosmith when it comes out (just the game though) and i am now going to be getting this. I'll need a room just for the kit soon!!
If I were you, and depending on how soon you need a second guitar, I'd get GHII as a Solus version and then wait and get the GH: Aerosmith bundle when that is released, as (IMO) the Xplorer is dreadful in comparison to the Les Paul.

I know for a fact that i will be buying this and all the persipherals, but it is going to end up expensive! I already have GH3 and guitar, i am buying GH2 and guitar in a while, i am getting RB with all the kit, i am buying GH Aerosmith when it comes out (just the game though) and i am now going to be getting this.

Right there with you, edwardtickle! I've invested so many hours in GH2/3 and enjoyed myself so much, and continue to do so to this day, that I just accept that I'll want to upgrade as I go along.

I'll need a room just for the kit soon!!

:) Band room!

If I were you, and depending on how soon you need a second guitar, I'd get GHII as a Solus version and then wait and get the GH: Aerosmith bundle when that is released, as (IMO) the Xplorer is dreadful in comparison to the Les Paul.

Totally agree. I wub my Les Paul from GH3, I'd just like it to be a little more reliable as it's starting to shake at the neck with the associated problems that comes with that. I wouldn't want to go back to the Xplorer guitar, although I have a couple for spares/vistitors.

the create a song sounds awesome and it would be brilliant if they had some sort of user created dlc marketplace but im sure there would be copyright issues if they did. you could dl and vote for it to roughly arrange the songs in some sort of quality order.

i imagine that adding the note charts will be quite tricky with a lot of stop start action!

i imagine that adding the note charts will be quite tricky with a lot of stop start action!

Tricky, but by 'eck would it be fun!! :smashin:

One other thing to watch out for is the quality of the music & bands included in the game as if you can bring literally any song you want into the game then they may think that they can let their quality and quantity slip.

One other thing to watch out for is the quality of the music & bands included in the game as if you can bring literally any song you want into the game then they may think that they can let their quality and quantity slip.

Thing is Matt, information is very scarce at this point, but I thought I'd read that 'create' a song was more 'edit' an existing song to include your own elements to it, ie drum fills and other solos etc. I dont think you can necessarily 'bring' a song into the game, as there are issues surrounding vocal licensing on tracks, so whereas the mode does sound interesting and innovative, I wouldnt be surprised if it was limited and flawed somewhat. Plus, how many people would know what chords and notes to play to put a song in to the game, unless they were a musician. The music for the game was made with real instruments, then the games 'notes' were added later, but doing it the other way around..... :nono: Might be a bit more difficult than they'd make out.

Unless it is just the 'edit' a song that I thought I'd read, which might work a little better! Who knows though, its gonna be interesting when more newsw filters through. I'll keep an eye on this one, even though I'm sticking with Rock band... for now!!!!

one thing stuck out for me there from the new details list

A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future

please let that be for a crybaby....then there may be some tool songs :eek:

yeh rite:rotfl:

I can't help but feel they'll bring out a pedal for the guitar at somepoint. Also the good thing about this is, is that the GH2 guitar and the GH3 guitar already have the port so it would mean no one would be forced into getting another guitar.

Looking at Rock Band and Guitar Hero 4, they both do what I require now. Enable me to have 3 mates round, and not have to take it turns playing the game, we can all play at the same time. Waiting for that guitar to be passed onto you is like waiting for eternity, or being number 250 in line for Annabel Chong!

However I still believe content download will be the key factor for me, and judging by Guitar Hero's offerings over the last year or so, Rock Band really does seem streets ahead. To be honest I'd rather Activision shelved the create a song mode and just promised regular content rather than being dripped fed song packs. Hey Activision, why not even release all the Aerosmith songs as content download too? While you're at it, how about you promise us all content will be compatible with future Guitar Hero's? That way saving us swapping discs, and in theory would probably put more money in Activision's pocket after retailer's mark up with the disc version.

At the moment I'm probably spending around ÂŁ10 a month on Singstar songs on the PS3 due to them having a song update every other Friday. If the content is there, I'll buy it. And I believe that is the case for most people. So Activision, where art thou is my Guitar Hero content? :confused:

I can't help but feel they'll bring out a pedal for the guitar at somepoint. Also the good thing about this is, is that the GH2 guitar and the GH3 guitar already have the port so it would mean no one would be forced into getting another guitar.

Looking at Rock Band and Guitar Hero 4, they both do what I require now. Enable me to have 3 mates round, and not have to take it turns playing the game, we can all play at the same time. Waiting for that guitar to be passed onto you is like waiting for eternity, or being number 250 in line for Annabel Chong!

However I still believe content download will be the key factor for me, and judging by Guitar Hero's offerings over the last year or so, Rock Band really does seem streets ahead. To be honest I'd rather Activision shelved the create a song mode and just promised regular content rather than being dripped fed song packs. Hey Activision, why not even release all the Aerosmith songs as content download too? While you're at it, how about you promise us all content will be compatible with future Guitar Hero's? That way saving us swapping discs, and in theory would probably put more money in Activision's pocket after retailer's mark up with the disc version.

At the moment I'm probably spending around ÂŁ10 a month on Singstar songs on the PS3 due to them having a song update every other Friday. If the content is there, I'll buy it. And I believe that is the case for most people. So Activision, where art thou is my Guitar Hero content? :confused:

Haha!:rotfl: You'd still get your go Seedy!! :D

I think the DLC swings it for me too at this stage, but RB2 may not let you use already purchased DLC, we dont know yet, which could still prove to be a black mark against the franchise! I think its a good shout on the pedal too, its hard to double guess what will be the next big feature though. As long as the guitar isnt modeled on the one we see the characters holding on the front of the Game Informer magazine (which look to me like B.C Rich or similar - ugly guitars) I wont mind. I'm trying to think what other Gibson they could market (if that is the line they're sticking with) and the only ground breaking design I can think of that hasnt been used is the flying-V, which I dont think would work for this game (cant sit down with it thats for sure!) and the firebird is pretty ugly, so theres nothing else eye catching for me. Hence, I'm hoping they dont move to radical designs like the BCRich, but Fender is already taken! Rickenbacker? Not to everyones tastes!

Believe me, to numpties like me, this is as important as the actual content of the games themselves! I need to look the part holding my fake axe!
party0007.gif

..I'm trying to think what other Gibson they could market (if that is the line they're sticking with) and the only ground breaking design I can think of that hasnt been used is the flying-V, which I dont think would work for this game (cant sit down with it thats for sure!) and the firebird is pretty ugly, so theres nothing else eye catching for me...

It is my understanding that there have been a lot of legal disputes with Gibson lately so the next GH guitar can in no way resemble anything Gibson like. So what it will look like is anyone's guess!

Also looks like there is anything rhythm band game on the horizon. Here's Rock Revolution by Konami, which they're saying " will be the most innovative and realistic rock game to hit the market, that will provide a quality drum peripheral and music that players will appreciate...As the originator of music-based games, we are dedicated to bringing fans a truly preeminent music experience. With Rock Revolution, we put the emphasis on the drum kit, delivering an experience unlike any other."

It is my understanding that there have been a lot of legal disputes with Gibson lately so the next GH guitar can in no way resemble anything Gibson like. So what it will look like is anyone's guess!

Also looks like there is anything rhythm band game on the horizon. Here's Rock Revolution by Konami, which they're saying " will be the most innovative and realistic rock game to hit the market, that will provide a quality drum peripheral and music that players will appreciate...As the originator of music-based games, we are dedicated to bringing fans a truly preeminent music experience. With Rock Revolution, we put the emphasis on the drum kit, delivering an experience unlike any other."

Even if the drums are great, the video in that like looks awful! Unless that's completely reworked (which I'm guessing it won't be) I can't see anyone buying it, not when it has RB and GH4 to compete with.

I wonder if we'll get to the point where there'll be so many guitar peripherals floating around that sales of pack-in guitar/game bundles will start to diminish. I don't see a need for a new guitar every year from two different companies. But as they keep improving I'll no doubt keep buying, the fool that I am (GH3 Les Paul > GH2 X-plorer for example).

Also, I don't want this edit-a-song thing, I want content, as others have already mentioned. If there is a means of getting my favourite Evergrey albums into the game via this mechanism, I'm all up for it, but I can't believe it will.

I look forward to new DLC for GH3 but it's so spread out and far between that it's just rubbish compared to Rock Band. Didn't they say that from GH:Aerosmith moving on there'll be regular DLC for GH?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom