Guitar Hero III: Preview (Wireless controllers and more!)

BAN5HEE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Metallica, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin being targeted.
By Patrick Klepek, 04/16/2007

When news about Guitar Hero 3 mistakenly appeared on RedOctane's website last week, you couldn't blame anyone for not exactly flipping out -- we already knew Neversoft has been working on the next version for a little while now. GameSpot recently spoke with RedOctane president Kai Huang, however, and he outright confirmed that Guitar Hero 3 is coming to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and Wii by the end of the year.
"Guitar Hero III is being developed by Neversoft, which is an internal Activision developer. They're one of the best Activision developers, if not one of the best developers in the world, having had a tremendous amount of success with the Tony Hawk franchise, and they've been working on Guitar Hero III now," he said.

Oh, and here's one a little out of left field: there's going to be a Nintendo DS version of Guitar Hero, but won't arrive until early 2008. Somehow we doubt they'll be releasing a guitar for that one. Huang also confirmed all the peripherals released for Guitar Hero 3 will be completely wireless. The Xbox 360 axe for Guitar Hero 2 was supposed to be wireless, but Microsoft reportedly stopped that -- apparently that little roadblock will be removed in time for the fall release.

Other additions to the series come as not-so-surprising, such as the incorporation of online play, more downloadable content, new and expensive deluxe peripherals for the hardcore gamers and some other features they aren't just yet ready to talk about.

What everyone's really concerned about, however, is the music. Huang is tight-lipped about the tracklist, but he does drop a teaser: "We've got a lot of songs and artists still that we would love to have, in particular, we've been trying to get Metallica, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin, so hopefully sometime in the near future, my wish, and everybody's wish, will come true, and we can get some of their music in the game."

I will be picking this one up for sure. They had me at Metallica and AC\DC...

Linkage: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158758

Saw this a few days ago. Tad annoyed about getting a wireless guitar now but at least I'll have a second guitar for multiplayer. GH3 is basically everything GH2 for the 360 should have been with the extra developement time.

Looking forward to it though.

I will be suprised if they get any Zeppelin. They are famously protective over the use of their music - and I think have refused permission for its use in many now seminal films (apart from School of Rock - which is not seminal(!) but if you see the extra's from the film you can see why they agreed to it!)

So where does this leave rock band then?

Surely that would have been a far more worthy successor to the brand, incorporating the whole feel of a real band, as opposed to just the guitar. Will the two run side by side, or will Rock band phase out Guitar Hero eventually?

I must say, owning both games for the PS2, the fact that teh guitar isnt wireless is a real turn off for me buying the x360 version (that plus it doesnt have the awesome tracks from GH1, far better IMHO) but Guitar ero 3 might be worth picking up if all this is promised (the inclusion of Metallica and AC/DC would be unbeliveable, but how about a bit of Iron maidens Phantom of the Opera? I hope AC/DC track would be 'Whole Lotta Rosie', but it'll more likely be Back in Black, or Highway to Hell)

Another important factor to consider for all this would be cost! If GH2 for X360 is retail £65, for a wireless version, you're looking at about another £15-£20 easily, soon we'll be paying £100 for it (with downloads) and that to me is a lot of money! Rock Band would be just as pricey, having a buy 2 guitars, drum set and microphone (keyboard, tamborine, traingle - where will it end?!) plus, where they hell would you keep all this stuff? Its a great idea, but I am slightly worried about the price imlications, as well as the storage of it all. Not to mention if they can pull off a game better than the 1st two (they'll run out of rock classics soon and start giving us rubbish!) :smashin:

I must say, owning both games for the PS2, the fact that teh guitar isnt wireless is a real turn off for me buying the x360 version (that plus it doesnt have the awesome tracks from GH1, far better IMHO)

The wireless guitar wasn't a turn off for me (although it would have been nice to keep things tidy). I am peeved there weren't any of the GH songs though, as you said it has a better track list.

So where does this leave rock band then?

Surely that would have been a far more worthy successor to the brand, incorporating the whole feel of a real band, as opposed to just the guitar. Will the two run side by side, or will Rock band phase out Guitar Hero eventually?

Exactly GH:III will not be made by the same people who made GH 1 & 2 (ie Harmionix) instead it will be made by Neversoft (Tony Hawks Gods!), so the question is can they live up to standard that Harmonix set?

Meanwhile Harmonix are the people behind Rock band so will GH:III be eclipsed by the original creators new baby? What happens if the guitar part of Rock Band is basically what Guitar Hero III is but you can play with other insturments? Where does that leave Guitar Hero? Who knows we will have to wait and see.

All i know is i better be able to use my GH Guitar in rock band :lesson:

EDIT: Oh if anybody can get all those licenses GH has been trying to get it would be MTV so, if all the good music ends up on Rock Band its game over for GH.

I think this nails it on the head that we wont be seeing a multiplayer live patch for gh2.

I think this nails it on the head that we wont be seeing a multiplayer live patch for gh2.

Just what I was thinking, what would be the point if GH3 is out before Christmas?

It does take the gloss off of GH2 though, the exclusive downloadable songs (now priced), new guitar, etc... doesn't really seem as big a deal now they've announced GH3 so soon!

Exactly GH:III will not be made by the same people who made GH 1 & 2 (ie Harmionix) instead it will be made by Neversoft (Tony Hawks Gods!), so the question is can they live up to standard that Harmonix set?

Meanwhile Harmonix are the people behind Rock band so will GH:III be eclipsed by the original creators new baby? What happens if the guitar part of Rock Band is basically what Guitar Hero III is but you can play with other insturments? Where does that leave Guitar Hero? Who knows we will have to wait and see.

All i know is i better be able to use my GH Guitar in rock band :lesson:

EDIT: Oh if anybody can get all those licenses GH has been trying to get it would be MTV so, if all the good music ends on Rock Band its game over for GH.

So Guns, are they still gonna both be red octanes love children, or are they gonna be two completely differnet devs and producers now? i mean, if it is from the same farm, surely the peripherals will work on both copies, but if the two are completely seaprate entities, there will be 100% no chance of a Guitar Hero guitar working with Rock Band!

I'm really not sure what i'd rather go for myself. I love the whole experience of GH and not sure whether I'd want to front the time, effort and cost of Rock Band, but saying that, its gonna be epic, and a game that surely cant be missed!

Too... Many... Choices!!!! :mad:

Sorry for sounding stupid but what is Rock Band?

So Guns, are they still gonna both be red octanes love children, or are they gonna be two completely differnet devs and producers now? i mean, if it is from the same farm, surely the peripherals will work on both copies, but if the two are completely seaprate entities, there will be 100% no chance of a Guitar Hero guitar working with Rock Band!

I'm really not sure what i'd rather go for myself. I love the whole experience of GH and not sure whether I'd want to front the time, effort and cost of Rock Band, but saying that, its gonna be epic, and a game that surely cant be missed!

Too... Many... Choices!!!! :mad:

OK im going to try and explain the whole situation but its way too complicated...

Somebody correct me if i go wrong...

The first two GH games were made by Harmonix (Engine and guts of the game) Red Octane (Music Liscencing and Sound alikes) and Activision (Publisher)

Now Activison have bought Red Octane and Mtv have bought Harmonix.

Still with me?

So you have Harmonix (Guts of GH) and MTV (Music Juggernaut) with EA (Publishing) Making Rock band.

Activision and the newly acquired Red Octane (Published and did all the Music stuff for GH) who have bought in Neversoft (Tony Hawks) to fill in Harmonixs' place (Guts of the game) making GH:III. But in reality the formula has been set they just need to follow it.

I think thats right. :rolleyes:

So to answer your question they are going to be two completely rival products, made independantly of each other.

Who will make the better game? My moneys on MTV/Harmonix.

I hope that makes sense.

OK im going to try and explain the whole situation but its way too complicated...

Somebody correct me if i go wrong...

The first two games were made by Harmonix (Engine and guts of the game) Red Octane (Music Liscencing and Sound alikes) and Activision (Publisher)

Now Activison have bought Red Octane and Mtv have bought Harmonix.

Still with me?

So you have Harmonix (Guts of GH) and MTV (Music Juggernaut) with EA (Publishing) Making Rock band.

Activision and the newly acquired Red Octane (Published and did all the Music stuff for GH) who have bought in Neversoft (Tony Hawks) to fill in Harmonixs' place (Guts of the game) making GH:III. But in reality the formula has been set they just need to follow it.

I think thats right. :rolleyes:

So to answer your question they are going to be two completely rival products, made independantly of each other.

Who will make the better game? My moneys on MTV/Harmonix.

I hope that makes sense.

Well seeing as all Red octane did was copy music i dont think they have what makes Guitar hero great. Rock band on the other hand has MTV which lets them use the actual songs and not recordings. and Harmonix adding the guitar hero spirit in the gameplay. My money is on rock band being the better game as it has all the elements that made GH such a great game.

MTV would not have the "right" to allow any company to use music, that would be down to the artist and or record company.

MTV would not have the "right" to allow any company to use music, that would be down to the artist and or record company.

Indeed. However if EA and MTV dont have the influence and/or money to obtain the licenses who does?

I assumed that Live Mutliplayer for GHII would be a given considering that the Guitar has port ready for the headset connection at the bottom end.

It was said in the press announcement that it will have actual tracks and not covers.

Indeed. However if EA and MTV dont have the influence and/or money to obtain the licenses who does?

It is not always about the money though. Bands like led Zepp do not need the money and are very funny about licencing their songs. If artists own the right to their songs - like Bowie does, it is he (or his management) that make the decision not a record company!

Very True! and thanks for the expo Guns, I gots it now! (funnily, on the link you posted, i'm the 4th poster!! :D )

It does look amazing, but then the future of GH doesnt look to good. Its all gonna come down to who has the best songs at the end of the day, but the price is gonna be a huuuuuuuuge facor in decision making! I mean, since its gonna be a rival franchise, theres no way GH will work with RB, so it means one set of peripherals for one game, and another, very expensive set, for the other! This whole thing is getting me very worried, especially as i've just gone 'next gen' which has automatically added about £10 more onto the prices of my games already!

If both are gonna be 'must have's', then the choice is giong to be so hard to make! I guess I'll just wait and see after they are released which one is the strongest in the market and judge it by reviews, not hype! Oh yeah, and price! :thumbsup:

It was said in the press announcement that it will have actual tracks and not covers.

Same still applies. MTV do not own the rights to any songs, they just have a licence to play them and pay a royalty fee for doing so. If you check your music CD's they say something like "the contents of this CD remain the property of XXXXXX (either record compnay or band).

It is not always about the money though. Bands like led Zepp do not need the money and are very funny about licencing their songs. If artists own the right to their songs - like Bowie does, it is he (or his management) that make the decision not a record company!

Very true, this is, im guessing why we havent seen any of Metallica's music in the GH games, we know how they feel about digital distribution :rolleyes: .

Heres where im hoping MTV will influence things. We can only hope as having bands like LZ and Metallica would be awesome!

Very true, this is, im guessing why we havent seen any of Metallica's music in the GH games, we know how they feel about digital distribution :rolleyes: .

Heres where im hoping MTV will influence things. We can only hope as having bands like LZ and Metallica would be awesome!

I'm with ya mate! Rocking out to One or Kashmir would be awsome! Not sure how much MTV could influence things, but here's hoping!

Why has this been anounced so soon?

Talk about taking the shine off a new product.

This indicates no new enhancments for GH II, no wireless guitar, no XboxLive play.

Just churning out old GH1 songs for extortionate prices.

I was gonna return my GH II as it's causing screen burn on my plasma, i think i may aswell return it now.

I feel like i've bought a rushed out money making product.

May as well wait and just get this now - seems pointless spending £60 on GH2 when GH3 is out with a wireless guitar before the end of the year. I'll just make do with GH1 on the PS2 until then.

May as well wait and just get this now - seems pointless spending £60 on GH2 when GH3 is out with a wireless guitar before the end of the year. I'll just make do with GH1 on the PS2 until then.

Do remember people that the meat and two veg of guitar hero 1&2 has moved away from guitar hero 3. all you are left with is the sprouts (music makers).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom