Guitar Amp as an amplified Subwoofer?

Amarante

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
I got a large Guitar Amp that got massive bass...
Now , for my Yamaha RX-V650 I need an amplified sub, and I thought, hey, the guitar amp can handle a lot and got load of buttons to play with :) See picture ...
Can I use it as a subwoofer?
I got all the surround speakers but just need an amplified amp to be good :)
The connections on the subs are long jacks, is it possible to make a connection on both ends?
At the moment I am using a Philiips DVD player/ Amplifer and the use of a sub is defenitly a great improvement and I would like to use my Yamaha with a good sub :)
Happy weekend to all :)

Attachments

• SNC12185.jpg
    SNC12185.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 96
You can certainly make the connection. All you need is an RCA to jack adaptor and a standard sub lead.

As to whether it'll work and be safe, I don't see why not. Even better than a standard input, would be a mono line input. I can't read the labels in your photo - does it have this?
In the amp's manual, does it say anything about using it for keyboards? Keyboards would have a closer output to your AVR than a guitar. You'd certainly want to start with the gain pretty low.

But the question of whether it'll be any good is another matter. Guitar amps are designed to safely distort, while hi-fi gear is designed to give constant gain and clean output. In other words, hi-fi manufacturers will be aiming for an accurate an output signal as possible, relative to the input signal. Guitar amp designers may intentionally colour the sound. And even with the amp's bass/mid/treble controls set to half-way, don't necessarily expect the EQ curve to be flat.
Worth a try though.

Thank you for the switf reply :)
Here are more pictures of the amp / buttons and connections. They are more at the bak? Might be direct?
Thank you about the RCA adaptor. :)
I don't know what omhs the amp is tho?

Attachments

• SNC12186.jpg
    SNC12186.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 80
  • SNC12187.jpg
    SNC12187.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 80
  • SNC12188.jpg
    SNC12188.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 70
  • SNC12189.jpg
    SNC12189.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 64
  • SNC12190.jpg
    SNC12190.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 73
I wouldn't expect it to go desperately deep either.

I think that the 'speakers' ports on the back will be input and outputs at the point between the internal amplifier and the (passive) speakers. So that's no good to you.

What do the other two do though? Is either one of them an input?

Cheers all.
For the above I have no idea what the connections are nor do :(
This was find and just needed a wee clean but all work well, with a guitar.
As AudioEnthousiast said, I think a mono connection would be better, I have find a mono rca/ small jack cable, I also got somewhere a large jack adaptor, but its stereo, then not sure where we'll go fro a mono jack to a stereo jack and this connected to a stereo jack? Just thinking while typing, this must be why I got 2 speakers on the amp... Be good if I got a mono switch somewhere.
To Wilseus, The bass are really deep , with a guitar tho ;)

Doing a bit of maths, the lowest E string on a guitar is around 73Hz. I wouldn't expect the rolloff to be that much lower than this.
The ideal home cinema subwoofer goes down to 20Hz or even less.
Bass drums etc. produce much lower frequencies than a guitar.

As for the cable, a standard sub lead is a mono RCA. Then the adaptor I linked on the end of it. That's the best way of making this connection.

But are you saying that you have a 3.5mm jack to 2 x RCA? And an adapter for 3.5mm stereo to 1/4" stereo?
If you have, then you can use this pairing.

For ideal use, you want the tip of the jack to link to the tip of the RCA, and the sleeve of the jack to link to the sleeve of the RCA.
In your case, the sleeve of the jack is split into a ring and a sleeve.
The jack tip connects to the left RCA tip.
The jack ring connects to the right RCA tip.
The jack ring connects to both RCA sleeves.
So if you use the left RCA, and make sure that no part of the right RCA touches anything then you're fine. The tip operates as normal. Then everything in the ring or sleeve either does the normal thing or has no connection.

Cheers :)
I got this as pictured. A mono jack to an rac.
Small cable tho....
Then somewhere I have a large jack adaptor, this is for the headphone, and its stereo.
That will fit into the Amp.
I have been looking for a awhile to no avail tho :(

Attachments

• SNC12191.jpg
    SNC12191.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 201

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom