1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guild Wars - Anyone playing it?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by russraff, May 7, 2005.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well, I decided to buy my first online RPG, Guild Wars, and I am a little lost, both in the game, and the point of it. The game looks really good, smooth scrolling and all that, but the place just seems full of folk standing about with messages like "Joe Bloggs smirks" or "Joane Baggins dances". Ask if thry want to go on a quest and either nothing happens or you are told to get more levels or something.
    Is it just me, or are these games only worth it if you and at least five mates have all the game, the PC to run it, the ADSL connection and the time to play? I hope not as the premise and aims of the game look good and from a solo perspective things seem allright - if a bit "empty" of content.

Russell

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    I do not know what guild wars is like but I play World of Warcraft and you can play it on your own or team up for quest if they are too hard and I often get asked to join a team.
    I only had one bit of trouble when a newbie who thought they knew better, than me who had been playing for weeks. And they kept running into fights without regenerating their health, mana or recasting there demon, and ran round like a demented headless chicken, rather than me a higher level character take all the damage up close and them using magic at a distance.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    Guild Wars is supposed to be an awesome game, I was going to post up and ask if anyone was playing it..... not that I have the ability to as I just spent all my money on a snowboard and am about to head up into the mountains :)

I played the demo weekends and it seemed really cool, a lot better than any other MMORPG I have played recently, plays really like Diablo.

If you have gone the RPG route then I would suggest you solo for a while, people playing these type of games usually solo for say the first 10 or so levels or about a week or two of average playing. You need to learn the ropes a bit before you want to start joining groups.

A problem with the UK market is that MMORPGs still haven't really picked up over here and a lot of the time, you will be with Europeans (hard to speak all the languages, they tend to stick to their own groups) or Americans (impossible to keep up with timezones). At least that was my experience with Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online, EVE and a few others.

The best way is just to play the game and slowly you will make friends if you are polite, also to become part of a good guild or community you usually have to sacrifice some time out of game to participate on boards and the like. Find a couple of main community hubs for the game and use that to search for players on the same timezone or aims.

If you get people being rude or annoying use the mute functions in the game to ignore them. These games are uncannily similar to real life and like moving home :p it will take a while to find a group of people you enjoy playing with, just try not to get too upset if people act weird there are a lot of weirdos playing them :p

You will find that regardless of what you want to do, you may have to spend some time sitting around and emoting. I quite often just used to sit around and do nothing much, just joking and being stupid. The games are a lot like a glorified chat zone.

Really my top advice would be to go research the game on some community sites, start with the main site, http://www.guildwars.com/community/default.html#forums have a look around some of these forums, the GW Europe forums seem to have good activity. Just post on a few that you are looking for a guild or group and someone will soon get back to you I should imagine.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I started playing it yesterday and i'm quite enjoying it. I have been playing solo though but hope to join up with a party with some guys who are in my cs clan. The game is very enjoyable just playing solo at the moment and there's plenty to do. I have just reached 7th level and have just been moved on to two years ahead (as the story unfolds). I think the initial 1-6 levels are an introduction to the game and to learn how it all works. I'm hoping it gets a bit more complex and becomes even more enjoyable when playing with others as this always tends to add a whole new dimension to any game I've played.
    I notice the guys over at OcUK are getting a guild together I might have to take a look later:-

http://www.guildwars.com/gameinfo/professions/default.html

My game character is called Elizium Fields and I'm a 7th level Elemental/Nacromancer add me to your freinds list and we can go on an expedition some time :D

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Everyone seems to be an Elementalist (I'm just a lvl 4 one called Two Rivers). I may choose a different character so that I can provide some other uses. I was going to be an elementalist/monk.
    I think that I will get a different character sorted first, before going at this thing for real. Keep that invite open, though...

Russell

6. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Remind me to get this game, as Guild Wars has no subscription fees :).

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I picked this up yesterday and installed it - looking forward to a play later or tomorrow. Not done any of this online gaming so should be interesting.

I've gone for a Necromancer - it looks nicely gothic and not goody-goody :)

So if you see a Necromancer with my name (Sad Muppet - obviously) - try not to kill me :)

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    A handy tip: Do all the quests you can during the first part of the game. I am an elementalist/monk at lvl7 and after you agree to go through the walls (the primary quest) the game gets a lot harder. Mine is called Two Rivers - a bit geeky but I couldn't think of anything better.

Russell

9. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Am quite enjoying it - currently a level 6 Necromancer/Mesmer (thought I'd go for different).

Haven't had ANY interaction with the online community, as you said Russ, they just kinda stand there like proverbial lemons.......

Still haven't gone for the wall - don't think I'm QUITE powerful enough yet. Couple more levels and we'll be getting there!

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I think there was some update or something that made the pre-wall bit more interesting or something. I am a lvl7 character and I am nowhere near tough enough to withstand some of the stuff after you accept the primary mission.

Strangely, I think the game goes downhill rapidly after you get past the wall. The whole thing looks worse and it all seems to be "fed-ex" missions. I will give it another few goes, but there is very little substance to the whole thing, even when I have played with other online party members.

Russell

11. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I've noticed that 2 missions, so far, before the wall actually require 2 or more persons! So it sort of encourages people to team up anyway. Definitely is an intro (I guess) to online gaming, but if it weren't for all the continued fees (in other games), I think online gaming would be better (I pay enough for the connection!)