1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GuidePlus Updates Via Sky On Philips DVD Recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robert.hunter, Jan 8, 2005.

1. robert.hunter

robert.hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a Philips DVDR725 which performs very well off aerial and Sky feeds. A friend is considering purchasing the same machine (or an HDRW720) but he has a very poor aerial signal and this cannot be improved. He does, however, also have a Sky digibox.

Although Eurosport is cited as a source of Guideplus updates, the manual does not explain if it can be set as default.

Can anyone please advise if the Philips machines can be set to update automatically from Sky? If so, how?

Thank you.

2. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Robert,

As far as I am aware, the HDRW720 defaults to ITV for its updates but if it is unable to get them and you have set it up to control a SKY box, it will then try the Eurosport channel for them (at least thats what it implies fromt the manual).

It definitely says you can get updates from SKY if you have no terrestrial connection, so I would tell your friend not to worry.

I've had no problems with the HDRW720 so far, but if your friend has Sky then he'd be much better off getting SKY + and a standalone recorder (I can only get NTL) - its cheaper and better (you can watch one program while recording another for instance).

3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right, but i know what he means - whilst you need to set channel numbers, there's no where to set 'host' channel, so how will it know where to look? - this puzzeled me

Maybe it scans for signal - Guideplus do say it will automatically switch to host channel whilst in standy-by

If in doubt, you can always switch it to Eurosport before it goes into stand-by