Guideplus problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brian mcsweeney, Oct 30, 2005.

1. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Had a Philips Hdrw720 for a couple of weeks and everything works fine apart from the Guideplus. Initially it worked like a dream, data downloaded overnight and I had about five days worth of listings.
    Now I'm lucky to get one day worth of listings (even when I've kept the machine on standby and tuned to ITV overnight)
    Even when I get the info, when I click on a programme to record it all I'm getting is the symbol for the channel but no programme details, despite the fact the Guideplus system showing the details when I highlight the programme.
    I'm on NTL Langley, but can get an ITV and teletext signal. Would I be better tuning in on Eurosport?
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. BrianF

BrianF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am also having Guide Plus+ problems on a Pioneer box but I understand the EPG is only carried on Eurosport (410). However, logically, the DVR should wake up the Digibox and tune to 410 automatically (so long as both are in stand-by mode overnight).

3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was having similar problems for last 2 weeks but mines seems alright now - i put it down to me recording Survival ITV3 @ 6:00am & 7:00 am daily - i figured it might be interupting the download so i deleted the 6:00 am recording

also consider that only the main channels (by Guide+ definition) get a full 7 day listing - minor channels only get 2 day listing - i'm anticipating a full 48 day listing when the Gemstar (Guide+)/Radio Times web site partnership materialises

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    The EPG is supposed also to be broadcast on an Analog channel (ITV1 IIRC).

5. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SO when does the ITV Guideplus download actually happen? Is it at 3am, or 4am or do you have to put the system on standby all night? I'm at work during the day so if I put the machine onto ITV and standby will it download the guide during the day?

6. brian mcsweeney

brian mcsweeney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also has anyone got a support email contact for Guideplus? And Jethro when is this much anticipated Radio Times/Guideplus thing ever gonna get off the ground? It does sound really interesting.

7. BrianF

BrianF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You are correct. I forgot because I am on the continent and can only get the satellite transmissions.

8. BrianF

BrianF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    According to the Guide Plus+ web site, it is between 3am and 4am. However, I am still not sure if you have to leave the Digibox on after the first download or if the DVR switches it on automatically via G-Link and tunes it to the download channel. It seems logical that it would do that once it has the download source logged. If you had to remember to leave it on overnight once a week that would be a real pain.

9. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eurosport only downloads updates in the early hours

ITV updates guide+ from the teletext stream all the time you're tuned to ITV (even if you're recording from it) - day and night, whether the unit is on/off

Dunno when Gemstar/RadioTimes thing will happen - contracts were signed back in May sometime - what can i say - what this space - it will be worth the wait

10. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Pioneer 530 goes into EPG download at 14:00 - 16:00, 19:00 - 21:00 and 03:00 - 05:00.

If you are downloading from ITV there is no need to have ITV selected, my machine is always set to external (L1).

If you want to download from Eurosport the sat box must be on and tuned to the correct channel.

It's all in the manual.

11. BrianF

BrianF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    According to the Pioneer Belgium support desk, if the download is ITV analogue via the antenna (in the UK) or permanently-on cable, the DVR will wake itself up at 3am and update the programme/channel listings. It will do the same thing at 6:30am and at 3:30pm.
    If you have satellite only, Eurosport (410) is the download channel. The DVR does not have the abilty to switch the Digibox on via G-Link (Why not?) but can change channels. So, you do have to leave the Digibox on overnight, at least once a week so that the DVR can wake up, change to 410 and run the lastest download.
    It seems amazing to me that the DVR-530H-S, for example, does not have the ability to send the wake-up code to the Digibox but the excuse given is that the cost of leasing the code is too high (duh!).

12. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 530 can indeed turn on a Sky box or freeview box, at least mine can. However this is not reliable. Because of the time taken for the Digibox to initialise it may miss the channel change codes being sent and end up recording the wrong channel.

In any case the recorder is unable to return an external box to standby when it has finished with it so you might as well leave it on.

Refer to page 29 in the manual. An external receiver must be left on the correct channel to download data - it will NOT change channel for EPG download.

13. BrianF

BrianF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Does this mean that your satbox will be on continuously if you go on holiday leaving the DVR to record say all episodes of Eastenders in your absence?
    The technical capability is evidenly there for the DVR to turn the satbox on for timer recordings so why does it not do that for the GP+ downloads. In the same way, it is only a matter of sending the appropriate code via G-Link to turn the satbox off when recording is finished.
    The same applies to the question of turning the satbox on and then leaving an adequate delay before sending the channel-change code.
    Perhaps the GP+ people have their reasons for not completing the process but it is not yet clear to me.

14. nadeem

nadeem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Where do you connect the g-link cable to a sky digital box, i have the Thomson Make,

15. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does

You other questions about jobs left incomplete (there's millions of them) is as a result of technology - every time a 'new feature' is released, it opens the door for 100's of other applications, each one opening a 100 more - why they don't exploit all these avenues is because they simply don't have time/inclination or often not viable to persue - priority being to release the technology as soon as possible - they do know about these 'open doors' and somethimes they must wonder whether it's better not to release technology at all and keep them tightly shut - course one of the big benefits of new technology is the 'firmware upgrade', which gives them an excuse to release asap and an avenue to plug the holes as and when they appear

so to answer your question more directly - it could happen any day soon - but dont hold your breathe :)

16. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yes I agree with your findings. My 530 seems to be downloading at any time of the day when on Standby but in reality is only doing so during those periods you've listed.

If I need to use the recorder then I switch it off Standby knowing that downloading will continue later when I'm not using it i.e during the early hours of the morning.
    To date I've had no trouble with the Guideplus+ system.

:hiya:

17. nadeem

nadeem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Pioneer DVR530 on standby for 36hrs, still the guide plus hasnt downloaded any tv listings, my grid is 99% empty after the machine doing the following,

1/ first download (03:00am) channel lineup downloaded, few channels with some listings.
    2/ Second download (13:58) downloaded something, everything looks the same,
    3/ Third download (03:00am) few channels with some listings have all disappeared,
    I know for a fact that the setup is correct, as its got all the channel line up, but not receiving the channel listings.
    Anyone know what might be the problem or does it need a few more downloads,
    Next download is starting (13:58) today, (410 eurostports) any ideas why im having problems.?

18. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Did you input your correct postal code when intially setting up Guideplus+? Why not check 'set up' and see whether it is correct.

19. nadeem

nadeem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yeah my setup is correct,
    Postcode all ok,
    BSKYB box selected , Guide+ can change the channel perfectly.
    I leave sky on eurosports 410 channel and pioneer on standby, starts downloading as recorder shows EGP.
    I know the connections are ok as the channel line up has appeared but no listings after 36hrs.
    i'll try ITV from terrestial.

20. BrianF

BrianF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I had exactly the same experience. See my detailed answer to you under the thread "Guide Plus+ 3 times per day?".

21. nadeem

nadeem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i look on saturday i have some listing on all the bbc channels
    i think its populating ,
    Next download is 3am,
    taking alot of time after 36hrs on standby.
    A few more downloads should solve i think

22. nadeem

nadeem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question,
    In the guide+ plus system information, It got my postcode last/next download external box. But the Host channel says Tuner/-/- something like that.
    Shouldnt that be Eurosports. As i only use that? My Terrestrial signal is poor do you think its downloading from their and because the signal is bad the download is very slow. AnyIdeas?
    I've taken the Ariel Cable out so i hope it uses sky eurosports.
    Sorry for being a pest guys.

23. nealjane

nealjane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    back on topic....
    mines been doing the same with the guideplus programme schedule -

'Even when I get the info, when I click on a programme to record it all I'm getting is the symbol for the channel but no programme details, despite the fact the Guideplus system showing the details when I highlight the programme.'

.......but I thought it was sorted after switching the 720 off & on the other night, but it's been doing it again for the past 2 days, (off/on doesn't appear to do anything this time)

ive also noticed by programme guide has also reduced on the smaller channels to 2 days worth od schedules (im certain it had more than the 2 days to begin with!)

24. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You do not connect the cable to the Sky box. You place it near the IR receiver. Position will depend on version of the box.