GuidePlus and Sky+ problems with Pioneers 920H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nobbo, Apr 1, 2005.

1. nobbo

nobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone managed to get this to work? There seems to be a clash between both EPG's and my TV will routinely switch Sky channels, at odd times, with no human intervention. Is this related to the Glink connection between the Pioneer and Sky boxes? Manythanks for any input

2. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Nobbo. Thinking of getting a Pioneer 920 myself. What are your impressions of the machine ?? Do you use the HDMI connection ?? I will be looking to use with SKY + so will be interesting to see if anyone else is having the same problems. Lack of DL compatibility is slightly off putting tho :(

3. nobbo

nobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - I'm using the HDMI direct to the plasma and the pictures are pretty good. The rest of the 920 package - simplicity of menus/operation etc - is really excellent. I bought it from Sevenoaks who, nice chaps that they are, seem at a loss to understand whats going on between the units.

4. tills

tills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine changes over to eurosport once or twice a day, i presume it is to download
    future EPG guide information. It never does when recording thank god.

5. nobbo

nobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its not too much hassle can you confirm that you are using the G-LINK cable to conect to Sky + and where you have position the IR reader "bubble" on the Sky box?

Many thanks

6. tills

tills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry nobbo but i am not using sky+, but i am using the G-LINK cable.
    Are u finding that the 920 is turning over to eurosport only or different channels
    each time. Just to let u know that for the 1st week i only set it up to watch a couple
    of DVDs and it did not suffer from the changing channels (i know this because i was watching sky through the 920) ......only once i had left the machine on eurosport to download EPG guide overnight did it then start to turn to channels on its own.

7. FIJ

FIJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 920 for 1 week and using it with pioneer plasma 435xde.

Picture and sound wise it is great. I purchased this in favour of denon and arcam due to the recording capabilities and match to plasma.

Still a learning picture adjustments for sky picture. Improvements easily possible but too many settings possible and not a lot of info. here as yet.

EPG download has not worked yet - still trying to figure this out. Not sure if it is the DVD player or the sky box.

Will let you know again shortly.

No automatic unwanted channel changes yet.

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EPG 'should' populate automatically by switching itsself to the host channel (ITV on internal tuner or Eurosport on External), but in practise it doesn't always work, so you might find you have to manually set the tuner to the host channel before it will populate.

if you have ITV on internal analogue tuner it's ideal

if you only have external digi-box then the EPG relies on analogue teletext stream (check it has one) - if not you should be able to use R/F output (via std coax)

9. FIJ

FIJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for info.

EPG download was successful in the end.

Just that the first time it needs to be left in stand-by for quite a long time. Eurosport carries the information.

I have encountered the channel switching issue a couple of times now. Not sure what causes it but it is not a problem as such.

Sky picture quality can frustrate. I have the 920 feeding a 435xde. Excellent on good channels like the movie channels but sky can be terrible on other channels.

DVD is excellent. Audio is very good.

Recording is excellent. Most of the good sky channels are protected though like all the movie channels. Again frustrating when all you want to do is record it to watch later!

I don't suppose there is a way around this?

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    That's always going to be the case on a high qaulity screen such as the Pioneer plasma you own. Investing in a scaler might make things look nicer. Have a chat with the people on the plasma forum for further advice on that.

Yes there is but we are not allowed to talk about them on the forum. A Google search for a copy protection removing scart will reveal answers...

11. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry chaps, can I ask which version Sky+ box you are using (Version 1 or 2) and which Eurosport channel you are getting the download information from (Eurosport UK or Eurosport 2 UK)?