1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guidelines for combining speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Greyhound, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise me on the best way to match speakers for a home cinema set up please?

My understanding is that the front lef, front right and centre should match tonally and ideally all three should be the same.

The rear left and rear right should be the same as each other but do not have to tonally match the front set of speakers.

The sub can be anything but better to choose an active one as it takes the load off the amp.

Am I right in my understanding and where would a rear centre fit into this? Does it need to match the two rear speakers?

Thanks

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally all speakers should be identical or come from the same range. 2nd best is to have front three speakers identical/from same range and rear 3/4 identical/from same range, but front speakers and rear speakers can be from different ranges/brands although it helps if they're matched tonally.

Most if not all subs are active if bought separately, it takes a lot of power to get a sub cone moving which is why they use their own internal amplification (active) rather than let the HC Receiver unit do it (passive).