Guide +

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tobyjuggler, Nov 5, 2004.

1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know a few of the Phillips DVD recorders use Guide +, but does anybody know which other manufacturers make use of it in their DVD recorders? What I'm looking for is a DVD/HDD recorder that uses something like Guide + and can control my Sky box. Any suggestions?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Only Philips have adopted it in the UK (Sony, Panasonic and others support it in the US). As you have probably read in other recent threads the UK Guideplus lacks sufficient bandwidth to be able to respond to programming changes - and a EPG that doesn't record what you want isn't that much use.

There is nothing on the immediate horizon. A few DVD recorders will appear next year with EPGs that download from the internet (Panasonic and possible Toshiba). And EPGs will be common place from next year for Freeview. For Sky recording your best bet is to get Sky+ - there is unlikely to be anything that will beat that anytime soon.

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to make do without Guide +. Now to decide on a brand and other features....