Guide: Setting up FFDShow in Win7

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Daveybryce, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    BEFORE COMMENCING WITH THIS GUIDE, IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PC STOPS FUNCTIONING AS NORMAL

OK, over with the formalities, now lets get down to business:thumbsup:

FFDShow is an excellent Decoder for Video formats, Audio formats and now incorporates DXVA 1.0 & 2.0 decoding for h264 & VC-1 formats and copes with subtitles in WMP & MCE

What I aim to do in this guide is to help setup what you might need to get your codecs working right, add post processing filters, resizing your movies to fill your screen. Also how to turn any 2.0 mp3 audio stream into full Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) output.

If you require HD audio setting up, then See Wolvers Guide to HDAudio Bitstreaming in MKV to allow native play of HD audio in WMP and MCE (without the requirement for MPC-HC to run as an external player).

So Firstly, you will need to download latest SVN build of FFDShow - Available Here. If you are on an x86 (32bit) setup then select the "sse icl11" build. On both x86 & x64 bit you will then go to a warning screen saying that these are not official releases would you like to continue. Select the "I agree" Radio Button and click "Continue".

Once downloaded Install FFDShow - Note - it is NOT important to ensure that you select the correct options when prompted by the installer as we will change them later in the various configurators FFDShow offers from the Start menu. So Just do the usual and keep clicking next until the program has installed.

On the Last Screen of Installation, you will need to select the following configurations, as in screen shot below.

[​IMG]

Lets select the Video Decoder Config first. I've highlighted and annotated the images with notes on the left.

Video Codec Filters

Please note that if you are having issues with DXVA decoding then you can disable the highlighted h264/AVC decoder to allow for DXVA to take over but you will lose FFDShow's Video decoder for AVC streams (which means no subtitles for those AVC streams)

[​IMG]

Resizing your movies

[​IMG]

Post Processing Filter

[​IMG]

Subtitles - You can have subtitles selected in both DXVA and Video Decoder Configs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally Sharpening your movie picture

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    DXVA Decoder Configuration

There really isn't a lot to this new feature at the moment however these areas will be of interest

Setting the merit of the DXVA Decoder

[​IMG]

DXVA decoder selection - note post processing is required for subtitles to be enabled.

[​IMG]

Subtitles using DXVA Decoder If you have either h264 and/or VC-1 ticked then the subtitles for which ever codec is ticked will use the DXVA Decoder. You can have subtitles ticked for both DXVA and Video Decoder Configs.

[​IMG]

3. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Audio config

Now this is probably one of the most easiest things to set up, but can also cause a lot of issues if not set up correctly. So just take things one step at a time and test all types of media after you make a change before moving onto a new tweak or changing a codec. This way you will know what you've just changed and be able to revert back.

Audio Codecs

[​IMG]

Multiply Instances of FFDShow's Audio Decoder

[​IMG]

Outputs - I would be careful on this section as you can break audio streams depending on what hardware you are using.

[​IMG]

Mixer - If you are receiving dts/ac3 streams but are connected to TV then set your speaker setup to 2.0 Stereo, this will ensure that everything is downmixed to 2 Ch stereo and should allow you to play all types of audio streams including HD audio streams.

[​IMG]

4. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    DirectShow FilterTweaker Tool

Download from here Install and run.

Before tweaking these settings.....

ENSURE YOU CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT

Again instructions are down the left hand side. Click Apply to move to the next page

Page 1 of the Tweaker Tool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Page 2 of the Tweaker Tool

[​IMG]

Finally, Page 3 of the Tweaker Tool

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  5. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
  6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    For MKV rips from blurays, would you suggest this will produce a better picture in MPC-HC than the standard MPC decoder?

7. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Hi UrbanT,

TBH I really couldn't tell you, I use both FFDShow and MPC-HC, the post processing properties and sharpen filters are ideally useful for lower bitrate avi's, divx and xvid videos, it tends to clear them up quite a bit.

If you have Bluray then they should be at an amazing quality anyway and I don't think you will benefit at all from adding post processing to HD material.

8. londong

londong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ill grab this spot so I can be the first to thank you

:thumbsup:

your instructions are very clear and informative :smashin:

I have downloaded the FFDshow and followed the Video decoder section....anticipating the DXVA now

great, DXVA was easy enough, but do I disable the subtitles on the video decoder settings or is it OK to have the tick in both windows?

9. londong

londong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I had haali splitter from before, im not sure whether to uninstall that...

also Im not sure if 7MC/Mediabrowser is actually using ffdshow as there are still no subtitles on the few avi's I just tried and there are no icons in the system tray either apart from haali on one or two vids.... :suicide:

10. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Cheers for the kinds words. As for subs on both - you raise a good concern there and I have updated the guide to reflect this. However yes you can have both enabled in either config.

I think that this is where I will need to add the filtertweaker tool config and explain a little about what it does. I think you need to set your registry with the tool so that FFDShow loads for your avi's, and other movie formats.

I'm gonna to the audio config now and then onto the filtertweaker tool:smashin:

11. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Fantastic walkthrough Daveybryce :smashin:, I can finally watch District 9 now as you miss a fair bit of the story if you don't speak 'Prawn!'

12. Puntoboy

Puntoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks Davey :) Been a great help.

One thing I've noticed when watching some of my films every so often there is a loud noising and the sound crackles when you here something loud like an explosion during the film. Any ideas? (this was on my old Win7 RC install. I haven't had chance to test this since rebuilding my PC.)

13. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Gotta love those blodee prorns lol. Try watching Apocolypto without subs - now that would be impressive if you could understand that movie without subs. lol.

To me that sounds like clipping from your speakers rather than your HTPC setup. More of a hardware issue. I would just check all your connections and also ensure that your speakers aren't in reverse polarity i.e. that your pos line goes to pos at both receiver and speaker and same with neg line.

14. londong

londong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again DB

what audio settings are you using in your bedroom with the tv's inbuilt 2.0 speakers receiving via hdmi from the htpc (ie no amp or surround)?

hehe this is like a puzzle, waiting for each clue bit by bit until I find the holy grail of srt with dxva on an ion system via 7mc & MB :rotfl::rotfl:

eagerly awaiting the filtertweaking :devil:

15. londong

londong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok followed the last step after creating a system restore

however i attach a screenshot as mine is slightly different from your screenshots

subtitles on low res avi's and mkvs seem to be working now which is great!!

but there is now no sound for any HD movies at all, even mp4s with aac now have no sound

I notice that there is a red ffdshow icon as well as the white haali icon in the systray now

lastlyeverything is now going really really slowly, and the HD mkvs are very choppy and cpu usage is maxed out so Im not sure the DXVA is working as it should

I followed your guide to a T, what am I missing?

Im so sorry for all this, I know you spent ages getting your system up and running but I am really shooting in the dark with all this

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Ok I think I've found the issue.

The fact you have a red FFDShow Icon tells me that just the normal FFDshow Video decoder is being used. If you hover your mouse over the red icon, can you tell me the input (I probably think it is WVC1) If so go into the FFDShow Video config and disable the codec that is WVC1. Relaunch your media and you should get an orange FFDShow Icon now which says that DXVA decoder is working.

The sound issue is an odd one. Do you see the blue FFDShow Icon, if so hover over it and see what the inputs/outputs are and let me know.

Do you have have your outputs screen of the FFDShow Audio config, like mine. If so this where you've gone wrong. IIRC you are connected direct to TV. You shouldn't have anything passing thru SPDIF/HDMI as your TV can't decode it, also you don't want AC3 Encode enabled.

Have you got Graphstudio. Can you throw up a screen shot of what is being used to decode one of your movie files.

17. wolvers

wolvers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    So DXVA is working with subs now then? :lease:

18. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
  19. londong

londong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DB thanks once again genius

so for the audio to work in my 2.0 TV speakers vis HDMI I removed all the ticks in the pass-through (SPDIF, HDMI) and also the tick in the AC3 (SPDIF encode mode) and voila the blu box appears on the videos now and sound works!! :clap::clap:

I couldnt get graphstudio to show anything (let me know how this works) but I took a screenshot of an offending moviefile and saw that the red ffdshow icon said "ffdshow video decoder / Input: AVC1 (ffmpeg-mt h264)/ Output:YV12.adj"

so almost as you instructed (you said WVC1) I went back to the ffdshow video decoder config, changed the first entry in the codec section for "h.264/AVC" to disabled. Lo and behold the next time I played the movie the orange DXVA icon was showing!! Screenshot of low CPU usage attached :clap::clap:

now tell me your address so I can send over a crate of beer

Now the final thing is that subtitles are working on all my lowres avis even my higher res mp4s but not on the mkvs (they are also in he same folder named movie1.mkv and movie1.srt)...tell me where Im going wrong and Ill send over 2 crates :devil:

Attached Files:

20. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Excellent glad we're almost there. Just a thanks and thread vote (if you think its good/bad or mediocre of course) will do me.

I probably recon that you have not enabled subtitles in the DXVA config, but in FFDShow Video config.

Failing that try these options

[​IMG]

21. londong

londong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GOT IT!!!!

grasshopper must be learning from the masters

have to change the post processing section to surface overlay in the DXVA section

:smashin:

Attached Files:

22. londong

londong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hahaha it never ends

im back with another conundrum :hiya:

so, now we can play mkvs, mp4s, avis with external subtitles butI have some MKV files which also contain subtitles as well as audio and video tracks (screenie attached)

our set up doesnt seem to play those...

Attached Files:

23. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Sorry I posted up the wrong picture in my earlier post

You should enable "allow embedded subs" option as shown below.

[​IMG]

24. londong

londong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks but I have that embedded subtitle option selected...it seems that these partiular files are not using FFDShow at all but only haali as only the white haali and blue audio ffd icon shows, see screenshot above

25. wolvers

wolvers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Copy that. I'll test asap.

Another smashing guide bud, thanks. :thumbsup:

26. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    can anyone confirm that ac3 audio streams work in a avi container with FFDShow as i have never been able to get them to play since using the newer builds.. So i use the MS decoder and FFDShow combo still within 7mc..

27. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Yes I've had avi with AC3 streams playing before in 7MC & WMP12. Now I encode everything to AC3.

@ wolvers :rotfl:

28. roba666

roba666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just done this but get I get no ffd icons at all showing up, how do I register them?

thanks

R

29. Daveybryce

Daveybryce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    Hi roba,

can I ask....

what OS you are running,
    what type of file(s) you are trying to play,
    what your setup is including AV Rec and how you are connected (HDMI etc)
    What other codec packs you may have installed
    and any other info you think might be useful

30. roba666

roba666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi DB

I've built my first set up running Win7 32bit and trying to play various makeMKV blu ray rips with varying degrees of success. Can get great picture and DTS/DD sound but having issues with DTS HD, True HD and now PCM.

Using an Antec 1480 case, LG Blu drive, an i3-530 processor combined with an ASUS P7H55D-M EVO which I thought would bitstream great but I got a bit fed when I couldn't get things to work so I added a Sapphire 5450 card too.

Got this linked by hdmi to my Denon 3808 amp then splits to my Kuro and Sanyo PJ.

Had previously tried following your other guides and had dts.hd showing on the amp but somehow got lost in the land of codecs so did a blitz and did a clean win7 install.

Now i've got mediabrowser installed, ffdshow standalone filters a la wolvers guide, the ffdshow files you mentioned in this post, mkvinfo, mkvmerge, anyhddvd, makemkv, mpc-hc v1.3.1735, tsmuxer. I think thats it.

Eveything is set to play via mpc-hc in mediacenter. If theres a better way i'd go for that.

Tried a couple of tsmuxer rips, Star Trek and Die Hard 4, but still no dts hd or True. The latest puzzle is that i'm getting only 'static' when playing back a makemkv PCM only rip of Cars?

Got MatroskaSplitter.ax sitting in my c drive and registered it in dos.

I have noticed that since following this guide when I play back in mpc-hc, if i right click 'audio' is now greyed out whereas i used to be able to access it and change soundtracks from commentary, etc now i can't.

any advice greatly appreciated, i'd be happy to start again if i need to.

thanks

Rob