Guide Plus/Video Plus

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nunew33, May 21, 2004.

1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just looked at american Specs for DVD recorders and they use a Gemstar TV guide for EPG style programming.

Do any of the current DVD recorders use this?

Is it something gaining pace in the UK. It doesnt seem to be mentioned anywhere. For example the Panny E85 in the US has it (the US equivelent that is) but I cant find it mentioned on the UK spec

2. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Philips DVDR80 uses its own internal EPG believe, all other recorders seem to use videoplus (Gemstar I believe own videoplus/showview), just different names for different countries, but Philips is the only one I know of where you can just cursor to the program you want and press enter on a current DVD recorder.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    No, the Philips DVDR80 uses the new Gemstar plus system and not it's own EPG

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive just done a bot of web research. And like you say it looks like philips are ahead of the game. Im sure the others will follow.

What a shame! looks good, point and click video programming.

Shame i dont want +rw.

5. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fair do's, splitting hairs a bit though, it is still the only DVD recorder that you do not have to set a videoplus timer is it not!!!

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Splitting hairs?

No not really, I see you're new to these forums.

Welcome

7. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hahahaha - I'm sorry I didn't know that if you had only sent several posts you had no knowledge of anything, christ get a life mate

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Actually my 'welcome' was genuine and wasn't meant to sound sarcastic.

But forget it.

At least you have an appropriate name.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    GEMSTAR Guideplus is widely used on US systems where it is widely supported and will be for a long time. However - apart from Philips companies have not included it on UK models due to the fact that it isn't quite as slick as the US version (it has considerably less bandwidth and is run on a fraction of the budget). However the main reason is that within this year we will see DVD recorders integrated with Freeview tuners which will already include a full, free 7 day EPG which, it is widely predicted, will make the GEMSTAR Guideplus somewhat redundant. However that doesn't detract from the fact that right now it makes the DVDR80 the most user-friendly DVDR available.

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rasczak, is that a prediction or have manufacturers announced DVD reorders with freeview integrated. (I still have time to cancel my preorder of the new Tosh)

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Nobody has announced anything officially yet (at least not with a demo model) but Sony have made little secret of the fact they have developed software the utilises the 7 day EPG of Freeview to enable TivO like features and that the model in question will be available THIS year. The new Sony models will be launched September time. Aside from that Thompson and Sharp have also heavily indicated that a Freeview DVDR will be forthcoming from them this year.

I have no doubt that the majority will not arrive until next year - certainly we will not see the current main players such as Panasonic release one until next year - but the first examples will be available by Christmas.

Is it worth waiting? Possibly - the new models will offer easy-to-use integration although won't necessarily offer better PQ (as, if the US/Japan route is followed, then the digital stream will be re-encoded as opposed to pure bitstream recording like he Pace Twin or Sky+). I would say if you planning to get a model like the DVDR80 beause of the EPG then wait as you may have better options coming. If you just want a DVDR then it's more questionable whether you will see anything much better than what is available now.

And I should point out if you DO consider waiting then the first Freeview DVDRs may not be the best: dual Freeview tuners might not be standard for example, Top Up TV will probably not be supported (bar Thompson) etc - and this on top of the standard issues relating to which DVDR to choose.

Not a very helpful reply I know - but it is too premature to say yet.

12. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im only thinking of my other half. Even videoplus is too technical. Video recording is a case of "Will you press record for me".

But from what you say whatever we get its not going to be great, im assuming that sky wouldnt be part of it and we dont watch anything on freeview so we'd get an EPG purely for channels 1-5.

Youve talked me out of waiting!