Guide Plus in Ireland using Sony RDR-HXD870

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by eamonkeown, Sep 21, 2007.

1. eamonkeown

eamonkeown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently bought the Sony DVD-R/HD Model RDR-HXD870 and it has a digiital and analogue tuner. I live in Northern Ireland I was hoping to use the Guide Plus for the analogue recordings on the RTE channels and EPG for the digital recordings on the other channels. Is this possible as i have not been able to achieve it

Also since it has 2 tuiners is it possible to record 2 programs at once?

Thanks

2. mrfreeview

mrfreeview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the HXD*70 range of machines you have to decide which EPG type you wish to use. Guide + or from DVB-T. See page 130 of the handbook "EPG Type Select"

What you canNOT do is "Have the best of both worlds" you have to select one or the other.

If you are using Guide (Digital) you might care to read this thread. There is a BUG in the HXD-*70 range of machines associated with recording via the digital EPG. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606120&page=4

I hope my post has been of use
    :)

3. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    no. it has twin tuners but only 1 is a digital tuner, the other is an analogue tuner, meaning you can record from 1 digital channel and watch an analogue channel (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 or Channel 5) at the same time.

no dvd recorders outside Japan have twin digital tuners.

4. mrfreeview

mrfreeview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nowhere in the handbook can I find this option, but that's not to say its not written.......somewhere!

However on Page 37 "To Watch another TV program whilst recording" there is a reference to doing just that except this would be watching the program via the tunner in the TV and NOT, it would appear, be the "other" tuner in the HXD.

I supect that once the "REC" button has been pressed the channel change is "Locked" for the duration of the recording.

With the HXD-*70 machines even if you press the "Pause" whilst in REC mode you cannot change between L1 and L2 inputs.....which is a bit poor as this was possible in the earlier RDR-HX1000.

I hope my post has been of use
    :)

5. eamonkeown

eamonkeown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. Looks like I will stick with the EPG as I don't like the Guide+. I'll just have to manually put in recordings for programs on analogue Irish channels unless anyone knows a better method.

I think the Sony RDR-HXD870 is a great machine with features such as series recording that I thought only Sky had but was hoping that it could record 2 programs at the same time. It seems if you are recording you cannot watch any of the Freeview channels even if you are recording an analogue channel which is also a bit disappointing but overall a great machine

One last thing does anyone know where I can get a e-version of the manual in pdf or any other format. I have looked around including the Sony website and can’t find it

Thanks for all your help

6. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    on the remote, there should be a button named something like Digital/Analogue which allows you to switch between the 2 tuners. i know the Samsung models have this button, so if the Sony has both analogue and digital tuners, i expect there to be this button on the remote somewhere.

maybe it doesn't allow you to watch the "other" tuner if recording from the first.

7. Myl24

Myl24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A pdf version of the manual for the RDR-HDD870 is available at http://support.sony-europe.com/manuals/manuals.aspx?l=en#m=RDR-HXD870. However, this manual is designed for the British market.

I recently purchased one of these recorders and found it quite complex to set up and I'm still trying to understand how this recorder functions and what its limitations are in Ireland when hooked up to digital cable. I would appreciate any advice or guidance that might be forthcoming!

The non availability of Guide Plus in Ireland is a handicap. Does anybody know why this facility is not available here or if there are any plans to make it available?

8. eamonkeown

eamonkeown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the manual - Thanks. I also thoght the set up was very complicated particularly the Guide Plus which i didn't like. I tried the Guide Plus thinking that if i put in my post code in Fermanagh which is close to the border that the Guide Plus might be able to show RTE channels making these easy to record but unfortunately not

9. alanmcn

alanmcn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have you had any luck with GuidePlus? I too have bought a HXD870 this week and am under-whelmed with the feature set for the Irish market. The user guide is not very relevant/intuitive for the Irish market either.

I have not been able to get the digital turner to detect any channels when I do a scan in the initial setup. I have an NTL digital subscription with a Pace set top box. Has anybody got this to work? Ireland doesn't seem to be listed in the country list in the set up for the digital tuner.

Thanks.

10. Georgie Burgess

Georgie Burgess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll only be able to scan the analogue channels. Digital tuners are useless in Ireland at the minute. You can however still record from any channel on your NTL Pace box. Manually set one of the channels to your NTL box and you can record that way. Don't think I'm making myself clear. I'm pretty tired :boring:

11. alanmcn

alanmcn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for confirming this. Setting the channels sounds interesting. Can you please give more information on how to do this when you get a chance?

Thanks again.

12. John Ryan

John Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The digital tuner in thew HXD870 will only work with Terestrial Digital, not NTL or SKY. You can still record from NTL Digital by connecting your NTL box to the Sony with a SCART lead. You will not be able to watch a different digital channel to the one you are recording though. You can still watch any analogue channel while recording digital or if you are recording an analogue channel you can watch digital or analogue.

Depending on where you live there is a chance you can get Irish Digital Terestrial with a small indoor aerial. It is on test at relatively high power from two transmitters, one in South Dublin the other in Louth. Only RTE 1 and 2, TV3, TG4 and a bunch of radio stations are available though.

To get the GuidePlus working put your country as UK and enter any NI postcode. Set the guide channel manually to analogue itv1 (utv) and it should work.

13. murcielago

murcielago
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, got an 870 recently and found that by setting the country to UK and the postal code to Belfast (BT1 4EE), then select Eurosport (Channel 423 on NTL) for the epg guide. Leave your digibox on channel 423 overnight, sometimes less, and voila, the guide is there. Note: by using the Belfast code, you will not get all the same channels that your box receives in the south i.e. TV3, TG4 and some others like Paramount 2, but for the channels is does get, it's probably worth it. You will then have to access the editor menu and "map" the channels accordingly i.e. Ext Receiver 1 for scart and then the channel NTL transmits that station on. Hope this helps.:lesson: