Guide: Playing frame-packed 3D with madVR

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by BugblatterII, May 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BugblatterII

BugblatterII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hi; a few people have been having trouble getting this working. I'm no expert but I have got it working well so I can give a few pointers. Others can perhaps fill in the gaps.

You will need:

MPC-HC with LAV filters v0.68 or later. You can download the LAV filters separately (which I did initially and they worked) but it's now simpler to get the latest MPC-HC nightly which has them already baked-in. Nightlies here: MPC-HC Nightly Builds

madVR. The latest full release is fine: madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted) - Doom9's Forum

Windows 10. Windows 8 and 8.1 might work (please let us know); Windows 7 won't.

I found KODI with DSPlayer too inconsistent so I stuck with MPC-HC; others might be able to provide guidance for getting them working.

In MPC-HC options go to Playback - Output and set DirectShow Video to madVR.

Play a video and while it's playing go to your system tray and double-click on the madVR icon. Go to your device, then its properties tab and look at what the 3D format is sent to. I use auto for my LG OLED and that sends frame-packed 3D to the TV. This means the TV switches into 3D mode automatically.

In madVR settings go to Rendering - Stereo 3D. Tick enable stereo 3D playback. Tick when playing 3D content and select enable.

That should be about it for the player settings. Now comes the fun Windows bit. I have an Nvidia card so I'll let others comment on using Intel or AMD cards.

If you have a secondary display (e.g. a monitor) then you need to disable it. You'll also have to do this every time you want to watch something in 3D.

Set up stereoscopic 3D on your display in the Nvidia control panel and enable it. You won't see the option for it if you have a secondary monitor enabled (at least I don't, although my secondary monitor isn't a 3D one).

That should be about it. When you play a 3D bluray or MKV it should play in 3D.

Now this is how it worked for me, but that doesn't guarantee that it'll work for everyone else, or that I haven't forgotten a bit. However it should get you started at least, and you can ask here for help from myself and others.

Good luck! :)

Edit: thanks to @sat4all for pointing out some extra steps.

Even though the 0.68 LAV filters are now built into MPC-HC they don't handle 3D. You need to install the latest LAV filters (Index of /lavf/nightly) as external filters in MPC-HC (I'd already done this because when I set all this up the 0.68 LAVs weren't baked into MPC-HC). When you install the filters be sure to tick the box for the 3D option.

There are several ways to make sure you're using the external LAVs rather than the internal ones. Personally I deleted the contents of the LAV directory in the MPC-HC folder, which made the buttons for the internal filters disabled. Then I added the external LAVs and everything worked nicely.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. famasfilms

famasfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    This now plays the Top Gun 3d bluray ISO that originally prompted our discussion in the 950 thread. It auto detects the 3d signal and the 3d looks a lot better than when I used pdvd.

Still having a play but it seems when playing 3d sbs files the TV auto detects the 3d but won't let me change the 3d mode.

3. famasfilms

famasfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    hmm, installed the latest madvr and now it's not auto detecting the 3D and manually activating the 3D mode on the TV makes Top Gun look 2.5D again.

"Play a video and while it's playing go to your system tray and double-click on the madVR icon. Go to your device, then its properties tab and look at what the 3D format is sent to. I use auto for my LG OLED and that sends frame-packed 3D to the TV."

Can't seem to find this setting in madvr either.

Also in Nvidia control panel -> stereoscopic 3d -> stereoscopic 3d display type, I can choose between "3d tv play" (because I installed the nvidia 3d tv play trial) or "HDMI checkerboard", which is the correct one?

4. BugblatterII

BugblatterII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    The 3D format is probably already set to auto unless you've changed it, and if you can't find it then you probably haven't ;)

In madVR settings it's the top folder 'devices', then 'LG Electronics LG TV', then 'properties'.

If you don't already have display mode switching enabled then it's worth doing. For your device, under 'display modes', tick the box at the top to switch mode (and the second box to switch back) and list all the display modes you want it to handle. My list is '1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p50, 1080p60, 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p50, 2160p60'. Not really necessary for 3D but it'll take you into 1080p 3D mode a little more conveniently.

I'm using madVR v0.90.18 btw.

I found that 3DTV Play just got in the way so I uninstalled it. I think it still pretended to be there once I'd uninstalled it, right up until the trial period ran out.

From memory I think I had it set to 3D TV Play but I couldn't swear to it. Now that 3D TV Play has properly disappeared from my system it says 'HDMI Blu-Ray 3D'.

5. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,215
    i've never used madvr to refresh rate switch as kodi and MPC usually do it ok. This is doing my box in now, I cant get 3d to work at all now, it must be a lav filter problem as it doesnt work in DSPLAYER either, cant think what;s wrong a all, ***

6. possante87

possante87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With this setup mpc-hc will play 3d iso?

7. BugblatterII

BugblatterII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Yes, although I mount the ISO as a drive (Windows 10 has this functionality built in but there are other ways to do it).

I'm pretty sure MPC-HC can play the ISO without mounting it, I think I just found it more reliable to mount it and play the mounted drive (it was a while ago I tried all the different ways of doing it).

8. robl45

robl45
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got this to work with ISO and subtitles? Works fine with ISO for me, but I never get subtitles. I have to convert the ISO to MKV to get subtitles.

9. connect

connect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I'm trying to find a way of watching 3D mkv files (frame packed).

Is there a way with this method to view the files on your computer hard drive from the LG TV. Click the file and it plays in 3D?

10. BugblatterII

BugblatterII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I tried everything I could think of on the 950, including the built-in player and other TV apps, and never got it working.

The only thing that worked for me was playing the files on the PC through the TV.

11. connect

connect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    What set up did you use? What software we on the PC? What software did you use on the TV?

12. BugblatterII

BugblatterII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    It's all in the first post.