Guide on which brand media player to select (Dune, OPPO (clone), Zappiti and Zidoo)

Need to check this but the font is variable in all aspects so I think it works.
TTF can be uploaded and next used as subtitle font too. So you can even make your own.
This with the most recent FW update.

Last edited:
Maybe if it wouldn't be difficult for you to put a screenshot of what the subtitle settings look like or put a picture of the video with subtitles. I'm thinking of buying a Duno or a Zidoo. Thank you

Both Dune and Zidoo include excellent subtitle handling with all options one needs. Not a real difference.

Only Zidoo does external subtitles in combination with playing BD ISO/Folder with Menu. But handling/playing the BD menu itself is far better/reliable with Dune. There is a choice to be made if BD Menu is relevant. For MKV they are about the same.

On-demand subtitles is also available from both but only Zidoo allows them to be stored and next reused with any media player.

Last edited:
Updated the review on several places with latest FW updates/announcements of Dune and Zidoo.
Above all the new Music Player 7 from Zidoo got some serious improvements.

Last edited:
@Nice Monkey: ok, when we just look at a good mediaplayer for watching 4k movies in DV or HDR+ with good sound and menu's etc.
And use the XLR-l/R output for nice 2-channel audio via a sound processor (i have a Yamaha CX-A5200 with ES9026 PRO x 2 dac's) and MCH via passthrough of ripped and's iso's;
what would you choose; the Zidoo uhd3000 or the dune hd Ultra Vision 4K?

i don't think you can include egreat there support is none existent in my experience with the a11 they release them and forget there boxes and customers with no support .
What about this new A20?
No DV on this player but the first one to do 8K at 120Hz

What about this new A20?
No DV on this player but the first one to do 8K at 120Hz
that looks very interesting and tempting if you have a 8k tv ,is the there going to be a eu release or is it just for the Chinese market ,im just downloading the new modded firmware E_ CS

A20 is announced and on demo but not for sales yet it seems. I guess it will be for the local Chinese/Asian market only.

All recent Egreat players like A9 v3, A13 and A15 have both Chinese and English menus (Chinese being default). They also come with multiple APP's for local TV streaming services.

Last edited:
Does Zidoo support and DV

Last edited:
Does Zidoo support and DVB subtitle?
Thanks
I don't get the question. DVB subtitle (that is livestream subtitles)? They typical include these yes.
Zidoo is not specifically strong in streaming video services as the providers don't support media boxes well.

Not livesteaming subtitles.

Last edited:
Ah got confused with DVB subtitles which i thought was an extension type.
But you are talking about subtitles in DVB Transport Streams residing within a TS container.
I think my Egreat plays those?

Have still a VU+ STB for recording and playing those broadcast streams. But these can be converted too.
In effect stopped doing so years ago.

@Nice Monkey Think my egreat A5 is on the road out. Any opinions on what player is best to replace it with? All this is used for is playing remux rips via my HDD's - nothing else.
I love the egreat library - always gets the correct poster when a new one is added. Any others have a similar set up?
Egreat seamless playback of 4k Atmos files makes it such a user friendly player.
Needs to have a minimum of 3 USB slots.

Appreciate any others input too.

Hey!

I am trying to replace my (12 years old and still flawlessly working!) HDI Dune HD Base 3.0 media player (to get support for newer video codec formats, gigabit ethernet and USB 3.0/3.1).

I bought a Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo (Realtek RTD1619DR, 4GB RAM, Android 9.0), but I have serious problems with it's playback:

1.) When using the coaxial S/PDIF digital audio output, I get strange noise when I pause a video and a terrible loud clicking sound when I resume it! Tried with latest stable and latest beta FW. And with different cables. Also tried the optical digital audio output and that does the same!
So coaxial and optical audio outputs are useless because of this...

2.) Had problem with playback of MKV files with DTS audio track (1510 kbps):
When starting or resuming (after pause) the film (Avatar.Extended.Collectors.Edition.Repack.2010.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264.Hun-OnlyMux), the sound and video stutters for about 7 seconds and they are not in sync. Then the playback freezes for a very short time and then they are synced properly and the playback is good from there.

3.) In general starting movies and the pause / resume playback feels very cheap, they don't happen instantly and the sound starts playing only few seconds after the video...

My old player had/has none of the above problems! It plays everything (what it is able to play) smooth, has no problems with coax or optical digital audio out and also starting film and pause/resume work as supposed.

My questions:
  • Are all new media players based on Android so buggy?
  • Or I just have bad luck with this one?
  • Can you recommend me one that works well in all aspects?
  • Can the Realtek RTD1619DR CPU work well with Android? (I saw all new Dune/Zidoo/Zappiti players all based on it...)
My goals:
  • Playing all video and audio formats (and smoothly, no stutters at all!)
  • Gigabit ethernet (my old player has only 100 Mbit...)
  • At least two USB 3.0/3.1 and/or SATA3 ports (my old player has one SATA3 and two USB 2.0)
  • Fanless operation (using only SSDs)
  • Ability to operate as a simple NAS, so should have an integrated Samba server (my old player has one and works well, but uses only the SMB 1.5 dialect (SMB 3.x would be better))
  • Starting playback and pause/resume should happen almost instantly
  • Coaxial and digital audio outputs should not produce any noise or clicking at all
  • A nicely working media library with metadata download and ability to download subtitles (e.g. from OpenSubtitles.org) like in Infuse 7 on Apple TV would be nice as a bonus :)
(I also have an Apple TV 4K and used it with Infuse for a long time flawlessly, but v7.3.7 introduced a random micro stutter problem for me and they could not fix it since 8 months(!). It appears also with the latest 3rd gen HW. And there is no way to downgrade an app on tvOS. So Infuse is buggy for me at the moment...)

Last edited:

My questions:
  • Are all new media players based on Android so buggy? YES
  • Or I just have bad luck with this one? NO
  • Can you recommend me one that works well in all aspects? IT DOESN´T EXIST
  • Can the Realtek RTD1619DR CPU work well with Android? NO
There is nothing like old Sigma Designs chipsets, if you don´t mind about HDR get a Dune HD Duo 4K

It is what it is.

There is nothing like old Sigma Designs chipsets, if you don´t mind about HDR get a Dune HD Duo 4K

It is what it is.

Thanks for the answer, that is really sad! :(
I would switch to a Dune HD Duo 4K, but it is discontinued and I also do not find any used ones...

Are you absolutely sure that all new Android based players are buggy?
In a hungarian forum I red nice things about Zidoo Z9X.
It supposedly does not have the problems I mentioned above.

But I rephrase my question then:
Which one is the less buggiest Android/Realtek RTD1619DR based media player? :)

Thanks for the answer, that is really sad! :(
I would switch to a Dune HD Duo 4K, but it is discontinued and I also do not find any used ones...

Are you absolutely sure that all new Android based players are buggy?
In a hungarian forum I red nice things about Zidoo Z9X.
It supposedly does not have the problems I mentioned above.

But I rephrase my question then:
Which one is the less buggiest Android/Realtek RTD1619DR based media player? :)
I've got a Zidoo Z9X and I've had no problems with it I'm not sure what you mean by buggy I've had no problems with it playing any of my movies

I've got a Zidoo Z9X and I've had no problems with it I'm not sure what you mean by buggy I've had no problems with it playing any of my movies

I ment the problems I have with my new Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo player, see above (Today at 12:32 PM)!
It seems this player has serious problems with playing DTS soundtracks (I figured out that the noise/clicking through coax/optical output is also DTS-related!).
And it can not nicely start, pause/resume any movie...

But if Zidoo Z9X has no similar problems, then it would be good for me!

On the other hand gymnos wrote above that all Android based players have similar problems...

I ment the problems I have with my new Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo player, see above (Today at 12:32 PM)!
It seems this player has serious problems with playing DTS soundtracks (I figured out that the noise/clicking through coax/optical output is also DTS-related!).
And it can not nicely start, pause/resume any movie...

But if Zidoo Z9X has no similar problems, then it would be good for me!

On the other hand gymnos wrote above that all Android based players have similar problems...

I've got a number of movies with DTS-HD master audio tracks and I've never had and issues but I've got no coaxial/optical connections everything is through hdmi as this enables HD audio which optical doesn't max DD+

I've got a number of movies with DTS-HD master audio tracks and I've never had and issues but I've got no coaxial/optical connections everything is through hdmi as this enables HD audio which optical doesn't max DD+

Okay, thanks!

Are using the dual HDMI output feature?
Using the Audio only port for sound may produce clicks at mover re-start. It depends on the AMP how bad that is.

Using the main port for both sound and video it doe not happen by knowledge and experience.

Are using the dual HDMI output feature?
Using the Audio only port for sound may produce clicks at mover re-start. It depends on the AMP how bad that is.

Using the main port for both sound and video it doe not happen by knowledge and experience.

Thanks!

No, I was trying to use the coaxial and optical S/PDIF (on 3 different players, including Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo).
(HDMI and HDMI Audio Only does not produce the annoying clicking sound at Pause/Resume.)
So coaxial and optical digital outs are practically useless... :(

I think the problem is that Dune's and Android's media player completely stops the audio stream at pausing the video (my AV receiver shows no 5.1 signal at pause) and the reinitializes it again at Resume (that causes the loud click when using DTS format). Instead of just pausing the playback of the audio stream (KODI can do that on the same hardware (but different drivers) and there are no clicks!)...

Last edited:

It is what it is.

Sadly you are absolutely right! :(

On this week I tested these 3 Realtek RTD1619D + Android based players:
  • Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo
  • Zidoo Z9X
  • Dune HD Real Vision 4K
All have the same annoying bugs regarding to playback!
Starting video and Pause/Resume also works about the same.
(Zidoo Z9X is the worst in video starting because it can not set the proper framerate BEFORE starting...)

I am very disappointed. :(

My HDI Dune HD Base 3.0 works well since 12 years!
(It is just a little outdated, no gigabit ethernet, no USB 3.0, no H.265, etc.)

Also Apple TV 4K (1st gen) + Infuse 6 worked me flawless for about a year, then in Infuse v7.3.7 a new bug was introduced (rare random micro-stutters) and is unfixed since 9 months(!!!).
And Infuse 6 was removed from App Store (and I did not bought a lifetime licence).
So now I have no access to the old version, that worked well.
(I also bought the newest Apple TV 4k (3st gen) 128GB, but does not help with this bug.
It is really inside Infuse. See here: link
Sadly only few people are noticing it and even fewer are reporting it to the developers.
So they do not hurry to fix it...)

Are there really no really good media players in stores currently?

I am using an older 1080p SDR TV (Sony Bravia KDL-43W755C) and a very old receiver (Onkyo TX-NR708). So I just need 1080p and 5.1 sound (no need for 4K, HDR or HD audio formats).
But I want to play everything flawless! No occassionally frame drops. No clicking sound. LOL
(As I wrote my HDI Dune HD Base 3.0 can still do it. But I can't find anything else that can it too.)

So no solution at all? :)

Newest Android 12 based TV boxes with latest KODI are buggy too?

(I installed latest KODI on Dune HD Real Vision 4K and it is far more better than Dune's own player and Andorid's built-in media player. KODI does not produce the loud clicks on the optical output (I think because it is not using the buggy Realtek drivers)! But it is not optimized to this hardware, so not everything is working (for example Dolby Digital Plus is not)...)

Last edited:
Sadly you are absolutely right! :(

On this week I tested these 3 Realtek RTD1619D + Android based players:
  • Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo
  • Zidoo Z9X
  • Dune HD Real Vision 4K
All have the same annoying bugs regarding to playback!
Starting video and Pause/Resume also works about the same.
(Zidoo Z9X is the worst in video starting because it can not set the proper framerate BEFORE starting...)

I am very disappointed. :(
What annoying bugs are you referring to exactly? No issues here with both a Real Vision and a Max Vision.

HB

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom