Guide: HDR TVs for gamers - 2016 Edition

Interested to see how the other LGs fair, I know someone with a fairly cheap LG using HDR and he loves it

Out of all the LG LCD's the 630v looks the most interesting since it seems it may not use an IPS panel. Unless you need the wider viewing angles of an IPS screen I would generally say there are better choices out there than the LG LCDs if only for this one reason.

I love my LG UH8500. Great picture , both types of HDR, great OS. Crisp picture from any viewing angle too.

Great write up, well done. Looking for a 43" 4k/hdr for ps4 pro. Thinking of the sony 807/8 but how do these stack up with a 1080p signal? since 99% of games will still be 1080p at best.

They are fine with a FHD signal. For better HDR you could also consider the Samsung KS7500 series, its a curved only model. Sadly Samsung don't do a flat KS series tv at 43"

seems everything is pointing to hanging on till the 2017 releases, hdr introducing extra lag is ridiculous for gamers. Hopefully we will see a big improvement next year.

After two Hisense 40m3300 returned and refunded I bought the Samsung KU6000 and it's way better then the units I tried.
The gray uniformity and banding( vertical and huge horizontal) was awful on the two Hisense units, the OS was laggy and in 4k gaming I could notice a little input lag...and there is no update for HDMI 2.0a on 40" models yet .
My KU6000 has great gray uniformity, no bleeding, way less banding and in 4k gaming the input lag remains very low.
I think this KU6000 is really the best budget TV for 4k HDR gaming

Gonna go for the ks7500 i think will wait for a good price, all around ÂŁ900 atm.

Bit the bullet and bought the samsung 7500 and an xbox one s as a uhd player. Cant wait till next march lol.

Question about what my best choice is... I will be buying a 65" z9d or a 75" ks9000. I plan to watch movies and game of course. Sitting about 11 feet away, what would you guys suggest?

At that distance with UHD you'll definitely benefit from the bigger screen size. HDR will be a lot better on the smaller screen though so it's a question of what is more important to you? Good HDR or noticing UHD more?

At that distance with UHD you'll definitely benefit from the bigger screen size. HDR will be a lot better on the smaller screen though so it's a question of what is more important to you? Good HDR or noticing UHD more?
A lot better because of z9d's ability or hdr just generally better on a smaller screen? I'm leaning towards the Sony.

Last edited:
Better because the ZD9's ability to show HDR. It's supposed to be the best HDR TV to date beating the Samsung KS9500, Panasonic DX-902 and LG OLEDs for HDR.

The ZD9 also has double the input lag compared to the Samsung, if you're after a gaming tv, then surely this heavily favours the Samsung?

Depends how sensitive you are too input lag. Whilst some people notice that difference most will be fine with <50 ms. I guess it also depends on the game you play.

The KS9500 would be a good choice inbetween them too.

Above 30ms and I can feel the difference. Guess I'm a sensitive guy :)

Starting to look at getting a 4K TV for gaming that will eventually be paired with an Xbox Scorpio.

Is it worth getting one of this years modesl or waiting to see what comes out next year?

Starting to look at getting a 4K TV for gaming that will eventually be paired with an Xbox Scorpio.

Is it worth getting one of this years modesl or waiting to see what comes out next year?
That's what I'm doing, only the Samsung KS8000/9000 range are looking good gaming TVs for me this year, but I'm waiting till next year hoping for something better.

I personally would wait, this year really the only mid range tv to buy for decent HDR are the Samsung KS series, hopefully next year other manufacturers will bring out some more tv's just as good if not better for HDR. It should also push prices down.

Brilliant right up, thanks. Although has just pushed my budget up a couple hundred pounds so thanks for that, hahaha. The ks7000 reviews amazingly and has to be got, Ps pro we shall meet after Christmas I guess, lol.
Great work and thanks again

Great thread.

Seems samsungs KS series is the way forward for gamers. Shame about LG's oleds cant a firmware update fix it guess they'll push on the next years models then

Great thread.

Seems samsungs KS series is the way forward for gamers. Shame about LG's oleds cant a firmware update fix it guess they'll push on the next years models then

They just released a firmware update for the B6 and didn't change anything input lag wise... but that model was kind of unaffected compared to the others. If they do release a firmware update for the others I still think you may be looking at highish figures in HDR mode.

@pesser spoke to soon. rtings.com tested the B6 OLED with a new firmware update and input lag is now 38.2ms with HDR which is very reasonable.

Not sure why input lag is still very high with only 4:4:4 chroma though, does anyone know what chroma the new consoles output when not using HDR?

Okay so I have a 43ks7500, which I thought would be perfect for the PS4 pro but I'm a little unsure about the HDR in game mode. I've updated the tv software and am now able to get HDR in game mode, the message comes up and when I press info it confirms I'm running HDR in 4k, however when I go to picture settings the backlight is set to only 14. When I turn of game mode the backlight shoots up to 20 and the picture looks a lot better to my eyes. Just wanted to know if I'm getting the full HDR experience in game mode or is this some watered down version or even not at all. This is while playing the updated Ratchet and Clank on PS4 btw.

You should try some more games if possible and see if the situation is the same ...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom