Guide: HDR TVs for gamers - 2016 Edition

Genetrik

Standard Member
Thanks guys. Very much appreciate your input.
@Dodgexander: Yeah I had read your great post and your part about "HDR to wow you the most" re-confirms my belief that the ZD9 may simply be the best option for me even though the price different makes me question a little bit my own sanity. I simply don't want to wait any longer and the additional brightness of the E7 may according to some other discussions I've read only result in 10% more which I doubt will make a great difference compared to the ZD9. But that is only my assumption of course.

Regarding motion blur: What exactly does that mean in practice? If I e.g. play a third person shooter and I rotate the camera quickly around the character, then there will be more blur on the ZD9 then the E6?

Dodgexander

There's more to it than this but think of response time (different from input lag) which is the amount of time it takes for a pixel to be drawn on the screen. LCDs take a long time to display each pixel compared to an OLED.

Your example is correct, quick moving images (imagine a race car zoom by) will be more blurry with an LCD then with an OLED.

In practice you or I wouldn't notice much of a difference even comparing techs side by side. That's because unless motion blur is very high it's usually not noticeable for most people.

Genetrik

Standard Member
There's more to it than this but think of response time (different from input lag) which is the amount of time it takes for a pixel to be drawn on the screen. LCDs take a long time to display each pixel compared to an OLED.

Your example is correct, quick moving images (imagine a race car zoom by) will be more blurry with an LCD then with an OLED.

In practice you or I wouldn't notice much of a difference even comparing techs side by side. That's because unless motion blur is very high it's usually not noticeable for most people.

Thanks for the additional explanation. I also just saw that another local store now has the LG 65E6 at EUR 3199. Dammit I am not sure I can justify the price difference to the ZD9 with this kind of difference...

Sallahudin786

Standard Member
Dodge can you tell me if lag is improved on XD93 at the current firmwire , secondly are the blacks and overall contrast better on sony or Samsung ks8000?

Lamboy

Thanks for the additional explanation. I also just saw that another local store now has the LG 65E6 at EUR 3199. Dammit I am not sure I can justify the price difference to the ZD9 with this kind of difference...

Are you really considering a more expensive LED over a cheaper OLED? Wow, that does not compute for me. OLED all the way, it will also be worth more should you decide to sell in a year or two making an even better proposition.

Dodgexander

XD93 lag for HDR is reduced with the recent Sony update but it's still almost 60ms

This is likely fine for most people but it is on the high side nowadays.

Not sure what you mean by bend. If it mean if you can adjust it from side to side yes if your mount does. The TV acts the same as any TV would on a mount so if your mount bends so will the attached TV.

As for the ZD9 vs E6 the ZD9 wins by far with HDR. The E6 with SDR.

Genetrik

Standard Member
Are you really considering a more expensive LED over a cheaper OLED? Wow, that does not compute for me. OLED all the way, it will also be worth more should you decide to sell in a year or two making an even better proposition.

Well it is indeed a very tough call for me and I haven't decided yet. But I will use the TV mostly solely with the PS4 Pro, thus most of my usage will be tied to HDR gaming.

Getinthehole!

Great thread here lots of good info.
I am looking for a large television 70-80 screen size mainly for gaming with a PS4 in a playroom and will look to add some kind of 5.1 system.

I am hoping to buy a television at a good price based on new models being released. When is the optimum time to do this?

What would you recommend screen wise?

Genetrik

Standard Member
Just to report back. Quick summary on my case: I was trying to decide between the LG 65E6 OLED and the 65 ZD9. The LG here in Finland is considerably cheaper (current offer price difference is 1500 EUR). Main usage would gaming with a Playstation Pro.
At the local market, we hooked up the Pro with both TVs and tested it with Uncharted 4 (level where you have a boat and can explore several small islands). The ZD9 had a much more fluid picture when we rotated the camera quickly around the character. With the E6 the picture looked like it would from time to time stutter a bit. Nothing dramatic but surprising nonetheless. When we deactivated on the Sony the HDR, the difference was neglectable. I am sure other people with hawk eyes would have immediately spotted the difference but not me. Overall picture quality seemed outstanding on both. They were not placed right next to each other so I can't comment on clear differences though.

Unfortunately the test with the E6 was tainted, as the store did not have the latest firmware update installed, which brings HDR support to game mode. Despite our efforts of installing it, it didn't work out. So ultimately we couldn't really test the E6 under fair conditions.

Bottom line:
I really wanted to leave with a new TV but I am now a bit in limbo. There is no question that both are amazing TVs. On paper the ZD9 should be the better TV for me as HDR brightness should make a difference during gaming (at least that is my assumption). But even with this unfair comparison, I did not see a difference among these great TVs, that would warrant based on my personal opinion, a price difference of EUR 1500. Also there are several things that I like with the LG more: The TV itself I subjectively consider prettier, the remote is more premium and the operating system seems to be nicer as well.

So I am not sure but there is a good chance that I will wait now a bit more (no matter how much it iches) and compare the 2017 E7 VS the Sony OLED. But waiting until June or later.... dang.

donjayok

Novice Member
I'm currently considering either the Panasonic TX-58DX750B and the Samsung 60KS7000 for my living room, the viewing distance is 3 metres. While both look great tellyboxes, from what I have read, the Samsung is better for gaming (I have a PS4 Pro). Could someone advise which one would be better to buy please?....Thank you very much.

Dodgexander

I'm currently considering either the Panasonic TX-58DX750B and the Samsung 60KS7000 for my living room, the viewing distance is 3 metres. While both look great tellyboxes, from what I have read, the Samsung is better for gaming (I have a PS4 Pro). Could someone advise which one would be better to buy please?....Thank you very much.

The Samsung is by far for HDR. Although HDR won't be affected, 3M is too far to notice a increase in quality through resolution alone with UHD.

Great thread here lots of good info.
I am looking for a large television 70-80 screen size mainly for gaming with a PS4 in a playroom and will look to add some kind of 5.1 system.

I am hoping to buy a television at a good price based on new models being released. When is the optimum time to do this?

What would you recommend screen wise?

Recommendations are in the OP and I also posted in your created thread. Really you are limited to 65" at your budget if you want decent HDR. Otherwise at 75" the only in budget model would be the Hisense M7900 which I'm sure is a nice TV, just doesn't have much HDR support.

Bottom line:
I really wanted to leave with a new TV but I am now a bit in limbo. There is no question that both are amazing TVs. On paper the ZD9 should be the better TV for me as HDR brightness should make a difference during gaming (at least that is my assumption). But even with this unfair comparison, I did not see a difference among these great TVs, that would warrant based on my personal opinion, a price difference of EUR 1500. Also there are several things that I like with the LG more: The TV itself I subjectively consider prettier, the remote is more premium and the operating system seems to be nicer as well.

So I am not sure but there is a good chance that I will wait now a bit more (no matter how much it iches) and compare the 2017 E7 VS the Sony OLED. But waiting until June or later.... dang.

Well its a measure of next to no motion blur vs brighter HDR. Waiting for the 2017 OLEDs may be your best bet.

squirtis

Novice Member
I'm looking at the Samsungs, aiming at a KS8000, but i have a few questions maybe someone, or Dodgexander since he compiled this list, can answer.

1. It looks like most retailers are out of stock of the KS8000, is the new one releasing soon or something? I saw them on sale for 1,000, which seems like a decent deal.

2. Is there a difference between an 8000 and 8500 other than curve? The 9500 makes the top of this list, yet the 9000 is listed is mid-tier... Is there something else that's different with the curve screen that makes them better? I would rather have a flat regular screen, and am just curious.

3. When browsing these TVs (I'm in the US) i see other model numbers of KU8000 or MU7000 or whatever series number. Are the KUs or MUs different in some notable way?

Thanks guys, i have an old Panasonic 42" Plasma that has been great, but it might be time to move to 4k. Regards

Last edited:

Dodgexander

KS8000 is a 2016 model so stock is running out, Samsung haven't really replaced it with a like equivalent in 2017. The M8000 is the closest but lacks decent HDR. The lower MU series are almost identical to the KU series.

The Q7 is the model you want but it's a lot higher priced compared to what the KS series were priced at release. Don't really know why.

Closest performer price/value wise will be the KS8500(same as the KS8000) higher end KS9000 (same as KS9500).

If not the LG B6 and C6 would be next best..then perhaps the Sony X900E although the latter being a 2017 model is still a bit overpriced.

Beware the models I mentioned are all North American model numbers, the names differ to those in the EU.

squirtis

Novice Member
KS8000 is a 2016 model so stock is running out, Samsung haven't really replaced it with a like equivalent in 2017. The M8000 is the closest but lacks decent HDR. The lower MU series are almost identical to the KU series.

The Q7 is the model you want but it's a lot higher priced compared to what the KS series were priced at release. Don't really know why.

Closest performer price/value wise will be the KS8500(same as the KS8000) higher end KS9000 (same as KS9500).

If not the LG B6 and C6 would be next best..then perhaps the Sony X900E although the latter being a 2017 model is still a bit overpriced.

Beware the models I mentioned are all North American model numbers, the names differ to those in the EU.

Thanks for the reply. Hm, a lot of what you're calling out as equivalent to the KS8000 are a lot more money... Sounds like that was the best bang for buck option. Is the MU9000 not as good as a KS8000? You said the M series lacks decent HDR. I'm not sure why they make all the different lines so complicated to understand the differences.

Dodgexander

Yes it was the best bang for buck, short in supply now unfortunately.

No its not as good, the MU series is a replacement to the KU series. They aren't good HDR performers because the colour coverage and brightness isn't good with HDR.

So last years high end is better than this years low end.

squirtis

Novice Member
that's sad news :( i guess i wait.

edit - i just found a KS8000 on joesav.com for 870 shipped. it's new with a 1 year samsung warranty. I've never bought a tv online as i want it to be perfect with no dead pixels etc. Has anyone used this online retailer before and are they legit? anyone know the chances of getting a set with dead pixels?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier